Will DCA be around in 5 years?

Will DCA be around in 5 years?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Will DCA be around in 5 years?

• Yes
    • No

32 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

Not sure what to make of these expressions .  Is it that DCA would be better off without the Buccaneers? Or, DCA would do better if there were more Buccaneers?

I read it as more Buccs so only the elite, only the elite, only the elite... I read that as “we have met the enemy and they are us”. (being your own worst enemy)

4 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I read it as more Buccs so only the elite, only the elite, only the elite... I read that as “we have met the enemy and they are us”. (being your own worst enemy)

One thing is for certain.  When one group has won EVERY championship except for two since 2005, with most years having undefeated seasons, and most shows having a major caption sweep, this is not indicative of a healthy circuit.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, VOReason said:

One thing is for certain.  When one group has won EVERY championship except for two since 2005, with most years having undefeated seasons, and most shows having a major caption sweep, this is not indicative of a healthy circuit.

Sure not helping the situation especially since those two other corps are no longer around. just disagreeing the perception that corps more than 4 points lower are painful.

On 10/26/2019 at 8:34 AM, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Very true and it's been that way for what...a decade now? C2 came up once, MBI came up once and CV has been making a strong run for 3 years. But in their element, Bucs are just hard to beat. Fans of the activity can appreciate the 2nd and 3rd place shows and the top 10 have gotten better every single year. But you aren't going to gain new eyes when you already know who's going to win if people are going for more than just really good entertainment. It's like reading a spoiler...it just ruins the movie. 

Now...if the shift came back to entertainment...that's a whole different animal I think. I see the same thing in DCI. Yeah...BD is amazing at what they do. But does it entertain me? About as much as watching paint dry most times. 

Please do NOT take that to mean that I do not appreciate what EVERY corps puts out there. But there IS a point when having no parity becomes problematic. 

entertaining is in the eye of the beer holder. I've found most of the corps at the top...like 7-8th place and up...entertaining for several years now.and the market DCA needs to be marketing to likes those types of shows

11 hours ago, camel lips said:

Exactly ! If your striving to have a competitive circuit  which DCA is attempting to have . At some point you can not appreciate effort and it becomes painful to watch.   

it's less painful to watch top to bottom than it was 10 years ago. The biggest reason is smaller corps have stopped trying to write shows for 4 times the people they actually have on the field.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VOReason said:

so what are the lessons to be learned by everyone else? Oh I know, i've said it before.

first don't be adding bodies all summer. Have your show designed in the winter and get the material to the performers as soon as you can so they can learn it. Don't teach it at camp, clean and refine and mold it at camp. have your #### ready the first show. They are deep cleaning in June while many others are still teaching drill. 

• Like 2

1990 DCA was brought up earlier......

Wow! 1st through 7th were 4.7 apart!  Empire was .1 behind Bush! 5th place was only 2.9 from the top. Incredible year!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

it's less painful to watch top to bottom than it was 10 years ago. The biggest reason is smaller corps have stopped trying to write shows for 4 times the people they actually have on the field.

Except this past season, when the bottom (Open) tier was rough... rougher than it has been for some time.

Just my opinion.

I agree with you about the Class A corps in particular.  The Govenaires have written for who they have for years now, and for quite a while they were dominating Class A as a result. Now other corps have gotten the memo.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2019 at 7:08 AM, KeithHall said:

1990 DCA was brought up earlier......

Wow! 1st through 7th were 4.7 apart!  Empire was .1 behind Bush! 5th place was only 2.9 from the top. Incredible year!

That was a great year.  But the ugliness of the 1990 awards ceremony in Allentown will stick with me forever.

Fans unmercifully booing when Bushwackers were announced in 1st over Statesmen and Cabs. And at least one corps staffer egging the crowd on from the sidelines. All of it uncalled for. One of DCA's lowest, if not the lowest,  moments... IMO of course.

It literally was the only show that I have worked where I felt concerned for my safety... since the announcer's table was situated between the fans and the drum majors, and I was wondering if/when folks were going to start throwing stuff. LOL.

Edited by Fran Haring

I also saw a fight or the start of a fight with another corps