Will DCA be around in 5 years?

Will DCA be around in 5 years?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Will DCA be around in 5 years?

• Yes
    • No

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

so if it's so beneath you, why do you come in here then?

If it’s important to reach a broader audience to survive the next five years, it’s important to know why you’re not. Entertainment and competition get my attention, but I’m guessing not so much for you. I thought you were the person with all the answers to save this circuit, maybe I’m mistaken. 

Edited by Poppycock

1 hour ago, KeithHall said:

Does this REALLY make sense? Numbers are why there is a spread and placement!

So numbers ARE relevant! 

If talking scores and placements yes. But some of the conversation went into the “what is entertaining” area where imo spreads and placements means squat

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Poppycock said:

If it’s important to reach a broader audience to survive the next five years, it’s important to know why you’re not. Entertainment and competition get my attention, but I’m guessing not so much for you. I thought you were the person with all the answers to save this circuit, maybe I’m mistaken. 

i never claimed to have them all. But i also don't come into a forum trashing a place that i have no desire to see survive and eventuaky thrive. 

27 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i never claimed to have them all. But i also don't come into a forum trashing a place that i have no desire to see survive and eventuaky thrive. 

Trashing! please LOL 😂 have you even read your post? Hypocrite comes to mind. I don’t know if there is a need for a weekend circuit let alone an all-age one, but trying to be something they don’t have either the time or money to be just seems odd to me. Like I said I’ve seen videos from the 80’s and 90’s that makes sense, musically entertaining. 

Edited by Poppycock

2 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Trashing! please LOL 😂 have you even read your post? Hypocrite comes to mind. I don’t know if there is a need for a weekend circuit let alone an all-age one, but trying to be something they don’t have either the time or money to be just seems odd to me. Like I said I’ve seen videos from the 80’s and 90’s that makes sense, musically entertaining. 

Snark removed... and not by John Z lol

Edited by JimF-LowBari

21 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Ok you don’t get it or enjoy it so why should it still exist?

Never said it shouldn’t exist and watching organizations trying to be like DCI corps on a weekend rehearsal schedule and small budgets is IMO DCI-lite. The videos I’ve watched from the 80’s and 90’s the corps seemed to have an understanding of their style of drum corps  

Clear to me that both fan and participation interest has diminished.  Perhaps things have just run its course and that’s difficult to accept. 

• Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Never said it shouldn’t exist and watching organizations trying to be like DCI corps on a weekend rehearsal schedule and small budgets is IMO DCI-lite. The videos I’ve watched from the 80’s and 90’s the corps seemed to have an understanding of their style of drum corps  

Clear to me that both fan and participation interest has diminished.  Perhaps things have just run its course and that’s difficult to accept. 

Ok think I understand now and thanks for not answering snark with snark. Was in the lesser Senior Circuit for a while and the more entertaining corps knew limits and worked with that. My favorite lesser corps show played 10-15 year old charts (no money for new), marched lot of kids and little if any money for instructors. So they picked music people knew and worked on playing it well and just got clobbered by the judges. Even the DM told me they were dirty as Hades. But they knew they had little to work with and didn’t over reach. 

As for your last paragraph have seen it with little league, bridge playing (in laws were fanatics), my old church, etc, etc. so no real surprise with drum corps. Thinks change and some things get run over...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

5 hours ago, Poppycock said:

When I first read that they were considering voting on the electronic issue I knew the activity was not going to survive. Not too many C2 models out there waiting in the wings that can come in and magically have a full creative staff loaded upfront with the backing to have a full horn line guard equipment and a electronic ensemble and staff to run it.  It did not take a rocket scientist to figure out that one out. 

Your run of the mill SR corps of yesteryear could have started up on a volunteer staff with a shoestring budget with membership paying dues and get by a season or two and be  somewhat competitive as a bottom feeder. They could fund raise to buy equipment and build and start to become stronger and climb the ladder. Today??? Not so much.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, camel lips said:

When I first read that they were considering voting on the electronic issue I knew the activity was not going to survive. Not too many C2 models out there waiting in the wings that can come in and magically have a full creative staff loaded upfront with the backing to have a full horn line guard equipment and a electronic ensemble and staff to run it.  It did not take a rocket scientist to figure out that one out. 

Your run of the mill SR corps of yesteryear could have started up on a volunteer staff with a shoestring budget with membership paying dues and get by a season or two and be  somewhat competitive as a bottom feeder. They could fund raise to buy equipment and build and start to become stronger and climb the ladder. Today??? Not so much.  

After watching videos, those deficiencies are very obvious. 

1 hour ago, camel lips said:

Ed, how far back are you going as transportation and equipment costs have exploded. And that’s basic horns and drums only. Know of an alumni type corps that took years to go from 2v to 3v and did it just as the used market in Gs dried up. 

and does competitive bottom feeder = painful to watch?

Edited by JimF-LowBari