Will DCA be around in 5 years?

Will DCA be around in 5 years?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Will DCA be around in 5 years?

• Yes
    • No

8 hours ago, camel lips said:

Alot of noise in this thread. Not much talk about expanding DCA out of the NE market. 

What I’ve learned about this circuit has demonstrated they do not have the resources both financial and administration to run a national circuit or are their NE organizations willing to share in the cost for growth outside of the NE.  

Yet they require all-age organizations outside of the NE to adhere to DCA  rules and guidelines many times asking them to attend shows and championships in the NE or pay DCA to hold their own show to just get a seedling score for DCA Championships.

IMO DCA is saying you can only compete as an all-age group under their circuit and at your own incurred cost to do so, thanks for attending our Championships in little league town now go back to where you came from. 

A DCI all-age division makes more sense for organizations outside of the NE with more performance opportunities within proximity to those organizations too. 

Edited by Poppycock
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

I remember you guys at prelims in 1983. Not sure that was a non-top 12 corps, if you know what I mean.  LOL.

It was not easy for an "out of region" to break into that top 10. Boys of '76 in 1970... then MBI years later. And obviously the various Canadian corps.

Heck... for years, the Yankee Rebels were the outlier "southern corps." Baltimore. The Deep South. :tongue:

I know exactly what you mean and who put us in the stands that night.  There's a tree at the Econolodge in Allentown with a scar on it, where a limb used to be. 😉 I've calmed down considerably, since then. 

Edited by hairbear
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, hairbear said:

I know exactly what you mean and who put us in the stands that night.  There's a tree at the Econolodge in Allentown with a scar on it, where a limb used to be. 😉 I've calmed down considerably, since that night. 

Yeah nothing would take a Corps out at its knees like early morning prelims time with crowd still coming in and not even get on the recording.... year after year....

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

DCA was formed 55 years ago by a handful of corps who understood that the American Legion was no longer meeting their needs. That scenario could repeat. 

It would require vision, leadership and cooperation among the respective managements. DCA may be past its sell-by date, but that does not mean the corps will disappear.

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, ironlips said:

DCA was formed 55 years ago by a handful of corps who understood that the American Legion was no longer meeting their needs. That scenario could repeat. 

It would require vision, leadership and cooperation among the respective managements. DCA may be past its sell-by date, but that does not mean the corps will disappear.

This right here! Nailed it!  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

All good points, Steve. And they're coming from someone (you) who spent pretty much his entire DCA career traveling long distances (from Ohio) to get to rehearsals and shows.

But this goes to the whole "quid pro quo" thing that has been batted around for years. In order to help grow the circuit, perhaps spark some more interest in the South or Midwest, shouldn't the Northeast corps... in particular the headliner corps... travel to an "out of region" show once in a while, and why are the out-of-region corps expected to do pretty much all the traveling, and incur all those costs? I can't really blame the "traditional" corps for thinking the way they do, as you stated.... but still.

I don't have an easy answer to that. Or anything else.  :tongue: 

But perhaps we're now seeing, IMO, the results (intentional or not... I have no idea, and I'm not a mind reader) of a "traditional region only" approach.  14 corps at the championship, maybe fewer in the years to come, and not much awareness of DCA outside its traditional base.

I know in 88-91ish, DCA ran shows out of the NE...I performed in the Chicago and Dayton shows in 1989. there were more people in the corps on the field than in the stands.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

I know in 88-91ish, DCA ran shows out of the NE...I performed in the Chicago and Dayton shows in 1989. there were more people in the corps on the field than in the stands.

You with Westshore and me with Steel City, in 89. Steel City went to Chicago in 88, as well. Michigan in 90: Steel City and Minnesota Brass. Both Chicago shows were not well attended, Dayton was pitiful. Michigan show in 90 was alright....

4 hours ago, hairbear said:

You with Westshore and me with Steel City, in 89. Steel City went to Chicago in 88, as well. Michigan in 90: Steel City and Minnesota Brass. Both Chicago shows were not well attended, Dayton was pitiful. Michigan show in 90 was alright....

I recall Sunrisers making that Chicago trip in 1988.

I remember attending a Sunday DCA show in NJ (Montclair) the day after that Chicago gig... some folks from Sun who had flown home were at the NJ show. They were like, "hey look... a show that actually has people in the stands!!!"  LOL

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

I recall Sunrisers making that Chicago trip in 1988.

I remember attending a Sunday DCA show in NJ (Montclair) the day after that Chicago gig... some folks from Sun who had flown home were at the NJ show. They were like, "hey look... a show that actually has people in the stands!!!"  LOL

1989 Chicago show:  There were more people attending a soccer game at the field next to where the drum corps show was.  

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, hairbear said:

1989 Chicago show:  There were more people attending a soccer game at the field next to where the drum corps show was.  

there were more people at the mcDonalds where we learned the on field warmup on bus stop benches...at 7 am

• Haha 2