Will DCA be around in 5 years?

Will DCA be around in 5 years?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Will DCA be around in 5 years?

• Yes
    • No

10 hours ago, Cascadia said:

This seems like such a trivial issue though, there are plenty of ways to work around this. Saturday and Sunday for All-Age, Monday and Tuesday for Open Class, Thursday through Saturday for World Championships for example. If the biggest issue here is a morning finals then is there really an issue? It may not be the most universally liked decision but DCI is the largest drum corps circuit in the world currently. No other circuit whether it be DCA, DCE, DCJ, or even the new Drum Corps Asia has had the reach and scope DCI has had these past few years, DCI remains the largest circuit for drum corps competition. 

What some of the others have said..... weekdays would be tough, if not impossible, for all-age corps.

I gotta thank you for your ideas/input, though. Always good to hear a fresh perspective. And you're right... DCI drives the bus, in terms of its reach, compared to DCA.

At some point, barring a sudden influx of new all-age competition groups, I would think the remaining corps in DCA will have some tough decisions to make regarding the future of 1) the circuit, and 2) their corps.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

What some of the others have said..... weekdays would be tough, if not impossible, for all-age corps.

I gotta thank you for your ideas/input, though. Always good to hear a fresh perspective. And you're right... DCI drives the bus, in terms of its reach, compared to DCA.

At some point, barring a sudden influx of new all-age competition groups, I would think the remaining corps in DCA will have some tough decisions to make regarding the future of 1) the circuit, and 2) their corps.

DCI does drive the bus for innovation, and exposure.  Which I think adding All-Age into shows, like when Drum Corps Midwest (yup... just dated myself there) had mixed bill shows of Sr, 2/3, and Open classes all in the same show, gave everyone some opportunity for success. 

• Thanks 1

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 10:30 PM, Jeff Ream said:

DCa tried to run in Scranton one year against Allentown. attendance was not good

you're just PO'd because MBI came out and YOU had already bought tickets for Allentown...:tounge2:

Time to call the WAAAAAAAAAAAAMbulance, Jeff!   :tongue:

Pat :ninja:

52 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

DCI does drive the bus for innovation, and exposure.  Which I think adding All-Age into shows, like when Drum Corps Midwest (yup... just dated myself there) had mixed bill shows of Sr, 2/3, and Open classes all in the same show, gave everyone some opportunity for success. 

Which was not always the case across the board. DCA did its share. Some corps go to certain things (like electronics use, at least on a limited basis) before DCI did.

Now it seems WGI is driving the DCI bus, which in turn is driving the DCA bus. LOL

You're right about those mixed shows. A good thing. Drum Corps Midwest, the Hershey show out east, etc.

4 hours ago, C.Holland said:

as someone who's been involved in both DCI and DCA, this does no favors for the all-age groups by making them second fiddle. 

Here's why.
There's simply not enough time in the season on the proposed schedule to create a show that they are currently producing at the level they are currently producing.   So the product being sold would suffer.

it would cut the shows in August which would then cut the money made from those shows.  corps revenue would suffer.

There's the travel cost.  Which, understood, there's going to be travel costs no matter what.  However, with the majority of groups in the northeast, and the majority of DCA fans in the northeast, this will inhibit who can attend.  

I'm all for DCI expanding All-Age class and providing performance opportunity throughout the country at the local shows.  This is something that would help to grow the All-Age groups and provide some much needed exposure.  I don't believe that piggy backing DCA  onto DCI week is a good idea or profitable for the DCA groups.

I think DCA still needs its own weekend, possibly the week before Labor day to allow students in college and high school to participate, and in a venue and city that gives you a championship feel.  I don't dislike Williamport due to how it bends over backwards for the event, I do wish there was something a little more to it.  

agreed. DCI week is busy enough...something every day. Adding more to those days or adding days, makes it tough because as it is now, a majority of the fans aren't in town until at least Wednesday. You can say they aren't but then if they were Open Class wouldn't be an hour away at a high school stadium. having attended many finals from 1975-2010, it's pretty clear going out and about those towns that's the case. I do wish DCI opened up the door at Allentown for corps to compete both nights like they have in MN and Atlanta ( and Stanford in the past). I am still baffled as to why DCA even tries to run a show against Allentown every year ( at least they got smart and moved Scranton a different weekend after all those years).

it does need its own weekend. maybe not the weekend it's been run on for decades, but if it grows, it'll definitely need its own weekend

1 hour ago, C.Holland said:

used to be several DCA/DCI combined shows on weekends out here too.

1 hour ago, goalieguy said:

you're just PO'd because MBI came out and YOU had already bought tickets for Allentown...:tounge2:

Time to call the WAAAAAAAAAAAAMbulance, Jeff!   :tongue:

Pat :ninja:

and what was Scanton attendance?

and no most years i wasn't marching, I skipped Scranton and went to Allentown. in 1991, I know some performers in several DCA corps did so too. Even dumber was the years DCA ran against DCI finals

3 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Even dumber was the years DCA ran  against DCI finals

Lewistown 1979 when DCI was on TV for heavens sake... Show held on Sunday rain date which might have improved attendance

Right now, MY tea leaves tell me . . . .

DCA will be around in 5 years, but remain at the 12-14 competing corps size. I do not see a formal relationship with DCI, but the same level of cooperation as now continuing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

agreed. DCI week is busy enough...something every day. Adding more to those days or adding days, makes it tough because as it is now, a majority of the fans aren't in town until at least Wednesday. You can say they aren't but then if they were Open Class wouldn't be an hour away at a high school stadium. having attended many finals from 1975-2010, it's pretty clear going out and about those towns that's the case. I do wish DCI opened up the door at Allentown for corps to compete both nights like they have in MN and Atlanta ( and Stanford in the past). I am still baffled as to why DCA even tries to run a show against Allentown every year ( at least they got smart and moved Scranton a different weekend after all those years).

From 1997 on.... the year I started doing the PA work for the show... the Scranton show was later in August, not up against DCI East, except for that one year you and Pat have talked about.

That one year, it was Doc being... well... Doc. LOL. He didn't think a DCI show would hurt his show's attendance, and went ahead with plans to run against East despite some DCA folks trying to persuade him otherwise.

What he didn't realize was... East drew basically a lot of the same people (including a whole host of Bucs alums who work at East)  who might normally attend the Scranton DCA event.

Like you said... Scranton attendance was down, noticeably so. Doc never made that mistake again.

(For those new to these forums and wondering who "Doc" was... it was Dr. A.J. Sebastianelli, the longtime show host for the DCA Scranton gig and a higher-up in the national American Legion organization.)

Edited by Fran Haring