Will DCA be around in 5 years?

Will DCA be around in 5 years?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Will DCA be around in 5 years?

• Yes
    • No

4 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

With you Fred and this will be the first year I’ve watched both DCI and DCA on line. Would love to know the numbers for both and what the circuits and show providers are doing to promote and increase the numbers.

Question for the people who will physically be at Willies port. Is the web broadcast mentioned or promoted at all during the weekend? Thinking the people at the show could “word of mouth” it to their friends at home who might be interested.

make that intere$ted....

honestly i don't remember if they read an ad for it or not last year. I just remember a lot of scrambling after the coffee pot got plugged in

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mick Krackin' said:

To quote a seasoned DCP vet, "Submit a bid."  ; )

I am neither defending or opposing the current DCA site, although I have always thought of that part of PA and all of upstate NY as Canadian.  I agree that location is a major deciding factor for a lot of people.  The more central to most of the corps, the more likely their friends and family will come a long for the ride.  So, I guess I see it as a multi-faceted equation.  No matter where the show is, the people in the seats are mostly (like 70%+) going to have some direct connection to someone on the performance field.  If it happens to be somewhere easy to get to, then more of them will show up for the weekend.  

But, I understand that "DCA" is actually just the Member corps themselves. I think it behooves them to grow the fan base from within as best they can.  The Buccaneers did a great job with this when I was there.  They had a bus load of people that went to several shows a year, including DCA Finals.  It can be done, and really it should be done this way, IMO. 

As for the mass marketing advocates on this thread, DCA just isn't the kind of thing that many unaffiliated people are going to see advertised online or on tv and say, "Hmmm.  That sounds like something I want to go and see.  I think I'll buy a $30-50 ticket, even though I don't have the first clue what it is." 

Someone that knows what a good time going to the shows and other parts of DCA Finals weekend can be needs to invite them to come along.  Corps need to reach out to members' families and friends and offer an easy way to go. Reasonable bus, food and lodging packages, so all they need to do is say, "Ok, I'll go. Sounds like a fun trip"

i have encouraged a few places/organizations to do that.

As for marketing....i am saying do like DCI does. partner with band circuits. get stuff out to every school. use those bands circuits to your advantage. it doesn't take money...it takes building relationships and mutual promotion.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, C.Holland said:

I think the reviews are mixed.  Last shows I went to seemed to have more of the previous generations accepting what's on the field and less "this isn't drum corps", though I think the online presence of the haters is still strong.   Definitely does not help those whom are looking to get into drum corps at any level. 

Either way I don't believe the alumni are the best methods to market the circuit unless they're ready to present the best commercial possible. If you don't bring the information to the kids, and present it really well, you won't get them to sign up.   It's very true that less and less DCI age outs are participating in DCA.  It also doesn't help that there aren't tons of recent age outs near corps.  Texas, Florida, California, Indiana, Georgia.  Those are the states that DCI brings their camps to, in order to fill their ranks.  So CV, should have it made. (i hope they do at least)   But to be honest, once a student has paid between $3-6k a year for their DCI experience, I've found they don't want to spend more on another season.  The 22 year olds just want to move on after DCI.  finish their degrees, finally do their internships they put off. 

DCA is mostly high school some college age locals getting their feet wet to audition for DCI.  Why not take the info to them?  Get into those schools, put together a good ten minute presentation and try to fill the ranks that way. 

when finals were in Annapolis, I was told that DCA wanted to use folks with the Yankee Rebels alumni....that had just folded...to help get the local word out. Yet TOB, USBands and Cavalcade of Bands all had members within an hours drive, and they weren't contacted at all. Excvept maybe for some housing.

Now the Groupon thing DCA did in 13 definitely helped.

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ironlips said:

Perhaps I was not clear. The suggestion is a cooperative event, not one running "against" the other. Did that Scranton show include major DCI corps?

No. and with Allentown being Friday and Saturday night, and the Friday corps often on their way west, going north doesn't always work logistically. The DCi tour as it is right now doesn't help build a lot of combined shows like the days of DCE, DCM etc.

This was the line up for DCI Pittsburg last month, the Sunday after the Allentown circus:

Seattle Cascades - Seattle, WA
7:27 PM
Genesis - Austin, TX
7:44 PM
Madison Scouts - Madison, WI
8:01 PM
Intermission
8:18 PM
Troopers - Casper, WY
8:35 PM
The Academy - Tempe, AZ
8:52 PM
Spirit of Atlanta - Atlanta, GA
9:09 PM
Blue Devils - Concord, CA

It's not unimaginable that the pre-intermission corps could be replaced by Reading, Cabs, CV and White Sabers.

But the booking part is easy. Convincing the DCI planners that adding DCA corps might put more people in the house is the real nut, and it's far from certain a convincing argument could be made for that, given the anemic draw of most DCA shows.

51 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i always wondered why I&E was free. Seems to me there's some cost, but no revenue

Free from 1996 on. There was an admission fee before that.

Once that "free show" genie is out of the bottle, it might be tough to put it back in. :)

3 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

"Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who...." 🙂

He killed my Auntie!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, ironlips said:

This was the line up for DCI Pittsburg last month, the Sunday after the Allentown circus:

Seattle Cascades - Seattle, WA
7:27 PM
Genesis - Austin, TX
7:44 PM
Madison Scouts - Madison, WI
8:01 PM
Intermission
8:18 PM
Troopers - Casper, WY
8:35 PM
The Academy - Tempe, AZ
8:52 PM
Spirit of Atlanta - Atlanta, GA
9:09 PM
Blue Devils - Concord, CA

It's not unimaginable that the pre-intermission corps could be replaced by Reading, Cabs, CV and White Sabers.

But the booking part is easy. Convincing the DCI planners that adding DCA corps might put more people in the house is the real nut, and it's far from certain a convincing argument could be made for that, given the anemic draw of most DCA shows.

DCI shows do not pay DCA corps like DCA shows do, and even then DCA shows do not pay equally. Given that there has not been any real DCA presence in Pittsburgh for close to 25 years, I'm not sure what impact they would have on attendance

Edited by Jeff Ream

here's a question I could not find exact info for online...

does anyone know the 2020 LLWS dates? The only date I see mentioned is the MLB game played during the LLWS which is on 8/23. Usually that game isn't played the same day as the Championship game

• Like 1

According to this site, it starts on 8/20:
https://www.tmorra.com/item/8233519

Not sure if it's accurate.