Will DCA be around in 5 years?

Will DCA be around in 5 years?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Will DCA be around in 5 years?

• Yes
    • No

2 minutes ago, VOReason said:

For the record, I certainly saw the 2016 championships as close as the score indicated, however I came away from the performances clearly feeling that C2 was the deserving champion!  And in 2011, I felt that MBI performed the snot out of their program, while Reading seemed to finish the season a tad stale.  That being said, I never thought that the margin of the win would be found in the visual caption.  But back on topic, the health of this circuit is clearly influenced by the age of audience, conflicting entertainment choices, etc., however the complete, almost total lack of parity has been glaring since 2005!

I agree 100 percent on the bolded part. The Bucs have been on a roll unlike anyone else, certainly in DCA history, if not the entire history of drum corps. (I know the Caballeros dominated the American Legion championship for a good while back in the day, and some junior corps also had good runs at the AL and VFW, so I don't know if their numbers compare.)

What the folks at Reading have accomplished... it's almost surreal. Even the Blue Devils come up short more than twice in 14-15 years.  :tongue:

7 hours ago, BigW said:

Watched CT's show, it's not up to the design standards Mason and Centerville set. Percussion might be better... but in terms of arranging, visual design, guard,  it's not as strong in many aspects.

i honestly refuse to compare a drum corps show to a band show. apples and oranges

7 hours ago, xandandl said:

But DCI doesn't have that "unique" "Communication" caption that is so distinctively DCA.

you mean a separate sheet that's nothing more than Ge terms?

7 hours ago, xandandl said:

That's "un-American."  No school until the Tuesday AFTER Labor Day, for students or teachers.  The way it used to be before NCAAFB and ESPN changed everything.

actually the fact that schools call off for weather far more often changed it.

5 hours ago, VOReason said:

Saw Bucs at the Scranton show where their “Breaking Through” show started breaking through.  They should have won in Scranton and every show after that.  By prelims/finals there was no program in the same zip code.  One of best finals performances I have ever seen!

i felt they won their home show that year. I wasn't in Rachacha, I watched at home. the higher the stadium, the better for that show when it got clean. the prelims spread surprised me.

3 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i honestly refuse to compare a drum corps show to a band show. apples and oranges

For how much longer, I wonder.

8 hours ago, C.Holland said:

Norton, Lakota East are also incredible groups a bit behind Mason and Centerville, with  Miamisburg a little behind them.  

As I said, I'm going to defer any of my own opinions on that subject to a different time and place, and thus am not disputing your opinion, but I would note that the BOA judges ranked Norton at 6th among the 33 Ohio bands at Grand Nationals last year -- and Miamisburg was one of the bands that they thought was better. (Norton advanced to semifinals based on class.) There were another four Ohio bands who outscored Norton at other BOA regionals in 2018, plus two more who tied or better those four at other BOA regionals or super regionals. So just based on BOA scores, Norton would be 12th in the state -- and that's before factoring in another five to ten Ohio bands who don't attend BOA but who beat or tied those previously mentioned in other circuits.

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

you mean a separate sheet that's nothing more than GE terms?

If it were up to you to improve DCA's sheets, how would you do it?

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Truth to that... but as everyone gripes now, the window is narrowing a lot more than it used to be. And again, I'll ask, Jeff-- how much of the issue with recruiting in DCA convincing some of these kids that they'll perform a better program and get an overall better experience? It was a problem 40 years ago, and I think in some cases, that's become a bigger problem now. Some of it is perceptions, and that takes a lot of PR to counter those perceptions.

7 hours ago, VOReason said:

Saw Bucs at the Scranton show where their “Breaking Through” show started breaking through.  They should have won in Scranton and every show after that.  By prelims/finals there was no program in the same zip code.  One of best finals performances I have ever seen!

They started to understand that program, but never really clicked with it until Finals. One started to see understanding and improvements, but from what was told me, it was that last performance where they blew the lid off the program.

• Like 1