Will DCA be around in 5 years?

Will DCA be around in 5 years?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Will DCA be around in 5 years?

• Yes
    • No

29 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

I remember the Renegades. Knew a few BD and Vanguard people who joined too. Me, Stephan and other friends were being encouraged to join but we didn’t. Could never understand what they were trying to accomplish. Most ruined a perfectly wonderful junior drum corps career joining them, many had won DCI World Championships. 

sometimes going out isn't all about the win. The Renegades were very popular, especially when they first started coming in...big, loud, screamers, some cool concepts...actually would have been 4th one year but darn that Lisa Lisa for crossing the line. And for a decade, placement be ######, they kept coming in. Several of their years they were ###### good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, 00Sop said:

The hard truth is much of DCA's fan base that was there in the 90's and early 00's is dead (literally) or too old to get out much now.  I don't know that I ever saw a Championship crowd bigger than 5,000 - 6,000 and much of that crowd was made up of alumni and their families.  Few people with no direct connection to DCA were being pulled off the street.  DCI has the advantage of a limitless farm system of high school and college band kids with parents willing to do and pay whatever it takes to let Jack or Jill live out their DCI dreams.  And every town DCI goes to has high school bands who want to see what it's all about.  I remember being starry eyed when the Scouts, Bridgemen and Suncoast Sound came to my high school.  Which name would pique the interest of a high school kid more, Blue Devils or [insert name of DCA corps here]?  

who knows, DCA doesn't even try

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

edit and thanks to Ron Allard: found RCA championship webpage and MBI there twice over the roughly 10 years and Maumee OH Demons once and everyone else NE US and Ontario. Still looking for good ICA championship info

I'd never even heard of the Maumee Demons before reading your post. Checking DCX, I find that senior corps, founded in 1952, is described as a "marching and maneuvering corps" -- what does that mean? And that the Demons were "strong in the Midwest Senior Association in the late 1960s" -- a circuit I've never heard of either. (Admittedly that mostly just reveals my ignorance.) So Also, and perhaps more importantly, I see that the same organization in 1961 launched a junior corps, the Maumee Suns, who later changed their name to the Glassmen.

21 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

sometimes going out isn't all about the win. The Renegades were very popular, especially when they first started coming in...big, loud, screamers, some cool concepts...actually would have been 4th one year but darn that Lisa Lisa for crossing the line. And for a decade, placement be ######, they kept coming in. Several of their years they were ###### good.

I thought they were highly enjoyable even in their tenth place finish in their final year, 2012 -- the only one I saw live.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I'd never even heard of the Maumee Demons before reading your post. Checking DCX, I find that senior corps, founded in 1952, is described as a "marching and maneuvering corps" -- what does that mean? And that the Demons were "strong in the Midwest Senior Association in the late 1960s" -- a circuit I've never heard of either. (Admittedly that mostly just reveals my ignorance.) So Also, and perhaps more importantly, I see that the same organization in 1961 launched a junior corps, the Maumee Suns, who later changed their name to the Glassmen.

I’m reading marching and maneuvering as they did field shows (competition) and not just a parade corps. And.i didn’t know Midwest Sr was around late 60s. There was (is?) a site with Drum Corps News articles which I got most of my 60s info but that only has ca 1962-1967.

• Thanks 1

Just now, JimF-LowBari said:

I’m reading marching and maneuvering as they did field shows (competition) and not just a parade corps. And.i didn’t know Midwest Sr was around late 60s. There was (is?) a site with Drum Corps News articles which I got most of my 60s info but that only has ca 1962-1967.

Any librarians here? Does anyone know if there are libraries that hold copies of Drum Corps News or Drum Corps World or other drum corps journalism? It wouldn't be a far-fetched thing for those to be saved somewhere. My other principal area of fandom is The Lord of the Rings, and there are several libraries which hold some very obscure publications by Tolkien fan groups.

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

1) lack of marketing

2) lack of a decent championship venue coupled with a venue not near where most of the corps come from ( aka closest corps is an hour away)

There's a third aspect that I'm surprised hasn't been brought up so far from what I've seen- the perception that there is no competitive parity among the corps in the circuit. With 2 exceptions, the same corps has won for more than a decade (and the other 2 corps that won during that time period have either folded or haven't come out to DCA for the last few years and may not be coming back anytime soon). If there's a presumption that there's nobody else that can compete with the perpetual champions, I figure that has to be driving down interest both among fans and potential members of other corps as well.

12 minutes ago, Galen said:

There's a third aspect that I'm surprised hasn't been brought up so far from what I've seen- the perception that there is no competitive parity among the corps in the circuit. With 2 exceptions, the same corps has won for more than a decade (and the other 2 corps that won during that time period have either folded or haven't come out to DCA for the last few years and may not be coming back anytime soon). If there's a presumption that there's nobody else that can compete with the perpetual champions, I figure that has to be driving down interest both among fans and potential members of other corps as well.

The Buccaneers are only a little more dominant in DCA than the Blue Devils are in DCI, and while the same question has been raised concerning DCI, especially in the first years of this decade when BD's shows were not only winning but were less audience friendly, nobody really seems to be making that argument there anymore.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Galen said:

If there's a presumption that there's nobody else that can compete with the perpetual champions, I figure that has to be driving down interest both among fans and potential members of other corps as well.

WOW! Like BD I believe it’s indicates more about the organization than the competitors. Strengthen the competition to become better and more competitive. 

• Like 1