Will DCA be around in 5 years?

Will DCA be around in 5 years?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Will DCA be around in 5 years?

• Yes
    • No

22 hours ago, camel lips said:

I would not say it looks nothing like it did 14 years ago. Looks alot like it did when I was there. Definite face lift. 

As hilarious as the Brown Shirts were the last year about Not coming in and out they were really clueless that you could virtually walk in from the back side and other exits they were not "guarding" . I laughed so hard at one of them that would not let me back in with my ticket..went around the back side and then waved to him later on from the inside. He just looked at me with this glazed over look like what just happened?? LOL 

I heard about all of this stuff...but I was marching so it wasn't until later on. I honestly can barely remember much of '05 prelims and finals. 

Will DCA be around in 5 years?  I haven't had the opportunity to go through all 66 pages of posts so if I am repeating someone's argument forgive me.

There is a big turd dropping elephant in the room that people aren't mentioning....lack of competition.  There is no drama as to who will win.  l think it was Fran who said not that long ago that at Reading's Spring Preview show you  could watch Buccs show and know 1/2 way through that stage performance that the season was over in May.

Edited by Bucbari

17 hours ago, Bucbari said:

Will DCA be around in 5 years?  I haven't had the opportunity to go through all 66 pages of posts so if I am repeating someone's argument forgive me.

There is a big turd dropping elephant in the room that people aren't mentioning....lack of competition.  There is no drama as to who will win.  l think it was Fran who said not that long ago that at Reading's Spring Preview show you  could watch Buccs show and know 1/2 way through that stage performance that the season was over in May.

C2 gone MBI gone Empire Gone . Renegades Gone!  You only really have 2 other groups that are even attempting to put out a competitive product .  The rest are just show fillers doing what they do . 

one of those programs decides to pack up their shine box and go to another setting and DCA is done . 

20 hours ago, Bucbari said:

The other big turn in the room that no one wants to talk about is the identity of these groups.  Once upon a time you could tell who the group rounding the bend was because of the corps proper uniform. Nowdays with costuming its anyone's guess who is fixing to tell the field without a program or a announcement. Ditto on the programming. You could count on say Empire to come out with a certain style of Program that was recognizable and programmed to their identity. Ditto to Cabs and many of the other groups. Nowdays?? Good luck with that. 

21 hours ago, Bucbari said:

Ding ding, we have a winner.

I truly hope that the activity can pick up again and there will be 4 to 6 corps who would be in the running for the #1 spot BUT...........What 4 or 5 corps will it be? When was the last time Hawthorne won? Bush? etc

5 hours ago, camel lips said:

C2 gone MBI gone Empire Gone . Renegades Gone!  You only really have 2 other groups that are even attempting to put out a competitive product .  The rest are just show fillers doing what they do . 

one of those programs decides to pack up their shine box and go to another setting and DCA is done . 

The "show filler" attitude is rather insulting to several of the competitors. To be blunt- in most DCA seasons before 2005, only 3 or so corps, sometimes no more than two have had any legit chance to win. 1990 was an anomaly. It would be nice to see everyone have the perfect staff composition, perfect design, financing, a mass of talented personnel that returns year in and out, but that hasn't been happening and I don't believe it's been for a lack of effort from several of those corps.

The corps in that 4-8 range are worthy of respect. A lot of it. They're better than what passed for winning contenders at one point. They're more than "Show filler." I watched the low end this year at prelims up to Hurcs, and most of it was quite watchable.

1 hour ago, KeithHall said:

I truly hope that the activity can pick up again and there will be 4 to 6 corps who would be in the running for the #1 spot BUT...........What 4 or 5 corps will it be? When was the last time Hawthorne won? Bush? etc

when was the last timer they were good enough? for cabs you could say 14.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigW said:

The "show filler" attitude is rather insulting to several of the competitors. To be blunt- in most DCA seasons before 2005, only 3 or so corps, sometimes no more than two have had any legit chance to win. 1990 was an anomaly. It would be nice to see everyone have the perfect staff composition, perfect design, financing, a mass of talented personnel that returns year in and out, but that hasn't been happening and I don't believe it's been for a lack of effort from several of those corps.

The corps in that 4-8 range are worthy of respect. A lot of it. They're better than what passed for winning contenders at one point. They're more than "Show filler." I watched the low end this year at prelims up to Hurcs, and most of it was quite watchable.

agreed

On 10/24/2019 at 4:07 PM, Bucbari said:

Very true and it's been that way for what...a decade now? C2 came up once, MBI came up once and CV has been making a strong run for 3 years. But in their element, Bucs are just hard to beat. Fans of the activity can appreciate the 2nd and 3rd place shows and the top 10 have gotten better every single year. But you aren't going to gain new eyes when you already know who's going to win if people are going for more than just really good entertainment. It's like reading a spoiler...it just ruins the movie. 

Now...if the shift came back to entertainment...that's a whole different animal I think. I see the same thing in DCI. Yeah...BD is amazing at what they do. But does it entertain me? About as much as watching paint dry most times. 

Please do NOT take that to mean that I do not appreciate what EVERY corps puts out there. But there IS a point when having no parity becomes problematic. 

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever
  • Like 1