Will DCA be around in 5 years?

Will DCA be around in 5 years?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Will DCA be around in 5 years?

• Yes
    • No

37 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

A friend sent a photo of the audience at finals in Allentown in 1984. X2jkRc4.jpg

I was on the other side.... we came in 14th iirc... lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

I was there in 1983 for finals.  Same size audience. 

1985 wasn’t bad either (did pre show exhibition)....

Sold my late 1970s albums (have on CD) and think liner notes had 11k or 13k for crowd size ... sigh...

• Like 2

One lean year and everybody's threatening to run for the hills, I guess.

I don't think anyone would argue that it's a smaller activity than it used to be, but the landscape's changed significantly in 40 years, and DCA's settled into its niche in response.  Kids are busier with school and work and a spectrum of hobbies and interests that didn't exist a generation ago, budgets (both household and charitable giving) are tighter, corps operating costs are higher, and people who see show ads posted in their neighborhood don't really feel like sitting in high school bleachers in mid-July weather unless it's to see their kid or friend perform because they have so many other entertainment options available to them.  

Something I think might be worthwhile for corps is exploring partnerships with colleges that don't have marching music programs or high schools that don't compete in the local marching band circuits.  Beyond that, I'm not really sure what DCA or the corps ought to be doing in this new environment.

Edited by jimpjorps

19 minutes ago, jimpjorps said:

One lean year and everybody's threatening to run for the hills, I guess.

I don't think anyone would argue that it's a smaller activity than it used to be, but the landscape's changed significantly in 40 years, and DCA's settled into its niche in response.  Kids are busier with school and work and a spectrum of hobbies and interests that didn't exist a generation ago, budgets (both household and charitable giving) are tighter, corps operating costs are higher, and people who see show ads posted in their neighborhood don't really feel like sitting in high school bleachers in mid-July weather unless it's to see their kid or friend perform because they have so many other entertainment options available to them.  

Something I think might be worthwhile for corps is exploring partnerships with colleges that don't have marching music programs or high schools that don't compete in the local marching band circuits.  Beyond that, I'm not really sure what DCA or the corps ought to be doing in this new environment.

A scholastic partnership won’t work well since the corps are active during the summer ( no school ) and more or less dormant during the school year. 

18 minutes ago, cybersnyder said:

A scholastic partnership won’t work well since the corps are active during the summer ( no school ) and more or less dormant during the school year. 

but advertising group rates to the nearest high school bands would be a good thing.  even if its a $10 ticket. any and every music kid for 100 miles could be advertised to.  heck, there was a band camp going on right next to the sheetz I stopped at on my way there. and that was less than an hour from williamsport. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, C.Holland said:

but advertising group rates to the nearest high school bands would be a good thing.  even if its a $10 ticket. any and every music kid for 100 miles could be advertised to.  heck, there was a band camp going on right next to the sheetz I stopped at on my way there. and that was less than an hour from williamsport. 

I thought it was more of a suggestion to partner and provide a marching program for schools without one. Agree that if they're not already sending a flyer to every band director in a three hour drive radius, they're missing a huge opportunity.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, cybersnyder said:

I thought it was more of a suggestion to partner and provide a marching program for schools without one. Agree that if they're not already sending a flyer to every band director in a three hour drive radius, they're missing a huge opportunity.

That’s what DCI does for Indy.  

35 minutes ago, cybersnyder said:

Schools still run summer sports when there's no classes in session, and a lot of marching bands have camps during the summer too.

6 minutes ago, jimpjorps said:

Schools still run summer sports when there's no classes in session, and a lot of marching bands have camps during the summer too.

Schools that already have marching bands. The post I was replying to said to explore partnerships with colleges and schools that don't have a marching program.