Will DCA be around in 5 years?

Will DCA be around in 5 years?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Will DCA be around in 5 years?

• Yes
    • No

3 hours ago, camel lips said:

There are still units out there trying to do their thing on a shoe string budget. Competitive? No. But they are being active. 

Are they “painful to watch”?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

as have I. right now the on field product is far down the list of issues affecting DCA, and I've touched on those other issues incessantly

The on the field product is far up on my list of issues followed by Championship location, stadium, and date of championships. 

• Like 1

On 10/30/2019 at 10:49 AM, Fran Haring said:

But it was a different vibe then. Even the so-called "DCI-style corps" like my old team (Sunrisers), plus the Buccaneers, Westshoremen, then later the Bushwackers, had it.  The personality connection with the drum majors, the soloists, etc. An overall more relaxed, more fun, atmosphere... for the corps and fans.

Not there much anymore. Some exceptions, of course.

I gotta figure, if one top DCI corps... Bluecoats, perhaps... lets their drum major turn around and interact with the audience, talk to the fans, whatever... then it will become the biggest thing since sliced bread, and other DCI corps will fall in line, followed by DCA, as usual.

But the thing is.... DCA had that going on, for a long time. (Something like "The Wink" from the Bluecoats soloist a few years back... a sensation in DCI circles when it happened, and it was a really cool thing... but stuff like that used to be routine at DCA shows.)

It was the circuit's calling card, a draw, a difference between it and DCI (let's face it, the all-age corps, by the very "limited time" nature of the beast, will never match the top touring DCI units in terms of overall quality, and that's fine with me)... but with a few exceptions, DCA seemingly has willingly given it up.

Interesting that you mention Bluecoats, given how DCI had that very corps' DM miked for a conversation while the corps warmed up at last year's cinema-screened Prelims. Not quite what you're talking about, but a nice change of pace from the usual staff interview they do during that broadcast.

21 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

sadly few want to take the time to grow. Why? Well DCA for example only wants to see or hear soundsport or mini corps style finals weekend. going soundsport gets you far more exposure if you venture to Indy than Friday night at DCA.

That's what's so weird about the whole thing. You can do SoundSport; not even go to Indy just do Regionals or local shows and people regularly show up a little early to see them, plus the crowds are typically the same if not bigger than most DCA shows. DCI will also generally promote you, or aggregate your content more-so than DCA does.

The argument is "fans and show sponsors don't want small corps" but then why is it that DCI has found a way to make it work and many units find a benefit to it? I don't understand it... it seems like it's being difficult for the sake of being difficult all the while not doing ANYTHING to foster new corps in the DCA circuit. So... ok you don't want small corps; then what's your plan for helping develop new corps to sustain the circuit? It's why when a lot of the new rules submitted at the last Congress got voted down, and nothing was really done to promote the development of new groups it just gives the perception of not really understanding or accepting the reality of today. It's not going to EVER be like it was 20 years ago; but it can still be better than it is with a little development and work.

The days of corps clustered together in the South and Midwest are gone as WGI has taken over in those areas, and the DCA brand doesn't have the development and promotional power of the past. The option to do SoundSport and get in front of similar size, if not larger crowds is appealing for many as well. Something one of the directors that mentors me said , playing of Zero Dark Thirty - "pre-Youtube"; "pre-Social Media"; "pre-2009" thinking. Having done both; I think they are great opportunities for ensembles and as I said before - it's the best time to start an all-age ensemble because you really have so many options. I'd argue the problem is no one is promoting the idea of "now it's the best time".... *looks for Class A coordinator, or DCA development director."

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Poppycock said:

The on the field product is far up on my list of issues followed by Championship location, stadium, and date of championships. 

marketing is my #1, followed by your list that isnt on field, then some other stuff, then on field

3 hours ago, cybersnyder said:

Will this thread be around in five years? 😉

we may outlast DCA

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, lcarlton said:

That's what's so weird about the whole thing. You can do SoundSport; not even go to Indy just do Regionals or local shows and people regularly show up a little early to see them, plus the crowds are typically the same if not bigger than most DCA shows. DCI will also generally promote you, or aggregate your content more-so than DCA does.

The argument is "fans and show sponsors don't want small corps" but then why is it that DCI has found a way to make it work and many units find a benefit to it? I don't understand it... it seems like it's being difficult for the sake of being difficult all the while not doing ANYTHING to foster new corps in the DCA circuit. So... ok you don't want small corps; then what's your plan for helping develop new corps to sustain the circuit? It's why when a lot of the new rules submitted at the last Congress got voted down, and nothing was really done to promote the development of new groups it just gives the perception of not really understanding or accepting the reality of today. It's not going to EVER be like it was 20 years ago; but it can still be better than it is with a little development and work.

The days of corps clustered together in the South and Midwest are gone as WGI has taken over in those areas, and the DCA brand doesn't have the development and promotional power of the past. The option to do SoundSport and get in front of similar size, if not larger crowds is appealing for many as well. Something one of the directors that mentors me said , playing of Zero Dark Thirty - "pre-Youtube"; "pre-Social Media"; "pre-2009" thinking. Having done both; I think they are great opportunities for ensembles and as I said before - it's the best time to start an all-age ensemble because you really have so many options. I'd argue the problem is no one is promoting the idea of "now it's the best time".... *looks for Class A coordinator, or DCA development director."

easy. DCi has full time employees that do marketing. I never see DCA's marketing directors name on anything but the DCA website. Now I have heard in the past mini corps tried to get into shows, and the rumor was something about wanting a lot of money to do it. I dont know how DCi structures it for paying those groups, if at all, but remember at least for competing corps, DCi has a set policy on paying corps. DCA is an every corps negotiates their own deal approach, so hosts can be strapped, as they aren't drawing the same sized crowds DCi regular season shows are. of any of the current DCA regular season shows sites still going I have been to, none hold over 2500 fans

33 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Don’t agree! Increase the quality of competition, better location and facilities for championships, new championship date,  then marketing. 

I think it all ties in... but yep, product is the key for me.

A couple of years back... the DCA show in western Maryland... one reason it was held was to hopefully open up a new market for DCA, to get some fresh (and younger) eyeballs on the product, folks who might not have been familiar with all-age corps.

But the first DCA corps on that evening performed one song, then exited the field. One song... in early July. :blink:

Yes, I am well aware that various corps face various challenges in putting a finished product on the field early... and please, I am not denigrating anyone's intentions here. 

But one song??? In July??? Absolutely honest... if that was my first viewing experience with a DCA/all-age corps, I'm not sure I'd be buying what they're selling.

Product. And not just from mid-August on, when the corps are ready to rock, for the most part. 

Yeah... now that I'm a paying customer, I'm a bit more hardcore on this whole "be ready to give the fans a show" thing.  LOL.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Thanks 1