Will DCA be around in 5 years?

Will DCA be around in 5 years?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Will DCA be around in 5 years?

• Yes
    • No

2 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

Right now, MY tea leaves tell me . . . .

DCA will be around in 5 years, but remain at the 12-14 competing corps size. I do not see a formal relationship with DCI, but the same level of cooperation as now continuing. 

Maybe a topic for another thread... but I wonder if this will mean show hosts will have to bring in "acts" other than drum corps to fill out the lineups, and give the fans something other than "just the same corps every week."  Like what Bushwackers have done in recent years with Al Chez and his jazz band.

I was at Bush's Woodbridge show this year... and honestly, between Al's band, the five DCA corps who, by that time in August, are in pretty good to really good shape, and the Caballeros Alumni in exhibition, it was a good night, a little something for everyone, and we and the folks sitting near us felt that we got our money's worth. 

Edited by Fran Haring

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

Even dumber was the years DCA ran against DCI finals

I think the only DCA show that held its own on DCI weekend was the Kingston one. Quite possibly because it was a fundraiser for a children's home, and was a well-established event with its own built-in local audience.

Last time I was at Kingston, in 2004... gotta be honest, it seemed that a significant chunk of the audience thought that the entire drum corps activity consisted of the corps who were there that night. :tongue: 

Edited by Fran Haring

21 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

From 1997 on.... the year I started doing the PA work for the show... the Scranton show was later in August, not up against DCI East, except for that one year you and Pat have talked about.

That one year, it was Doc being.... well... Doc. LOL. He didn't think a DCI show would hurt his show's attendance, and went ahead with plans to run against East despite some DCA folks trying to persuade him otherwise.

What he didn't realize was... East drew basically a lot of the same people (including a whole host of Bucs alums who work at East)  who might normally attend the Scranton DCA event.

Like you said... Scranton attendance was down, noticeably so. Doc never made that mistake again.

(For those new to these forums and wondering who "Doc" was... it was Dr. A.J. Sebastianelli, the longtime show host for the DCA Scranton gig and a higher-up in the national American Legion organization.)

even in the early 90's it hurt.

16 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

even in the early 90's it hurt.

I can easily see why.

I didn't attend the Scranton show those years (other than 1991 when I filled in for Wes Hobby, who I think was ill that year), until I got the announcing gig permanently in  '97 after Wes stepped aside.

2 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

I can easily see why.

I didn't attend the Scranton show those years (other than 1991 when I filled in for Wes Hobby, who I think was ill that year), until I got the announcing gig permanently in  '97 after Wes stepped aside.

in 1991 I know I sat at prelims and finals with 4 peoeple that marched with 3 different corps....except that night LOL

I think if you want DCA to grow, the shows need to make a conscious effort to invite SDCA, Soundsports, and even the indoor winds carry their shows over into summer to participate.   Give  more groups access to a performance, as well as ticket holders a few more pieces of entertainment, and they all may come back for more.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

I think if you want DCA to grow, the shows need to make a conscious effort to invite SDCA, Soundsports, and even the indoor winds carry their shows over into summer to participate.   Give  more groups access to a performance, as well as ticket holders a few more pieces of entertainment, and they all may come back for more.   

That would help.

If I recall correctly, several years back some of the mini-corps formed a loose association, a federation of sorts... don't have all the details about that.

Some of those groups were asking about/wanted to do performances at some DCA shows... I remember at least one of those groups saying they would get there at their own expense, or for a minimal fee at most.

Sounded like a good idea. But for whatever reasons, it didn't happen. I have my suspicions. LOL.

I agree, Chris... something like that needs to happen now.

• Like 1

This past summer at the Sunrisers show, besides the 3 competing corps, there were several exhibitions:  The Kips Bay Drumline, The Free Players, Tri Valley Brass, The Saints Brigade, and the Sunrisers Alumni Drumline.  It was a pretty well rounded evening of music showcasing different levels of abilities!!

Edited by CHRISP
adding content
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, C.Holland said:

Good lord! How about Twiggy the Water-Skiing Squirrel and PoPo the Clown they might sell more tickets to these DCA show’s.  LOL 😂 

Edited by Poppycock

39 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Good lord! How about Twiggy the Water-Skiing Squirrel and PoPo the Clown they might sell more tickets to these DCA show’s.  LOL 😂 

Hey if that’s what people want why not.

My old alumni corps have brought in fife and drum, minis and would get a brass band if the schedules would fit. And keep forgetting  the name of the group that has competed as a mini corps but has regular tuba (Cindy Crawford was/is a member).