Will DCA be around in 5 years?

Will DCA be around in 5 years?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Will DCA be around in 5 years?

• Yes
    • No

15 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Not sure. At least in terms of the number of participants, DCA seems to have grown from the mid-1990s to the mid-2000s, and then held fairly steady for about a decade.

However, maybe that seemingly positive aspect was a fluke masking a deeper problem that no one was paying attention to?

definitely. the approach to building the regions outside the NE was....well....not much

• Like 1

However DCA did correct the email sent out about buying 2020 tickets

2020 DCA World Championships

Greetings jeff!

Last week, you received an email that included incorrect dates for the 2020 DCA World Championships. Please rest assured that the DCA Championships will again be held over the Labor Day Weekend with the following dates:

Saturday, September 5, 2020 – DCA Prelims

Sunday, September 6, 2020 – DCA Alumni Spectacular & DCA Finals

Visit our site for more information about the 2020 Championships in Williamsport, PA and to purchase tickets.

We apologize for any confusion and we look forward to seeing you for the 2020 season!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think instead of us talking about the demise of DCA (or drum corps in general) maybe all of us highly intelligent people (I can't put myself in that group) can brainstorm solutions with DCA to improve the brand! Social media, to me, allows some people a chance to say whatever they want (and that's okay) but how about talking about solutions? If I were on the DCA Management team I'd be angry! But NOW if we, collectively, find solutions maybe DCA can be improved! It's just an idea.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Not sure. At least in terms of the number of participants, DCA seems to have grown from the mid-1990s to the mid-2000s, and then held fairly steady for about a decade.

However, maybe that seemingly positive aspect was a fluke masking a deeper problem that no one was paying attention to?

Well mid 90s was a horrible point so either go up or.... Came back to following corps 2003 and what struck me was number of Class A corps from outside of NE. Then they went poof for some reason... hmm time for new thread..

3 hours ago, KeithHall said:

I think instead of us talking about the demise of DCA (or drum corps in general) maybe all of us highly intelligent people (I can't put myself in that group) can brainstorm solutions with DCA to improve the brand! Social media, to me, allows some people a chance to say whatever they want (and that's okay) but how about talking about solutions? If I were on the DCA Management team I'd be angry! But NOW if we, collectively, find solutions maybe DCA can be improved! It's just an idea.

sure. they have to accept offers to help. still waiting for a phone call from last November when I was told to expect one

• Like 1

On 8/27/2019 at 2:03 AM, GetOFFmyDot said:

Wow!  Such a great discussion.  Thanks everyone for voting and sharing your thoughts.

I think DCA will have a very hard path to survival/viability if it remains a strictly NE activity.  

It can survive, but with 12 corps from Eastern PA, NJ, CT, and Long Island.

On 9/6/2019 at 7:59 AM, JimF-LowBari said:

Well mid 90s was a horrible point so either go up or.... Came back to following corps 2003 and what struck me was number of Class A corps from outside of NE. Then they went poof for some reason... hmm time for new thread..

Well, they went poof because it's expensive to run a corps to begin with let alone trying to travel to Rochester/Annapolis/Williamsport from where they were based. Add to it trying to find places to perform before Championship weekend and not blow the budget. Add to that perhaps a perception from the kids from those areas that the corps wasn't providing them with a better experience from what they got in HS. I know a lot of smoke has been blown about Texas, and it would be insanely hard to recruit kids down there to do DCA based on what many of their decent/middle of the road programs for where they're from are like.

• 2 weeks later...

DCA should bury the hatchet with DCI and combine in a way that benefits both. I remember those groups doing some stuff in the late 1990"s but very little came from it. DCA truly only exists in about 12 to 15 states try to put together shows from that low number. Mn Brass though DCM had the ability to do local shows with Junior corps. I think had DCI continued to embrace the "Senior Div"  it would have helped DCA gain exposure nation wide and continue their growth. 

Speaking of the the ebbs and flows of corps, I had totally missed the news earlier this year that The Company, one of the top two British corps (the other being Kidsgrove Scouts, who have traveled many times to DCA championships), took this year off. Why? Because the school with whom they'd had a longstanding relationship is under new management and wanted to go in a different direction.

Edit: in fact it looks like they may be moving permanently to indoor status. They cite the challenges that weather posts to electronics as a reason.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

• 2 weeks later...