Will DCA be around in 5 years?

Will DCA be around in 5 years?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Will DCA be around in 5 years?

• Yes
    • No

11 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I take your point, but I think this is an exaggeration.

In 2017, both The Company and Kidsgrove Scouts appeared in competitions here, the former in DCI on Aug. 10 and the latter in DCA on Sep. 3.

Then they went on to compete head to head in DCUK and DCE later in September -- where their scores were just 0.3 apart.

In DCI, The Company's final score was about 70. In DCA, Kidsgrove Scouts' final score was approximately 92.

In all circuits, corps tend to improve by 2-3 points per week.

So we can say, roughly, that a range of 76-79 in DCI = 92 in DCA.

Again, roughly.

Which suggests that the DCA Open Class medalists would be scoring somewhere in the 80s in DCI. Maybe pushing 90 for the very best shows.

That doesn't mean I think the same sheets should be used. The different circuits have similar but not identical criteria. Some DCA shows are more entertaining than some DCI shows that would far outscore them on DCI sheets.

The sheets used on the priority list of issues DCA needs to address is so far down the list, that people discussing it is staggering.

championship venues near where corps are is a must.

getting a fan base we’ll under 50 is a must

marketing period is top 3

championship event weekend is top 3. 

Getting the voting membership to agree to many big changes for their own good is top 3.

what sheets they use is top 500000000000000000

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

The sheets used on the priority list of issues DCA needs to address is so far down the list, that people discussing it is staggering.

Championship venues near where corps are is a must.

Getting a fan base we’ll under 50 is a must.

Marketing period is top 3

Championship event weekend is top 3. 

Getting the voting membership to agree to many big changes for their own good is top 3.

What sheets they use is top 500000000000000000.

Yes I agree.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Wrong. Lots of changes need to be made. But who wants to compete for a championship score of 39.95?

And fans thinking Why the hades do I want to see a corps that scores a 40? 

4 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Is DCI interested in managing these types of groups that have practically no national footprint or aligned with the DCI mission statement? It would surprise me if they were. 

I understand if these types of groups need local DCI show performance opportunities, and it’s been stated that DCI allows this even though there is no official DCI Class for all age groups. IMO that in itself should help control cost.

As an alternative competitive all age circuit SoundSport and WGI Winds might be their better options, if their circuit is truly failing due to the dynamics previously stated by others. I don’t know for sure only speculating but unlike DCI the DCA corps don’t seem to have as much influence on the direction or operations of their circuit. However if that’s not true then they only have themselves to blame for its demise. 

Have no more to share. 

I agree with bunch of your observations on this thread, especially Labor Day being less of a viable day for Championships.

When it comes to SoundSport, it's a great idea that's been a little successful in its mission (giving a venue for start-up groups that can't quite be DCI Open Class yet), but it's current iteration doesn't really appeal to me. The scoring system is weird (you can get a "gold medal" ranking, but finish 5th?) and the "finals" venue is tiny. If they organized SoundSport to have distinct classes (i.e. a "Concert Class" akin to WGI's concert percussion class, a "Field Class" that can perform on DCA-style sheets and on a full field, a "Stage Class" that can perform in the current condensed setting, etc), I'd be more on board with it. 

I haven't followed WGI Winds much. I saw Aimachi do a cool show, but otherwise I have yet to see a show that really wows me. I was a part of a couple start up attempts, but convincing horn-playing kids who are just finished with fall marching season to do this thing they've never heard of is a tough sell, especially if you're not in CA/TX/IN/OH.

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

Agreed. DCI judges use them for DCA corps all the time (maybe not effectively in some cases, but otherwise they get it). The only fundamental difference is the communication sub caption for the GE judges. Besides that, it's fine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigW said:

Been discussed here over and over.

Travel. LONG travel. The main corps in the NE never have to travel outside PA, NJ, and fringes of NY and do not. You have to play their game and it's not easy. A LOT of friction there. 

WOW! Now that explains a lot. Not all organizations are sharing the risk and cost of traveling. 

Lots of reasons to be in a death spiral.

1. With fewer corps and less shows why would anyone go through the trouble.  Does it impact recruiting.

2. Most corps seem to struggle filling out therecruiting. Related to #1 above

3. Attendance is impacted by the limited number of corps.  What is the excitement of going to championships when everyone makes finals.

I heard from a little bird that there were eight corps that were considering breaking away from DCA, do DCI shows and begin and end their seasons at the same time as DCI.  I guess DCA got wind of it from someone and they put the kibosh on that.  They told DCI to not speak with individual corps and only do business through them. And they also said that the only way you could do an all-age show in Indy DCI week was if you also attended DCA championships in Williamsport, too.  Which defeated the purpose of going to DCI and ending the season early in the first place.  

Edited by Terri Schehr

51 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I heard from a little bird that there were eight corps that were considering breaking away from DCA, do DCI shows and begin and end their seasons at the same time as DCI.  I guess DCA got wind of it from someone and they put the kibosh on that.  They told DCI to not speak with individual corps and only do business through them. And they also said that the only way you could do an all-age show in Indy DCI week was if you also attended DCA championships in Williamsport, too.  Which defeated the purpose of going to DCI and ending the season early in the first place.  

Interesting.

Isn't DCA just the top ten corps collectively? Presumably some people who control DCA were also part of this attempted breakaway.

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

Interesting as heard Alumni corps had to commit to filling x number of hotel rooms also. Not sure if just that location (wouldn’t say which) but soured at least one group from wanting to perform. 

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

This is totally false, totally false.