Will DCA be around in 5 years?

Will DCA be around in 5 years?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Will DCA be around in 5 years?

• Yes
    • No

14 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Hmmm! Looks like the nays have it. 

I think it’s obvious to anyone reading DCp that DCA has issues that just begat more issues. This thread alone makes that clear 

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

Forget that - the NE corps do not even travel to shows in their own region.  Shows at Rochester or Long Island only get 2 or 3 competitors.

Why even have all-age corps if they cannot/will not go to shows?

In DCI, new corps have sprung up and raised the money to attend shows in their region, while others have gone on to tour.  In DCA, it feels like corps are reluctant to attend shows.  Is it that they cannot raise the money to travel, even locally?  Or is there something about the DCA financial model that no longer works?  

There’s pros and cons to this argument. Travel costs a lot more than it did 20 years ago. Corps don’t even break even. So then cost is passed on to the membership and eventually the cost for a weekend only activity can chase people away. Most of the NE doesn’t have the option for say bingo or revenue from a Post to help subsidize the costs. And with DCA still on a negotiation approach of corps by corps, host by host, there’s no standardized incentive. I know people like to bash Bucs for their light schedule but that’s no exactly new. I taught there in 2000, and we didn’t go out until July. They still took dci east off from a show and with dci finals in maryland, we were off. I’m pretty sure there was another weekend in July we didn’t go out. 

Why? Cost

1 hour ago, wishbonecav said:

LOL. I forgot where I was.  Fresh ideas or enthusiasm are not expanded or brainstormed further on DCP.   Another sad waste of time.  

You refuse to accept the DCA audience is aging and not a #### thing is being done to address that. Nor do you offer anything that will appeal to the younger generation 

Edited by Jeff Ream

10 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

and Herco to decide Beyonce would make them more money and kill the show

well... if people don't go, why hold a show?  

if you fund it, the stadium will have it. 

23 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

well... if people don't go, why hold a show?  

if you fund it, the stadium will have it. 

Maybe you should ask instead of assuming wrong...

Actually good attendance for a drum corps show. But when a rock concert seats people on the field along with the stands we’re talking about 25K warm bodies. And Beyoncé, Springsteen, Billy Joel, U2, etc pay a helluva lot more for stadium rental. 

Big part of the problem is Herco refuses to sign contracts for stadium rental. Last Hershey corps show was scheduled but then Herco got a better deal with Destinys Child and killed the corps show. It went to court but since there wasn’t a signed contract Herco won the suit against them. So why try to hold a show and hold your breath that you will not lose the site? IMO this killed any chance for a future corps show than anything else. Weird thinking that the DCA Finals hosted at Hershey could have been killed if someone else came up with a better offer.

Hershey Stadium has hosted Big 33 high school football game for decades. Possibly biggest publicity of any event held there as between PA and another states best HS players. Few years back one of the Big 33 heads said they can’t get Herco to sign a contract either.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

4 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Maybe you should ask instead of assuming wrong...

Actually good attendance for a drum corps show. But when a rock concert seats people on the field itself we’re talking about 25K warm bodies. And Beyoncé, Springsteen, Billy Joel, U2, etc pay a helluva lot more for stadium rental. 

Big part of the problem is Herco refuses to sign contracts for stadium rental. Last Hershey corps show was scheduled but then Herco got a better deal with Destinys Child and killed the corps show. It went to court but since there wasn’t a signed contract Herco won the suit against them. So why try to hold a show and hold your breath that you will lose the site?

Hershey Stadium has hosted Big 33 high school football game for decades. Possibly biggest publicity of any event held there as between PA and another states best HS players. Few years back one of the Big 33 heads said they can’t get Herco to sign a contract either.

I hear ya, Jim... Hershey is a different animal altogether. Don't know for sure, but perhaps one reason the fall band shows have been safe there is that there are no outdoor concerts then.  LOL.

To make a long story short... I remember in 2000,  one concern about DCI possibly running at Fedex Field in the DC suburbs was that the owner of the Redskins could pull the plug at any moment on a whim... even with a signed contract. Dude was/is a loose cannon, IMO.

So the show eventually ended up at College Park that year.

13 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

I hear ya, Jim... Hershey is a different animal altogether. Don't know for sure, but perhaps one reason the fall band shows have been safe there is that there are no outdoor concerts then.  LOL.

To make a long story short... I remember in 2000,  one concern about DCI possibly running at Fedex Field in the DC suburbs was that the owner of the Redskins could pull the plug at any moment on a whim... even with a signed contract. Dude was/is a loose cannon, IMO.

So the show eventually ended up at College Park that year.

Skins have a history of loose cannons as owners but didn’t know about this story, thanks. Skins were last team in the NFL to be integrated and owner was reason for holdout. Finally DC said you can’t keep this crap up and play in the cities stadium.

Hershey hosts a lot of HS football playoff games. Think they are safe for same reason as band shows. Brrrrr...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

2 hours ago, wishbonecav said:

LOL. I forgot where I was.  Fresh ideas or enthusiasm are not expanded or brainstormed further on DCP.   Another sad waste of time.  

Joey, you've made some great points... love the idea of turning the weekend into a "festival" sort of thing, it would make the weekend more than "just a drum corps show." One small example, Bushwackers had a great crowd in 2015 at their show in Clifton, partly because they had Al Chez and his band at intermission... brought in some folks who otherwise might not pay just to see the same corps again.  It was a great atmosphere that night. Like a big party.

But whatever DCA does, it  has to go hand in hand with a "getting younger blood involved" component.

When it comes to zeroing on a target market, DCI is way out in front. Are they perfect? No, of course not... and drum corps, at any level, will always be a niche activity, unknown to the vast majority of folks in the USA or anywhere.  But the younger folks coming in... whether it be with their parents, or in blocs of tickets sold to local bands, or whatever... are clicking the turnstiles at the DCI major events.

Edited by Fran Haring

2 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Skins have a history of lost cannons as owners but didn’t know about this story, thanks. Skins were last team in the NFL to be integrated and owner was reason for holdout. Finally DC said you can’t keep this crap up and play in the cities stadium.

Hershey hosts a lot of HS football playoff games. Think they are safe for same reason as band shows. Brrrrr...

I was privy to some of the behind-the-scenes stuff with that. Won't say how. LOL.

• Haha 1

sitting in the expensive seats with our group at DCA I was struck by the “advanced” age of the people around us.....

just realized the last time I was there in person was 6 years ago...