Will DCA be around in 5 years?

Will DCA be around in 5 years?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Will DCA be around in 5 years?

• Yes
    • No

4 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Well, I just don't see it. There isn't video of CT's 2018 show online, as far as I can tell, but there are various videos of corps scoring in the mid 80s at DCA over the past several years that can be compared to video of bands scoring in the low to mid 80s at BOA in the same time frame (as I said, Mason's 2018 show, which was scored 91, bores me to tears), and by contrast to the DCA corps, the bands are static, slow, and learning heavily on their large numbers to generate G.E. and on their pits to cover musical gaps. Still very good for high school band! But not as impressive or exciting when placed against a solid DCA corps (much less a solid DCI corps) -- and for me, "solid" in DCA starts in the mid 80s. So thus again I say: 100 in BOA = 75 in DCI = 83 in DCA.

Watched CT's show, it's not up to the design standards Mason and Centerville set. Percussion might be better... but in terms of arranging, visual design, guard,  it's not as strong in many aspects.

On 8/18/2019 at 11:06 PM, Poppycock said:

Why! What’s wrong with the DCI sheets? Logic dictates that both criterion and evaluation would be consistent with all corps completing in a DCI show. DCI sheets are fine for Open and World Class, they should  be fine for DCI all age too. Scores would remain relevant to all classes.  An Open Class corps could out score a World Class corps, so the same would apply to all age. 

But DCI doesn't have that "unique" "Communication" caption that is so distinctively DCA.

• Haha 4

21 minutes ago, BigW said:

Watched CT's show, it's not up to the design standards Mason and Centerville set. Percussion might be better... but in terms of arranging, visual design, guard,  it's not as strong in many aspects.

Norton, Lakota East are also incredible groups a bit behind Mason and Centerville, with  Miamisburg a little behind them.  

4 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

wife had first day with kids Monday. The kid started yesterday

That's "un-American."  No school until the Tuesday AFTER Labor Day, for students or teachers.  The way it used to be before NCAAFB and ESPN changed everything.

20 minutes ago, BigW said:

Well, to keep from dragging this conversation any further off topic, I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree for the moment. Cheers.

8 minutes ago, xandandl said:

That's "un-American."  No school until the Tuesday AFTER Labor Day, for students or teachers.  The way it used to be before NCAAFB and ESPN changed everything.

Too many snow days dragging end of school year until middle of June around here. And that was one of the reasons given....

39 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Well, I just don't see it. There isn't video of CT's 2018 show online, as far as I can tell, but there are various videos of corps scoring in the mid 80s at DCA over the past several years that can be compared to video of bands scoring in the low to mid 80s at BOA in the same time frame (as I said, Mason's 2018 show, which was scored 91, bores me to tears), and by contrast to the DCA corps, the bands are static, slow, and learning heavily on their large numbers to generate G.E. and on their pits to cover musical gaps. Still very good for high school band! But not as impressive or exciting when placed against a solid DCA corps (much less a solid DCI corps) -- and for me, "solid" in DCA starts in the mid 80s. So thus again I say: 100 in BOA = 75 in DCI = 83 in DCA.

The kids in OH aren't looking at scores, unless it's to medal. These are mostly first time drum corps recruits. 

They want something they can relate to. The generic wind literature and lack of contemporary resources won't create much of an appeal to members of top BOA bands

10 minutes ago, Algernon said:

They want something they can relate to. The generic wind literature and lack of contemporary resources won't create much of an appeal to members of top BOA bands

Confused: who are you saying is playing "generic wind literature"?

59 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Well, to keep from dragging this conversation any further off topic, I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree for the moment. Cheers.

It's actually on topic. How do you recruit from a place like those unless you're top end DCI Open, World Class, or top 3 DCA? No kid wants to go to a situation where they're getting a better experience at their HS. One has to go to where it's clear they get more for joining your DCA corps and recruit there.

Sorry- but I'm pretty adamant on that in terms of effect/coordination and at least the guards. Even designing for different sheets- there's a better sense of overall cohesiveness that counts for a lot today in any effect adjudicating.

22 minutes ago, BigW said:

It's actually on topic. How do you recruit from a place like those unless you're top end DCI Open, World Class, or top 3 DCA? No kid wants to go to a situation where they're getting a better experience at their HS. One has to go to where it's clear they get more for joining your DCA corps and recruit there.

Sorry- but I'm pretty adamant on that in terms of effect/coordination and at least the guards. Even designing for different sheets- there's a better sense of overall cohesiveness that counts for a lot today in any effect adjudicating.

Well, maybe we can hash this out in person next week Saturday as we wait for the last scores to be announced at Prelims.

(Also, after we spoke last year, I made a note to send you a list of what I thought were the best Ohio bands these days, but never did follow up on that.)

(Edited to add: just noticed something interesting when looking back at the recaps for a BOA show I attended in the past couple years. Several years ago I exchanged some correspondence with a person on the music staff of a drum corps. The conversation started with me writing to praise a particular musical aspect of the show and to ask about a few technical details. The staffer answered my question and then told me that s/he wished the judges had noticed what I observed and praised, but not one of them ever mentioned it in any of their comments that season. Well, scanning the names of the judges at the championships in which that corps participated, I see one of the music judges was also a music judge at the BOA show whose scores I was just perusing.)

Edited by N.E. Brigand