Will DCA be around in 5 years?

Will DCA be around in 5 years?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Will DCA be around in 5 years?

• Yes
    • No

Speaking of school, week and half before Labor Day and opening already around here... 😦

44 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Speaking of school, week and half before Labor Day and opening already around here... 😦

Yep... Brenda's back in Monday.

She's a student aide in PA.... her student is starting his first year in high school, and is going to be in the marching band. Front ensemble.

So we might end up being surrogate band parents and going to a show or two this fall. :laughing:

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Yes, yes, yes, they're very good. But like every other corps, they have to make choices about how to spend their money.

Now imagine a world in which some of that choice is taken away from them: they have to charter a bunch of buses -- which means using the money they would have spent on a couple techs. And they have to give up some late season rehearsal time to travel to, say, Madison or somewhere else west of Lake Michigan.

They're only human. That additional burden will take some toll. I say it costs them a championship or two over the past decade.

good design is good design.  Bux set their membership up for success months before they even get to camp. Music and a show storyboard go a long way in understanding components and what to teach when.   But if they needed to make a trip to the midwest, they'd pass that cost along to the membership.  Dues for next season will be known when the performance schedule is estimated before the season starts in november (and subtracted from whatever development marks that the organization itself has raised via grants, and donors) which then allows groups to set their rehearsal schedule.  If they have to rent buses to get everyone to MN, or Columbus, or anywhere else, they'd know that cost per person cost, and up the dues as needed.  Incidentally, if a 3-4 day trip on a charter bus costs about 2200-2500, the fees passed along to the membership result in around $50 if you can fill all seats on the bus. 

17 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Historical question: when did the top junior corps begin to surpass the top senior corps in technical achievement?

1950? 1960? 1970?

The DCI era, IMO. In part due to the touring concept taking hold nationwide.  More rehearsal/prep time for the DCI corps.

1972, first year of DCI.... the DCA top 5 that year stacked up quite well against the DCI top 5. Again, my opinion.

• Thanks 1

Sis in law teaches elementary and was working on set up last 2 weeks. But they closed building she worked at so extra set up work. Had to take a detour to work this morning and stopped at a bus picking up students. I was thinking “great first the garbage truck and now the school buses... school buses??”.

2 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

good design is good design.  Bux set their membership up for success months before they even get to camp. Music and a show storyboard go a long way in understanding components and what to teach when.   But if they needed to make a trip to the midwest, they'd pass that cost along to the membership.  Dues for next season will be known when the performance schedule is estimated before the season starts in november (and subtracted from whatever development marks that the organization itself has raised via grants, and donors) which then allows groups to set their rehearsal schedule.  If they have to rent buses to get everyone to MN, or Columbus, or anywhere else, they'd know that cost per person cost, and up the dues as needed.  Incidentally, if a 3-4 day trip on a charter bus costs about 2200-2500, the fees passed along to the membership result in around $50 if you can fill all seats on the bus. 

Bus cost depends on distance traveled bus cost is quite a bit higher than that, this issue is the same reason Blue Devil B and SCV cadets didn't go to DCI Finals this year and why many west coast DCI Open Class tours stick to only the west coast.

12 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

Incidentally, if a 3-4 day trip on a charter bus costs about 2200-2500, the fees passed along to the membership result in around $50 if you can fill all seats on the bus. 

Buses are a lot more expensive than that at least in Ohio. It's averaging more like $2K a day for your trip; So for larger corps a trip from PA to OH could end up being $8--10K for two buses from PA/NJ area. We've gone on tour using buses in the past and it's cost us $6-9K for a 2-3 day trip for just one bus. This is just life for a lot of the Midwest and Southern DCA corps; when I marched Tradition we didn't have buses and we just drove to Annapolis on our own. 

Edited by lcarlton

I spoke with several corps about bus cost, If you are chartering for more than 30 days it seemed to be about $1,000 a day, but I know 3 day weekends will cost about 5k.   I  planned 300 mile trip for a local senior center the first bus company I called wanted 4k for a one day trip. that trip we wound up renting vans.   AN earlier post from a former MBI member broke doen their cost I think he said 10k for 6 days with long milage and needing relief drivers,

13 minutes ago, totaleefree said:

I spoke with several corps about bus cost, If you are chartering for more than 30 days it seemed to be about $1,000 a day, but I know 3 day weekends will cost about 5k.   I  planned 300 mile trip for a local senior center the first bus company I called wanted 4k for a one day trip. that trip we wound up renting vans.   AN earlier post from a former MBI member broke doen their cost I think he said 10k for 6 days with long milage and needing relief drivers,

and costs that cannot be covered via the org's own development and fundraising, are still passed back onto the membership.  event if its $10k, that still comes to only $67 per person if  you fill 150 seats.  groups won't cut an educator, they'll add cost to dues to cover the added expense. 

Edited by C.Holland

7 hours ago, BigW said:

How about Centerville Jazz?  I'd argue that one. William Mason? BoA Grand National Finalist last year. Mason's Granger show from 2017 was pretty daggone impressive.

Both very good bands and usually the two best high school bands in Ohio.

(Though contra the BOA judges, I happen to think Centerville's was the best Ohio show last year and that Mason's was the most boring show I've ever seen in Finals, regardless of whether or not it was more technically satisfying than the previous year's Granger show. Neither of them comes close, in my opinion, to Mason's shows of the previous several years, preeminently their West Side Story show. I think there's an argument to be made that Ohio's best high school band in 2017 was Grove City, although their style is very old fashioned by comparison.)

That said, in my estimation, a score of 100 in BOA is worth about 75 in DCI and 80-85 in DCA. And neither of those bands scored 100 last year.