GetOFFmyDot

Will DCA be around in 5 years?

Will DCA be around in 5 years?  

71 members have voted

  1. 1. Will DCA be around in 5 years?

    • Yes
      25
    • No
      46


Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, 00Sop said:

The fact only 34 people have registered an opinion on this topic, during what should be DCA's time to shine in the run up to the Championships, is an indicator of where things are going.

Remove me from that list thank you. Wanted to understand why this circuit exist at all when there are other available options. Besides a thousand or more people nationwide and those very few who post, doesn’t appear to me to be much of a following. 

Edited by Poppycock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Remove me from that list thank you. Wanted to understand why this circuit exist at all when there are other available options. Besides a thousand or more people nationwide and those very few who post, doesn’t appear to me to be much of a following. 

Other than going with DCI shows what are the other options? Just making sure I understand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Other than going with DCI shows what are the other options? Just making sure I understand.

Well obviously DCI they at least have the venues. Depending on the number of those who feel the need to march after the age of 22 it would be SoundSport or WGI Winds, but said previously I doubt either WGI or DCI would manage a summer all age drum corps circuit whereas the majority are located in the NE and a handful are scattered around. Mind you I was trying to understand why there’s a need for this circuit in the first place considering the dynamics of modern drum corps. Oh and as I understood these are training organizations. 

Edited by Poppycock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Well obviously DCI they at least have the venues. Depending on the number of those who feel the need to march after the age of 22 it would be SoundSport or WGI Winds, but said previously I doubt either WGI or DCI would manage a summer all age drum corps circuit whereas the majority are located in the NE and a handful are scattered around. Mind you I was trying to understand why there’s a need for this circuit in the first place considering the dynamics of modern drum corps. 

You said “other available options” and I could only think of DCI. Forgot WGI was mentioned and I consider SS under DCI so I was checking. I work IT and when there is a nasty problem I like to get all kinds of options/opinions so just picking your brain (ouch).

As for need for an All age circuit, competition is still the name of the game and who else would handle it if DCI doesn’t want it. Even if the number of corps and audience is lot less than DCI.  Unless I missed your point

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

As for need for an All age circuit, competition is still the name of the game and who else would handle it if DCI doesn’t want it. Unless I missed your point

My point is that there’s no need for an all age circuit. Local brass bands are available for older people to play and both SoundSport and WGI allow for older participants, both provide competition.

To me it appears this DCA organization is trying to emulate that which already exist (DCI) just to accommodate a small percentage of people over the age of 22, and attempt to do so with little or no operating capital and very few staff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, lcarlton said:

It's the 10 Corps who make Finals in Open Class; and the Class A Champion. There was a vote to change the rules to extend voting rights to all corps who make finals in all classes at the last meeting but it was voted down.

 

 

Oh, it looks like I was right about six or seven pages ago.  After all, my husband was at the meeting and voted for the proposal.  🙄

Back to lurking. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

My point is that there’s no need for an all age circuit. Local brass bands are available for older people to play and both SoundSport and WGI allow for older participants, both provide competition.

To me it appears this DCA organization is trying to emulate that which already exist (DCI) just to accommodate a small percentage of people over the age of 22, and attempt to do so with little or no operating capital and very few staff. 

Funny part is DCA/Sr corps have been around longer than DCI/Jr corps so don’t fall in the mistaken idea that older folks wanted to copy the younger ones by creating DCA.

And no idea why this is a over/under 22 issue. You have people both under and over 22 who want to do drum corps in weekend warrior mode for various reasons. I marched Sr corps while in HS and college and see wide age range in corps today. 

And since I know little about SS or WGI I’ll ask. Are they the same full field drum corps experience as a corps competing in DCI or DCA? Plenty of brass bands and town bands within 50 miles of me and ... eh.. it ain’t drum corps, even if just doing a parade of standstill

 

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Oh, it looks like I was right about six or seven pages ago.  After all, my husband was at the meeting and voted for the proposal.  🙄

Back to lurking. 

Some #### never changes....

s/ guy whose corps was non member, associate member and full member in DCA over 6 years....

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 A lot of the posters here are discussing DCA 20 years ago, it is very different today, and very different for corps that are more than 200 miles from PA than for corps within 200 miles of Philly.    Most DCA Corps encourage or require their members to avoid this site because of the trolling and because todays corps have little in common with the hard partying DCA corps of 30 years ago.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

And since I know little about SS or WGI I’ll ask. Are they the same full field drum corps experience as a corps competing in DCI or DCA? 

 

Absolutely not the same. But since these are essentially training corps the educational experience and time commitment works well for older member participants. 

From what I’ve read it doesn’t appear that the interest is very high to attend their Championships.

Don’t believe that either DCI or WGI will want to be dictated to by an organization that see’s themselves in a different light than they. Who wouldn’t find that attitude to be unacceptable. 

I was told in private message that some corps from the UK is coming to the States in 2020 to perform in DCI shows and at DCI in Indy, but won’t be going to a single DCA show. Why do you think they would do that since they’re an all age organization? My guess is that they get more for their money by doing a DCI schedule, not to mention a larger viewing audience. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.