Will DCA be around in 5 years?

Will DCA be around in 5 years?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Will DCA be around in 5 years?

• Yes
    • No

21 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

If it were up to you to improve DCA's sheets, how would you do it?

first off, ditch communication. ambiguous as hell, mostly GE speak already covered on the GE sheet. Second, field visual needs to come back. yes people say Ensemble can catch things, and may, but the sheet is designed to be an upstairs sheet. the last few years some of the individual issues...at finals up into the top 3....has been horrific to defend.

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, BigW said:

Truth to that... but as everyone gripes now, the window is narrowing a lot more than it used to be. And again, I'll ask, Jeff-- how much of the issue with recruiting in DCA convincing some of these kids that they'll perform a better program and get an overall better experience? It was a problem 40 years ago, and I think in some cases, that's become a bigger problem now. Some of it is perceptions, and that takes a lot of PR to counter those perceptions.

i am not sure the solution to recruiting. But when I see Bucs, Cabs and usually Bush at ACC's with tables, and I see them on the field with young corps, they must be doing something right in terms of getting kids. I remember working a band show or 2 back in the mid 90's as we brought Westshore back, and the pitch was "come here, learn some cool stuff, then go to DCI. When you're done there, come back!" Looking at the membership around me in 95/96, and having marched with several of them in 89/90 that went to DCI, then came back, it worked.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i am not sure the solution to recruiting. But when I see Bucs, Cabs and usually Bush at ACC's with tables, and I see them on the field with young corps, they must be doing something right in terms of getting kids. I remember working a band show or 2 back in the mid 90's as we brought Westshore back, and the pitch was "come here, learn some cool stuff, then go to DCI. When you're done there, come back!" Looking at the membership around me in 95/96, and having marched with several of them in 89/90 that went to DCI, then came back, it worked.

I'm curious as to percentages.  I know people sign up as interested... how many of those actually pursue or drop out when they can't afford it... or parents nix the idea... how many actually go to an open house, then how many actually get to rehearsals, then how many actually are on board for the season. I have a feeling that if the number that actually get beyond the "interested at the recruiting booths and actually stick" is above 5 percent , I'd be very impressed. I do know some of the corps have designated individuals that just do recruiting and finding the right people for the corps.

28 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

ditch communication

I agree. I've asked people who are supposed to know what the heck it means and have gotten rather ambiguous answers. I have a guess what it means... but I think it was included to just get 10 points more into the Effect Captions to give them even more weight. That could easily be done by a 1.5 multiplier to the normal 20 point sheet. Scary I figured that one out, it makes too much common sense. :innocent:

It took at least 2 seasons where one began to see some actual independence of the Communication subcaption number from the normal 2 subcaptions… and that alone told me a few things.

Edited by BigW

6 hours ago, BigW said:

I'm curious as to percentages.  I know people sign up as interested... how many of those actually pursue or drop out when they can't afford it... or parents nix the idea... how many actually go to an open house, then how many actually get to rehearsals, then how many actually are on board for the season. I have a feeling that if the number that actually get beyond the "interested at the recruiting booths and actually stick" is above 5 percent , I'd be very impressed. I do know some of the corps have designated individuals that just do recruiting and finding the right people for the corps.

i don't know what the percentages were. I know in 96 we cut drummers. first 2 camps we didn't have enough snares and people played on pads.You'd have to talk to people in charge of recruiting for corps, at least the ones that actually keep stats on things

6 hours ago, BigW said:

I agree. I've asked people who are supposed to know what the heck it means and have gotten rather ambiguous answers. I have a guess what it means... but I think it was included to just get 10 points more into the Effect Captions to give them even more weight. That could easily be done by a 1.5 multiplier to the normal 20 point sheet. Scary I figured that one out, it makes too much common sense. :innocent:

It took at least 2 seasons where one began to see some actual independence of the Communication subcaption number from the normal 2 subcaptions… and that alone told me a few things.

I've seen the sheets. it's basically another GE sheet. And a few years ago, sat right in front of a GE judge and heard every word. Not sure what they were judging, but it wasnt the sheet

4 hours ago, coloradocorp said:

Jeff  - time will tell where DCA is x years from now.  Perhaps you will be one of the few left on these forums.  

maybe. if there is no DCA, no need for a forum for it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

i don't know what the percentages were. I know in 96 we cut drummers. first 2 camps we didn't have enough snares and people played on pads.You'd have to talk to people in charge of recruiting for corps, at least the ones that actually keep stats on things

I know. I have a guess it can be a very frustrating task for at least 12 reasons. When a corps is regarded as 'good', it helps. People will come out for it. Had that effect in '83 when a lot of people showed up out of a lot of different directions.

I do remember the Bucs always encouraged the members to try and find one other person to recruit. We tried that at Westshore as well in that era. I can think of at least 3 people my sister and I tried to get on board but none of them stuck it out. Too much of a commitment.

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

I've seen the sheets. it's basically another GE sheet. And a few years ago, sat right in front of a GE judge and heard every word. Not sure what they were judging, but it wasnt the sheet

I would think the post contest conversations were interesting. :whistle:

• Haha 1