Will DCA be around in 5 years?

Will DCA be around in 5 years?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Will DCA be around in 5 years?

• Yes
    • No

15 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i am not sure the solution to recruiting. But when I see Bucs, Cabs and usually Bush at ACC's with tables, and I see them on the field with young corps, they must be doing something right in terms of getting kids. I remember working a band show or 2 back in the mid 90's as we brought Westshore back, and the pitch was "come here, learn some cool stuff, then go to DCI. When you're done there, come back!" Looking at the membership around me in 95/96, and having marched with several of them in 89/90 that went to DCI, then came back, it worked.

That was somewhat the approach of Corpsvets (now CV) back in the early 00's. It started out early as more of a "Did you used to march somewhere and miss it? Come march again!" and then became a recruiting platform to younger members a few years later. Younger staff (Leif Marwede for example) started to bring in younger members from groups they were teaching at the HS and college level and started the ball rolling. What CV has done to continue that is unclear to me beyond the front ensemble and battery. I know Romo brings in LOTS of kids and former DCI talent. Hopefully corps are taking advantage of situations like that and then expanding their connections THROUGH those folks to keep the recruiting up if that staff member moves on. 

I will say this as well. When I first approached CV in 2003 it was described to me by a member as basically a "Spirit of Atlanta alumni corps" by one of the members. And we did have a lot of vets from SOA, Southwind, Freelancers (oddly enough,) Cadets and Skyryders. The younger members were really recruited by their parents to come march. It was very much a family thing. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i don't know what the percentages were. I know in 96 we cut drummers. first 2 camps we didn't have enough snares and people played on pads.You'd have to talk to people in charge of recruiting for corps, at least the ones that actually keep stats on things

We did at CV in '05 as well. We had plenty of equipment but the line wasn't clean until cuts started to happen. CV made places in the corps for anyone who wanted to march though even if it wasn't on their "instrument of choice."

Wow.... looking at the voting numbers, it appears that "DCA not being around in 5 years" not only is winning the popular vote but also looks strong in the Electoral College!!! :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Wow.... looking at the voting numbers, it appears that "DCA not being around in 5 years" not only is winning the popular vote but also looks strong in the Electoral College!!! :tongue:

It might be around but with 8 corps.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BigW said:

I would think the post contest conversations were interesting. :whistle:

the recap that night said it all

42 minutes ago, BigW said:

It might be around but with 8 corps.

Which would really suck... for the fans, and the corps.

51 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

So much for Prelims which weirdly enough could solve some of the issues getting everything scheduled 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

the recap that night said it all

If it's the show I think you're talking about... yeah, that was a bit off base.  LOL.

8 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

So much for Prelims which weirdly enough could solve some of the issues getting everything scheduled 

Might be able to squeeze all events into one day!  :tongue:

In all seriousness.... I certainly hope for the best for my friends with all the DCA groups.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Frankly, I think it's a cumulative effect from day one of the circuit. I think BITD there were so many corps that as long as the big names were there and ready and were healthy, the heck with the rest. It was and is still very Darwinian. Have the money, talent, size, and staff or fold whenever you give up trying. I don't think anyone anticipated the trend . They figured there would be enough chumps pleading to get into DCA shows and break out from RCA/ICA, grist for the mill to make it sustainable. The Class A addition was the right thing to do, but perhaps too late, even 15 years ago. 

The survivors are gritty, savvy, smart and capable. What will be left will present pretty good shows. The question will be whether anyone will be in the stands other than Bandma Jones and Aunt Mabel, but wait! They've been to the contest their relative's corps hosted, so no need to travel to championships. The rest of us will be too daggone old.

Edited by BigW
  • Like 1