GetOFFmyDot

Will DCA be around in 5 years?

Will DCA be around in 5 years?  

68 members have voted

  1. 1. Will DCA be around in 5 years?

    • Yes
      25
    • No
      43


Recommended Posts

Oh my! A lot of confusion and misunderstandings about current rules and number of member corps. Is any of this information available to be verified by the public? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

So if the ten highest scoring corps in Prelims control DCA, and the administration ultimately reports to them, as you indicate...

And eight corps were trying to leave DCA last January, as Terri has been told...

And there were 19 corps in DCA Prelims in 2018...

But one of those corps (Cadence) was from England and another (C2) announced last fall that they were shutting down...

And the eight renegade corps weren't the corps that control DCA, as Terri believes to be the case...

 

Then the ten corps in charge of DCA were: Buccaneers, CV, Fusion, Sabers, Cabs, Bush, CT, Hurcs, Gold, and Govies.

And that leaves only seven corps who could have been trying to break away: Sunrisers, Skyliners, Chops, Knights, Thunderbirds, Regiment, and Saints.

And three of those corps are inactive this year.

Like I said, it's false to believe 8 corps wanted to break away from DCA, the math doesn't work. Though I have been out from DCA meetings for a year and a half, I know and speak to MANY corps directors and DCA administrators on a very regular basis, The statement that corps were threatening to join DCI over DCA is false. I was a director for over 27 years and an executive director for 3 years, I have 6 titles , 5 as director and 1 undefeated season and I'm going in the WDCHF in two weeks, I would have heard of any talk of a mass exodus if there was one.

J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

So if the ten highest scoring corps in Prelims control DCA, and the administration ultimately reports to them, as you indicate...

And eight corps were trying to leave DCA last January, as Terri has been told...

And there were 19 corps in DCA Prelims in 2018...

But one of those corps (Cadence) was from England and another (C2) announced last fall that they were shutting down...

And the eight renegade corps weren't the corps that control DCA, as Terri believes to be the case...

 

Then the ten corps in charge of DCA were: Buccaneers, CV, Fusion, Sabers, Cabs, Bush, CT, Hurcs, Gold, and Govies.

And that leaves only seven corps who could have been trying to break away: Sunrisers, Skyliners, Chops, Knights, Thunderbirds, Regiment, and Saints.

And three of those corps are inactive this year.

Completely wrong on the eight.  

I was confused by who is in control.  I thought that you were referring to the admin.  Not the member corps.  

Every one of the eight is from outside of the NE except one.  Three of the eight are not competing in DCA this year. One corps has not competed in DCA for two seasons. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Losing Empire Statesmen, Rochester Crusaders, Syracuse Brigadiers, Westshoremen, Kingston Grenadiers, Heatwave, Alliance, Kilties(?),  Renegades. Can we go further back to Matadors, Yankee rebels, Les Dynamiques, Chieftans, Generations, Steel City Ambassadors, Bayou City Blues, Night Storm, etc.

 

Its a lot of corps to lose since 1990. Is there a miracle? I don't think so

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KeithHall said:

Losing Empire Statesmen, Rochester Crusaders, Syracuse Brigadiers, Westshoremen, Kingston Grenadiers, Heatwave, Alliance, Kilties(?),  Renegades. Can we go further back to Matadors, Yankee rebels, Les Dynamiques, Chieftans, Generations, Steel City Ambassadors, Bayou City Blues, Night Storm, etc.

 

Its a lot of corps to lose since 1990. Is there a miracle? I don't think so

I don’t why I’m commenting on this except that my BS meter went to the red zone.  I gave my tickets away and exchanged my plane tickets.  Chances are I’ll never attend again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Much of the frustation  for out of the NorthEast Corps is the other corps and not so much DCA admin. It is very difficult to get a Northeastern Corps to travel out of that area for a show. Why pay 10k to bus your corps to Minn and lose a whole weekend of practice while riding the bus, when you can do a local show at very little cost.  The same idea applies to Finals. If you can save 20k by having finals near your home you can save your members dues money and help your corps finances. The corps bank account that year takes precidence on the location vote.   Having it near saves money for the corps but does not expand exposure for DCA.  moving finals out of the region could expand exposure for DCA and help out of market corps, but the NorthEast Corps might have to add $200 to their dues, and many members would rather save $200 than expand DCA's presence and exposure. The Corps vote and the majority of corps is still in the NorthEast, I think they vote looking out for their members, but it makes if more expensive and difficult for corps out of the NorthEast.  The added travel time for distant Corpd makes the Labot day thing an even bigger issue since marcher need to miss an extra day of school or work to travel.   I think a lot of folks in the NE don't realize the added costs in money and time that out of region corps face

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, HBD said:

The member corps are the "board" of DCA, the executive committee works for the DCA board, the DCA is under control of the corps.

The member corps are the 10 highest scoring corps in PRELIMS regardless of what class they are in. 

I was a DCA director for over 27 years, I helped write most of these rules.

And if one of the top 10 corps goes inactive then there are 9 member corps on the board I take it?  Had same thing in 1977 when Rochester Phoenix went inactive. Number 11 corps at DCA year before did not become a member corps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, HBD said:

I would have heard of any talk of a mass exodus if there was one.

J

Perhaps there was a good reason why you weren’t on the list to receive the memo 📝! Just saying😉

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

So if the ten highest scoring corps in Prelims control DCA, and the administration ultimately reports to them, as you indicate...

And eight corps were trying to leave DCA last January, as Terri has been told...

And there were 19 corps in DCA Prelims in 2018...

But one of those corps (Cadence) was from England and another (C2) announced last fall that they were shutting down...

And the eight renegade corps weren't the corps that control DCA, as Terri believes to be the case...

 

Then the ten corps in charge of DCA were: Buccaneers, CV, Fusion, Sabers, Cabs, Bush, CT, Hurcs, Gold, and Govies.

And that leaves only seven corps who could have been trying to break away: Sunrisers, Skyliners, Chops, Knights, Thunderbirds, Regiment, and Saints.

And three of those corps are inactive this year.

Star of Indiana was at the top of their game, full DCI member when they left DCI,   Just because you are a top dog does not mean you are 100% behind the organization

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, totaleefree said:

Star of Indiana was at the top of their game, full DCI member when they left DCI,   Just because you are a top dog does not mean you are 100% behind the organization

Right, but I was operating under my mistaken impression that there was no overlap between the eight and the ten.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.