Will DCA be around in 5 years?

Will DCA be around in 5 years?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Will DCA be around in 5 years?

• Yes
    • No

2 hours ago, totaleefree said:

This is why DCA will probably be around for a while. The Corps in the NorthEast don't want to spend 10's of thousands of dollars to travel to a DCI All age catagory.   All age corps would need  a weekend, they could not show up on a  Tuesday to share a show with open class.. The Northeast Corps would much rather save the money and have their champs at a  High School Stadium  that is reasonably close to their fanbase.  One of the main reasons DCA started was because sometimes the Legion would have its convention in Seattle or some other far away city and it cost too much to go there so DCA was set up partly to keep it local.   However Corps in Texas or Minn or GA who  have to spend the big bucks to go to champs at a high school would spend no more money going to Indy and have a chance to perform for a larger crowd, and for the families and fans it is no difference or cheaper and less time consuming to travel

I the above this is more of an argument that DCA will remain in the North East. I think the bigger question with the thread is if it's a dying category in general, not just a geographic location for finals. DCA is down to 10 Open corps and 4 Class A corps. Personally, I think people would rather just play and do parades so you don't have to commit every weekend to learning drill.

27 minutes ago, cybersnyder said:

I the above this is more of an argument that DCA will remain in the North East. I think the bigger question with the thread is if it's a dying category in general, not just a geographic location for finals. DCA is down to 10 Open corps and 4 Class A corps. Personally, I think people would rather just play and do parades so you don't have to commit every weekend to learning drill.

And I think people would find just playing and doing parades, boring, at best. The current members of DCA corps all pretty much hate parades.

10 minutes ago, grenadasmoothie said:

And I think people would find just playing and doing parades, boring, at best. The current members of DCA corps all pretty much hate parades.

But that seems to be a shrinking number.

21 hours ago, wishbonecav said:

How was regular season attendance?  That might be a barometer of sustainability and a measure of the relationships the local organizers have with their community.  You dont always need headliners to have a full house (see Rome, NY as an example)

That said, its hard to host a show in a region where there are no more corps (Western NY) and the other member corps in the circuit are  unwilling to bear the expense of travel.   Appearance fees make the Buffalo, Rome and Erie DCI shows viable for all parties.  Would the DCA down-staters go upstate for an appearance fee to have a show in Syracuse or Rochester?  You cant reach fans if you dont reach out  and meet them where they are.    Central and Western NY and Canada are historically strong areas for drum corps.  A mid season Saturday-Sunday slate in Rochester and Syracuse could be a cool happening for members and fans, alike. 

Vince subsidized the corps to get them to Rochester.  Maybe that kind of shared risk / shared gate is a window to opportunity.  I'd pay to see the Bucs and Cabs with 3 or 4 others.  I might not travel very far to do it, but if the corps made an impression on that visit, I'd have good reason to consider making the trip to Champs to see them a second time. 

Peckville seemed...eh. I heard Seymour sold 2000+, I'd imagine Reading did too. Landsville probably had good sales and possibly better walk up had the weather not been an issue.

So what you're saying is location matters more than the cheapest deal DCA can get for a host city?

and attendance at Rochester was under 4000 from reliable sources the last 2 years up there. Why? Lack of local draws. People knew Cru. they knew Empire. They knew Brigs. Vince subsidized in 96. that didn't happen starting in 06 when finals went back up there.

13 hours ago, C.Holland said:

Few DCA corps in the northeast participate in the DCI shows.  I recon it's because the DCA shows in NJ and PA tend to have good turnout, and enough corps to create a decent field.  Once you get outside of those two states, the amount of groups at a show drops off quicklyl.

When I taught Raiders we actually went the other way, and participated in a DCA show as there were no other shows near us early in the season.   I don't know enough about the relationships between the DCA and DCI corps in this region.  I think the Long Island and Connecticut shows could benefit from adding DCI groups to it.  It depends on the tour schedule, but adding 4 DCI Open class groups, and a soundsport, plus the three competing DCA corps that were there would be a really good lineup.  

you saw a lot of the combined shows back when you had DCE, DCM, etc....but the death of the regions and the full national tour for World Class has made it hard to make it happen. Most shows in the DCA NE footprint are on weeknights. Not easy to get membership available.

9 hours ago, ironlips said:

You are describing (as you well know) the model pioneered by Petrone and Fr. W. ;i.e., "The Dream".

It could happen, particularly around the Allentown weekend when all DCI corps are in PA and not competing on the same evening.

Coordination would have to begin right about now.

DCa tried to run in Scranton one year against Allentown. attendance was not good

8 hours ago, C.Holland said:

it took someone who wanted to take that on, and fund and organize it. 

and Herco to decide Beyonce would make them more money and kill the show

17 hours ago, totaleefree said:

This is why DCA will probably be around for a while. The Corps in the NorthEast don't want to spend 10's of thousands of dollars to travel to a DCI All age catagory.

Forget that - the NE corps do not even travel to shows in their own region.  Shows at Rochester or Long Island only get 2 or 3 competitors.

Why even have all-age corps if they cannot/will not go to shows?

In DCI, new corps have sprung up and raised the money to attend shows in their region, while others have gone on to tour.  In DCA, it feels like corps are reluctant to attend shows.  Is it that they cannot raise the money to travel, even locally?  Or is there something about the DCA financial model that no longer works?  

LOL. I forgot where I was.  Fresh ideas or enthusiasm are not expanded or brainstormed further on DCP.   Another sad waste of time.