Will DCA be around in 5 years?

Will DCA be around in 5 years?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Will DCA be around in 5 years?

• Yes
    • No

22 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

If you mean that BD is arguably even better than their scores suggest because they (and the other California corps) have travel burdens that the east and midwest corps don't, then I agree -- although it's been said that DCI provides some sort of limited subsidy based on the distance between a corps' home and Indianapolis.

Oh yes! BTW that’s an excellent sag way to another question I have about DCA. Do those corps that travel the farthest receive a distance or mileage fee in addition to what has been described as shares? Understood a share is a share but how do they handle mileage? 

4 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Any librarians here? Does anyone know if there are libraries that hold copies of Drum Corps News or Drum Corps World or other drum corps journalism? It wouldn't be a far-fetched thing for those to be saved somewhere. My other principal area of fandom is The Lord of the Rings, and there are several libraries which hold some very obscure publications by Tolkien fan groups.

if DCX doesn't have stuff Steve Vickers would

3 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Yes but, as has been previously discussed, DCA corps outside the northeast have to bear significant costs that the northeast corps do not. Judged on that scale, Minnesota Brass, by placing in the top three of four for so many years, was probably "better" than the Reading Buccaneers, who have been first or second for more than a decade.

I have loved MBI since I first saw them as an 8 year old in 1977....and the only year I remember them being the best corps on the field was the year they won, 2011. Always highly entertaining, but that year, they struck gold, and you could see it building in July

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

Fair enough... and it's nice that you've been posting on this thread and others. You make a lot of good points.

DCA could use all the input, and different perspectives, that it can get.

if they'll listen. to some, we're just internet trolls

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

I have loved MBI since I first saw them as an 8 year old in 1977....and the only year I remember them being the best corps on the field was the year they won, 2011. Always highly entertaining, but that year, they struck gold, and you could see it building in July

Right, but my point was this: schedule the 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, or 2014 DCA championships in the upper midwest, so that MBI has far fewer logistical and financial responsibilities (while Bucs suddenly have to deal with them), and maybe they win in those years.

14 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Right, but my point was this: schedule the 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, or 2014 DCA championships in the upper midwest, so that MBI has far fewer logistical and financial responsibilities (while Bucs suddenly have to deal with them), and maybe they win in those years.

Bucs could have booked a world cruise on the QE2 to get to finals in the years you have mentioned, and MBI...or anyone else for that matter....would STILL have not won.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

well.....no. Bucs would do well no matter where finals is held, because of their off season preparation and planning. In fact, 16 was theirs to lose, but off the field activities finals weekend distracted them, and while they tended to that, C2 was rehearsing their ### off. Bucs traditionally since the run started have come out full, pretty close to done, and while others are adding bodies and figuring out if they have to rewrite stuff, they've already planned the changes and additions yet to come.The same core design staff has been in place for a majority of the run, and if they had to change those folks, people from within were groomed to take over. if they know in September they have to go to MN, they'd have their #### prepared and ready for just such a scenario.

11 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Not a shining moment. 

yet to be retracted

On 8/20/2019 at 3:14 PM, Jeff Ream said:

consistent at every venue in indoor? Wow sign me up for those venues!

I'm in Ohio; and do video shoots for some WGI World, Open and A Class lines and travel with them throughout the season along with running a winterguard; its' pretty consistent at every venue in KY, IN, and OH. The biggest benefit is, you never have to worry if it's raining inside :)