Jump to content

Will DCA be around in 5 years?


Will DCA be around in 5 years?  

99 members have voted

  1. 1. Will DCA be around in 5 years?

    • Yes
      33
    • No
      66


Recommended Posts

On 9/19/2022 at 10:26 PM, hairbear said:

Sitting on the sidelines (no longer participating in the activity), it seems pointless for me to suggest a course of action. That's a job for the "powers that be". Empty seats are saying something. Somebody ought to listen.

Yep. Once again, 100 percent on the money, my friend. Kinda sad to see the declining attendance. 

And I'm in the same situation... a relic from the past, no longer as involved as I once was. 

Heck, the DCA folks never (or rarely) listened to me when I worked for them...  why on Earth should they start now??? 😂

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/19/2022 at 10:26 PM, hairbear said:

Sitting on the sidelines (no longer participating in the activity), it seems pointless for me to suggest a course of action. That's a job for the "powers that be". Empty seats are saying something. Somebody ought to listen.

well....we care. thats why we speak up. we don't want to see it die

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

Yep. Once again, 100 percent on the money, my friend. Kinda sad to see the declining attendance. 

And I'm in the same situation... a relic from the past, no longer as involved as I once was. 

Heck, the DCA folks never (or rarely) listened to me when I was workng for them...  why on Earth should they start now??? 😂

it's your shirts.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

well....we care. thats why we speak up. we don't want to see it die

None of us here wish that outcome, though it's clear (at least to me) that the organization is on life support and the chart at the foot of its bed slants downward.

Unless some folks with real passion and ability step up, and soon, DCA is terminal. Each member corps seems to operate in a vacuum, with little effort devoted to the common good. Addressing that situation could supply some optimism.

Otherwise, we will soon be playing out a movie scene, looking at each other in our old corps jackets until someone says, "Well, we'll always have Scranton."

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i don't remember DCA ever announcing figures, but that number doesn't surprise me

I know the number from 2010. Won't say what it was, but it was not stellar, to say the least.

And this with the hometown Empire Statesmen at the top of their entertainment game with their "Oz" show, and two other great, entertaining corps (Buccaneers and Minnesota Brass) joining ES in the top three that year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

I know the number from 2010. Won't say what it was, but it was not stellar, to say the least.

And this with the hometown Empire Statesmen at the top of their entertainment game with their "Oz" show, and two other great, entertaining corps (Buccaneers and Minnesota Brass) joining ES in the top three that year. 

even when it went back in 06 it never got what 96 did. people from other areas didnt travel. just as with Annapolis, people from up northwest didnt travel.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i don't remember DCA ever announcing figures, but that number doesn't surprise me

I did a quick search and found this thread. Ill try later to find the Rochester Attendance Figure but It was around 2200 best I can remember. Because we were comparing it to Winston Salem Which was higher . 

Makes sense to me. If the organization is going to spend a lot of money to cross the pond they would want the most bang for it. DCI provides far more exposure and offers better venues for their members to perform for larger audiences than DCA. 
 

According to post on DCP by those who attended DCA in little league town attendance was less than 2k, was held at a high school stadium that faces the sun with bleacher seats and no aisle railings. Understandable why they are not attending DCA.

paid attendance based on what you could see on the ticket order website as of the Thursday prior.Jeff Ream
Westshoremen 89,90,95,96, 1996 DCA World Champions, Bucs drum staff 00, Empire drum staff 01 Shore alumni 02-14,
RIP Sean Holton. We miss you and we love you
Dealing with idiots takes a special kind of patience and a hint of perversion. Luckily for DCP, I have both to spare

Live by the plug, die by the plug

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, camel lips said:

I did a quick search and found this thread. Ill try later to find the Rochester Attendance Figure but It was around 2200 best I can remember. Because we were comparing it to Winston Salem Which was higher . 

Makes sense to me. If the organization is going to spend a lot of money to cross the pond they would want the most bang for it. DCI provides far more exposure and offers better venues for their members to perform for larger audiences than DCA. 
 

According to post on DCP by those who attended DCA in little league town attendance was less than 2k, was held at a high school stadium that faces the sun with bleacher seats and no aisle railings. Understandable why they are not attending DCA.

paid attendance based on what you could see on the ticket order website as of the Thursday prior.Jeff Ream
Westshoremen 89,90,95,96, 1996 DCA World Champions, Bucs drum staff 00, Empire drum staff 01 Shore alumni 02-14,
RIP Sean Holton. We miss you and we love you
Dealing with idiots takes a special kind of patience and a hint of perversion. Luckily for DCP, I have both to spare

Live by the plug, die by the plug

oh i remember the 2019 figures yes. and being in Winston Salem, i have yet to believe those figures. granted any DCA crowd would look small in that stadium, but i imagine if you added in the members, staff and support of the corps you could hit a higher number

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyone else feel that the problems with Williamsport put a big nail in the coffin. Thinking people stayed away and then realized they didn’t miss DCA Weekend that much when it left Billiesport. ESPECIALLY since there are other things to do Labor Day weekend.

I walked away from all DC for 10 years. After the first summer away didn’t really miss it 

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...