Will DCA be around in 5 years?

Will DCA be around in 5 years?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Will DCA be around in 5 years?

• Yes
    • No

53 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I can absolutely ser your point. The burden of travel had been, at least in my DCA time, was / is placed on the southern corps. CV survived and grew because they had a good financial model and had some great leadership in place. That being said, we traveled VERY little. The other southern corps weren't really getting much exposure except maybe Alliance. 

The Atlanta area is good for draw. The fans here (at least within a few hours) know about DCA because they've seen CV at DCI Regionals. I don't know if the NE corps are taking part in DCI contests. Maybe not getting a score seems a waste of time in some aspects but it gets eyes on you. I would love to see some corps from the North taking the risk and traveling down for DCI. 

The traveling risk should not be the southern corps only to take IMHO.

Few DCA corps in the northeast participate in the DCI shows.  I recon it's because the DCA shows in NJ and PA tend to have good turnout, and enough corps to create a decent field.  Once you get outside of those two states, the amount of groups at a show drops off quicklyl.

When I taught Raiders we actually went the other way, and participated in a DCA show as there were no other shows near us early in the season.   I don't know enough about the relationships between the DCA and DCI corps in this region.  I think the Long Island and Connecticut shows could benefit from adding DCI groups to it.  It depends on the tour schedule, but adding 4 DCI Open class groups, and a soundsport, plus the three competing DCA corps that were there would be a really good lineup.  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

Few DCA corps in the northeast participate in the DCI shows.  I recon it's because the DCA shows in NJ and PA tend to have good turnout, and enough corps to create a decent field.  Once you get outside of those two states, the amount of groups at a show drops off quicklyl.

When I taught Raiders we actually went the other way, and participated in a DCA show as there were no other shows near us early in the season.   I don't know enough about the relationships between the DCA and DCI corps in this region.  I think the Long Island and Connecticut shows could benefit from adding DCI groups to it.  It depends on the tour schedule, but adding 4 DCI Open class groups, and a soundsport, plus the three competing DCA corps that were there would be a really good lineup.  

And therein lies the possible key. I haven't seen anything really to link DCA to DCI. Individual groups may have association such as CV to Odyssey and SOA. I would think others exist pretty heavily beyond the C2 to Cadets model. I personally velieve that DCA should try to leverage a relationship with DCI to combine some of the smaller shows and get some fans. Both associations would benefit.

30 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

And therein lies the possible key. I haven't seen anything really to link DCA to DCI. Individual groups may have association such as CV to Odyssey and SOA. I would think others exist pretty heavily beyond the C2 to Cadets model. I personally velieve that DCA should try to leverage a relationship with DCI to combine some of the smaller shows and get some fans. Both associations would benefit.

i think sometimes its a hassle.  DCI has an open schedule to work with.  DCA works on weekends.  So its a little limiting when trying to plan.  It's not out of the question, but it does mean someone is going to have to give to the other's more constrictive schedule.

2 hours ago, C.Holland said:

There were a number of years when we would see Raiders and/or Surf at a DCA show here and there... Clifton, elsewhere... and they were always welcome additions to the lineup.

Early 2000s, there were a few shows with a combo DCA/DCI Open Class (and at least one World Class at one of the shows) corps lineup... and that was kind of like a "best of both worlds" thing.

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

There were a number of years when we would see Raiders and/or Surf at a DCA show here and there... Clifton, elsewhere... and they were always welcome additions to the lineup.

Early 2000s, there were a few shows with a combo DCA/DCI Open Class (and at least one World Class at one of the shows) corps lineup... and that was kind of like a "best of both worlds" thing.

You are describing (as you well know) the model pioneered by Petrone and Fr. W. ;i.e., "The Dream".

It could happen, particularly around the Allentown weekend when all DCI corps are in PA and not competing on the same evening.

Coordination would have to begin right about now.

This summer we did 2 DCI openclass/DCA shows  one in ALabama with DCA doing exhibitions, the other  in GAwith 2 judging panels where both DCA and DCI got official scores. 

This is why DCA will probably be around for a while. The Corps in the NorthEast don't want to spend 10's of thousands of dollars to travel to a DCI All age catagory.   All age corps would need  a weekend, they could not show up on a  Tuesday to share a show with open class.. The Northeast Corps would much rather save the money and have their champs at a  High School Stadium  that is reasonably close to their fanbase.  One of the main reasons DCA started was because sometimes the Legion would have its convention in Seattle or some other far away city and it cost too much to go there so DCA was set up partly to keep it local.   However Corps in Texas or Minn or GA who  have to spend the big bucks to go to champs at a high school would spend no more money going to Indy and have a chance to perform for a larger crowd, and for the families and fans it is no difference or cheaper and less time consuming to travel

2 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Back when I started to go to shows again went to the Reading show probably the last year in old Albright stadium. Lehigh Valley Knights and Jersey Surf (spin the wheel take the penalty show) did exhibitions. Talked to a LVK dad and he said the Reading exhibition was probably the biggest crowd response the corps ever got.

Hershey used to have Sr/Jr combined shows. But..... 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

8 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Hershey used to have Sr/Jr combined shows. But..... 

it took someone who wanted to take that on, and fund and organize it. 

4 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

it took someone who wanted to take that on, and fund and organize it. 

No the “but” part was the owners of the stadium killed the drum corps show because they could make more money hosting rock shows. And there are no other stadiums in the area that are as large as what Hershey has to be able to put on a profitable show

Edited by JimF-LowBari