Will DCA be around in 5 years?

Will DCA be around in 5 years?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Will DCA be around in 5 years?

• Yes
    • No

12 minutes ago, xandandl said:

And next question would be:  Would that be more enticing to possible mms or audience? Probably a segment of both?

I’m not sure but I think it’s worth a shot as a marketing tool.  The Williamsport venue is still a drag but all brass ensembles are enticing to us purists. IMHO. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I was thinking this morning.  If the other side of the activity passes woodwinds, DCA could use their all-brass exclusivity as a marketing tool!  DCA: Still all brass in 2021. 

It’ll last 5 years tops 

• Like 3

On 1/4/2020 at 12:11 AM, Jeff Ream said:

it was never competition. the calendar clarifies that. i am amazed winds hasn't taken off more in the north east

I'm not all that surprised. Given band director demands after the fall MB season, I don't see all that many taking on more marching band in the winter. They already have jazz ensembles, musicals that require a pit orchestra, concert band (of course), and who-knows-what-else that require their time, plus of course their "outside" family life that fall MB often interferes with already. Stretched budgets also come into play.

11 hours ago, MikeD said:

I'm not all that surprised. Given band director demands after the fall MB season, I don't see all that many taking on more marching band in the winter. They already have jazz ensembles, musicals that require a pit orchestra, concert band (of course), and who-knows-what-else that require their time, plus of course their "outside" family life that fall MB often interferes with already. Stretched budgets also come into play.

The same arguments were being said 25 years ago about WGI Percussion. Look where that has progressed to today. I know a CG circuit that said they will never allow drums in a gym. Guess what, that CG circuit does not exist today.

3 hours ago, fsthnds said:

The same arguments were being said 25 years ago about WGI Percussion. Look where that has progressed to today. I know a CG circuit that said they will never allow drums in a gym. Guess what, that CG circuit does not exist today.

One difference, at least in my area, is that indoor guard and indoor percussion often do not involve the band director to a great degree. The MB staffs, if board approved, do the majority of the work. Just my opinion on my part of the northeast, from being around far too long!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, fsthnds said:

still some guard only circuits, usually when they have a percussion only circuit nearby

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MikeD said:

One difference, at least in my area, is that indoor guard and indoor percussion often do not involve the band director to a great degree. The MB staffs, if board approved, do the majority of the work. Just my opinion on my part of the northeast, from being around far too long!

pretty much.

DCA may be handed something that would, I hope, make our activity better. With the possibility of DCI adding WW's, here's an opportunity for DCA to maintain the drum and bugle corps activity without much competition (my opinion). 

A lot of revenue DCI and DCI corps make are from people like us who marched from the 1960's on to today. How many of you support a young student to march with a top 12 DCI corps? How many of you want to still see drum and bugle corps and NOT marching band. 

If DCI approves WW's then DCA should begin to put the pieces together to sell it as the ONLY drum and bugle corps association in North America.

Add to this if you'd like!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KeithHall said:

DCA may be handed something that would, I hope, make our activity better. With the possibility of DCI adding WW's, here's an opportunity for DCA to maintain the drum and bugle corps activity without much competition (my opinion). 

A lot of revenue DCI and DCI corps make are from people like us who marched from the 1960's on to today. How many of you support a young student to march with a top 12 DCI corps? How many of you want to still see drum and bugle corps and NOT marching band. 

If DCI approves WW's then DCA should begin to put the pieces together to sell it as the ONLY drum and bugle corps association in North America.

It’s my understanding that DCA has essentially been mirroring DCI to the extent that the average age has continued to drop due to show designs increasing physical demand. Labor Day Championship still remains a recruitment issue for many organizations, not to mention the lack of attendance at Championships. 

Edited by Poppycock
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, KeithHall said:

if DCI approves, DCA does so in 5 years

• Like 1