Will DCA be around in 5 years?

Will DCA be around in 5 years?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Will DCA be around in 5 years?

• Yes
    • No

6 hours ago, C.Holland said:

and now they get to complain about a lack of groups overall.   double headed crocodile has bit the activity in the butt.  

yup. And I see both sides of the argument. As an activity we have already bred this "lot experience" mantra that has people, especially younger ones stay out until the big names come in anyways, and some fans just wont end the tailgate and watch everyone. Then you have the fans that go in, but do nothing but complain about corps not being decent sized or good.

That sucks for those corps....fewer eyeballs on them. I go, I watch everyone. But I'm not everyone. I try to find the positive, but even with some of these groups, thats challenging.When I wrote for DCW, i was asked to cover DCA prelims the first year in Annapolis, and when the first rain hit my notes got soaked, but what made it worse is some of the earlier A class corps chose programs so poorly....above their size or talent.....that even as I was taking notes, i wondered how i could put a DCW positive spin on some of those shows. It's one of the reasons why I stopped doing reviews. That and a wiggly child attending some with us. I just can't find it in my heart to praise bad design. I know the performers are trying, but those responsible for what they have been given deserve to be flogged.

And thats what hosts heard about. I mean take comments you have seen and heard about Pioneer their last few years and add in salt and vinegar in an open wound. 

I've cringed from comments in the crowd about some of the groups trying to make it.

Also saw one in the early 90's where it may have been their only DCA performance before they imploded. I learned a lesson from that organization- Just because someone might have some clue about teaching or show design, doesn't mean they can handle the business aspect of running one of these organizations effectively. The look wasn't good.

The problem is, some of these groups struggle when they start. Really struggle, and I can see where some people don't want to see that.

Perhaps some groups are way better off in a Mini/SoundSport environment where they can just play something decently without  worrying about running all over the turf.

On the other hand, there are some start-ups which I've seen that have come out of the box with a really enjoyable, quality product. Encorps pulled that off rather nicely. Credit where credit is due.

7 hours ago, C.Holland said:

and now they get to complain about a lack of groups overall.   double headed crocodile has bit the activity in the butt.  

Exactly.  Circuit that fosters exclusivity from admin to promoters to corps to fans now wonders where everyone went.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Exactly.  Circuit that fosters exclusivity from admin to promoters to corps to fans now wonders where everyone went.

Mike

DCA has always been that way. Not an excuse as much an observation. Hence RCA, ICA to get the start-ups places to compete BITD. I wonder how many corps didn't survive BITD that might have been able to make it work if there would have been more support that had some numbers and were decent enough to make a respectable showing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BigW said:

DCA has always been that way. Not an excuse as much an observation. Hence RCA, ICA to get the start-ups places to compete BITD. I wonder how many corps didn't survive BITD that might have been able to make it work if there would have been more support that had some numbers and were decent enough to make a respectable showing.

correct. RCA gave a lot of corps a chance...but there was no money in anything other than DCA

On 10/10/2019 at 12:44 PM, Fran Haring said:

The squirrel act might be tough. With the water and all that, it's a logistics thing. :laughing:

Considering that here, in the South, we seem to take full blown arenas and fill them with mud (pronounced "muuuuuuuuddddddddd" followed by an echo-y voice saying "Thunder...Thunder...THUNDERRRRRR")......we here could probably figure out the squirrel logistics. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

correct. RCA gave a lot of corps a chance...but there was no money in anything other than DCA

Oh yeah quote that will be the last thing I remember about corps:

Q: why don’t we do more RCA shows and come in first instead on coming in last at DCA shows?

A (picture Hershmans voice): because we get paid more coming in last at DCA than we do coming in first at RCA... THAT’S WHY

think $1000 vs $800

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Speaking of RCA, where are they now? I know the answer but really, where are those corps that made that organization? Dunkirk, Getzville, Hamburg, Freestatesmen, Kawartha Kavaliers, Pittsburgh Rockets, Hanover Lancers, St. Johnsonburg Diplomats, etc.

Only a guess, Keith, but I believe they are gone forever. Back then, or just before, I was a member of Emmaus Sentinels, also of RCA.  Totally different days in which to operate and manage a corps.  Most likely, they all  ran out of members able to continue active participation.  Now, even MORE difficult to get something together again.

That was a time when there were NO membership dues. Now, what is average, $500? Plus, additional charges to some for bus trips?

Here's a secret . . .  Back in the day, Reading Buccaneers actually paid me (in a sense) to participate. Many outside the immediate Reading Area were given money to help pay for gasoline to get to practice!

• Like 1