Will DCA be around in 5 years?

Will DCA be around in 5 years?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Will DCA be around in 5 years?

• Yes
    • No

7 minutes ago, BigW said:

The survivors are gritty, savvy, smart and capable. What will be left will present pretty good shows. The question will be whether anyone will be in the stands other than Bandma Jones and Aunt Mabel, but wait! They've been to the contest their relative's corps hosted, so no need to travel to championships. The rest of us will be too daggone old.

Last Saturday's show in Woodbridge was a good example of the bolded part here.  A pleasant surprise for me. Five corps, all of them in good shape. At least one of them hugely improved from when I saw them at Clifton a month before.

But, like you also said, whether nights like that translate into championship ticket sales....

11 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Last Saturday's show in Woodbridge was a good example of the bolded part here.  A pleasant surprise for me. Five corps, all of them in good shape. At least one of them hugely improved from when I saw them at Clifton a month before.

But, like you also said, whether nights like that translate into championship ticket sales....

To be blunt, while the Bucs will pack the stands at Big Sounds tonight, and while they do have a block of fans at Championship weekend, there are a lot of that crowd that don't go up for Championship weekend. 138 miles. And not a horrible drive, either.

DCA can certainly be around in 5 years if it sells its Championships as a convention or reunion that includes a competition, but where the contest is considered PART of the fun.  The  contest can certainly be the centerpiece, but the weekend as a bona fide convention event that includes alumni gatherings, corps reunions, dinner dances and additional entertainment options (think swing or cover band in a ballroom) can create an event atmosphere that invites past members to something that includes their participation as opposed to a simple spectator experience.  A one-price ticket package that includes hotel, show admission and an invite to an alumni picnic (for example) might be the outside the box thinking that's required to reinvigorate the attendee experience.  Every corps has alumni in the 100's and using those alumni lists to extend an invite to The DCA Convention might have more broad appeal than "that year's" championship.  My 02c

14 minutes ago, wishbonecav said:

DCA can certainly be around in 5 years if it sells its Championships as a convention or reunion that includes a competition, but where the contest is considered PART of the fun.  The  contest can certainly be the centerpiece, but the weekend as a bona fide convention event that includes alumni gatherings, corps reunions, dinner dances and additional entertainment options (think swing or cover band in a ballroom) can create an event atmosphere that invites past members to something that includes their participation as opposed to a simple spectator experience.  A one-price ticket package that includes hotel, show admission and an invite to an alumni picnic (for example) might be the outside the box thinking that's required to reinvigorate the attendee experience.  Every corps has alumni in the 100's and using those alumni lists to extend an invite to The DCA Convention might have more broad appeal than "that year's" championship.  My 02c

Those are good points, Joey. If the number of corps keeps shrinking, the old "prelims and finals will bring the fans out" line of thinking won't be enough.

4 hours ago, BigW said:

To be blunt, while the Bucs will pack the stands at Big Sounds tonight, and while they do have a block of fans at Championship weekend, there are a lot of that crowd that don't go up for Championship weekend. 138 miles. And not a horrible drive, either.

Wow!  We drove 650 miles to Williamsport last year. 

7 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Which would really suck... for the fans, and the corps.

well after tonight, scores for at least 2 are tight. i best DCA admin is praying that entices people to come. It may. But I know more than a few people that went last year and won't go back to that venue....they'd rather drive 3 hours further to Rochester if they had to

6 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

If it's the show I think you're talking about... yeah, that was a bit off base.  LOL.

2014 week before finals

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BigW said:

about 2/3 of it from what I could see from the back line of the end zone on the hill.

the corps themselves tho all put out good stuff.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, wishbonecav said:

that could help. But really, they need to appeal to people under 50.  like the 18-34 demo

• Like 2

11 hours ago, wishbonecav said:

When I came back to following corps mid 2000s I was thinking DCA was pushing towards total package weekend with I&E and Alumni show. Both of these were not around when I left. But both have fallen off since. I&E in participants and Alumni crowd. And appears older Alumni of corps are not too interested in drum corps today be it from today’s corps or just other things going on in Alumni lives. Even alumni corps themselves have dropped off. 

Packages deals might help but agree with Jeff the push has to be to younger set. But have to find a way to give younger folks a deal on the ticket prices.