Will DCA be around in 5 years?

Will DCA be around in 5 years?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Will DCA be around in 5 years?

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

That was a great year.  But the ugliness of the 1990 awards ceremony in Allentown will stick with me forever.

Fans unmercifully booing when Bushwackers were announced in 1st over Statesmen and Cabs. And at least one corps staffer (a well-known individual) egging the crowd on from the sidelines. All of it uncalled for. One of DCA's lowest, if not the lowest,  moments... IMO of course.

It literally was the only show that I have worked where I felt concerned for my safety... since the announcer's table was situated between the fans and the drum majors, and I was wondering if/when folks were going to start throwing stuff. LOL.

I was on the receiving end of that unmerciful booing.  It was very ugly.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CHRISP said:

I was on the receiving end of that unmerciful booing.  It was very ugly.

I hear that.

Honestly, from my admittedly limited vantage point that night... IMO it was a basically a tossup as to who won, and that's how the scores ended up.  Bush carried the night. The booing, and the other stuff... very low rent, and absolutely unnecessary.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

On 10/27/2019 at 1:36 PM, Poppycock said:

It’s called return on investment! There has to be value. 

So, one considers the White Sabres, Fusion Core, and the Bushwackers valueless? Ever seen them, or are you making a decision based solely on numbers put down by judges?

1 hour ago, BigW said:

So, one considers the White Sabres, Fusion Core, and the Bushwackers valueless? Ever seen them, or are you making a decision based solely on numbers put down by judges?

Numbers are irrelevant! Placements and spreads are far more important.

Seen videos of all-age corps including those you mentioned. Didn’t find it as entertaining as advertised and I won’t be attending or streaming. 

Found some all-age videos from the 80’s and early 90’s to be far more entertaining especially musically. IMO seemed to me both audience and MM’s were enjoying what it was. Which is better than trying to be something it wasn’t. 

Edited by Poppycock
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Found some all-age videos from the 80’s and early 90’s to be far more entertaining especially musically. IMO seemed to me both audience and MM’s were enjoying what it was. Which is better than trying to be something it wasn’t. 

I'd extend that through the 1990s into the early 2000s... but what you have said is on the money.  (Posting this at the risk of being taken apart by my longtime DCA friends.  LOL)

Not saying there haven't been entertaining, fun, "get the fans jumping to their feet" DCA shows since then... there have.

But... again IMO (and not taking anything away from the time and effort these groups put in) they are fewer and further between. That gut-level, visceral, intangible connection from the days you mentioned... not really there much anymore.

Gotta be absolutely honest... in recent years there have been some DCI shows... like Academy's Mary Poppins and Corpse Bride shows, BD's "Metamorph" program, among others... that, to me, would have fit quite well in the DCA of the years you have mentioned.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, KeithHall said:

1990 DCA was brought up earlier......

Wow! 1st through 7th were 4.7 apart!  Empire was .1 behind Bush! 5th place was only 2.9 from the top. Incredible year!

yeah the corps with the highest score in the circuit the week before ended up 4th. not too bitter anymore

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

I hear that.

Honestly, from my admittedly limited vantage point that night... IMO it was a basically a tossup as to who won, and that's how the scores ended up.  Bush carried the night. The booing, and the other stuff... very low rent, and absolutely unnecessary.

and while quite unhappy with the results, we got our equipment, marched down the hill to our busses and played in the park, then went to the hotel. Hell we were 4th nd fans yelled #### at us as we left

6 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Seen videos of all-age corps including those you mentioned. Didn’t find it as entertaining as advertised and I won’t be attending or streaming. 

so if it's so beneath you, why do you come in here then?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Does this REALLY make sense? Numbers are why there is a spread and placement!

So numbers ARE relevant! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KeithHall said:

Does this REALLY make sense? Numbers are why there is a spread and placement!

So numbers ARE relevant! 

If the winning corps scores a 100 or a 50 doesn’t change the end result, and if the spread to second place is two points, still doesn’t change the end results. As long as the placements are correct and the spreads relative, that’s all that matters. 10th is still 10th no matter what the score. 

Edited by Poppycock