Will DCA be around in 5 years?

Will DCA be around in 5 years?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Will DCA be around in 5 years?

• Yes
    • No

On 11/5/2019 at 5:29 PM, hairbear said:

Ohio Brass Factory, Alliance Ohio. 1980 to 1983:  Four years in a row, sitting in the stands eating hotdogs and watching DCA finals instead of competing. Four years in a row just south of 12th place. How do you convince your corps members that this is a good way to spend a weekend?  The corps closed its doors after a 13th place finish in the 83 season.  A corps that was very well funded and managed. A corps that was loaded with talented folks. A corps that might have opened the Midwest up to DCA competition, years ago.  DCA was a hard nut to crack, in those days. Anyone from OBF that wanted to compete in DCA, went east. Yes, I was one of them.

Right there with you Hairbear. Watch many a year sitting on the sidelines... Hard to convince membership just one more year and you were in when the handwriting is on the wall when you see a product on the field that you KNOW is no where the quality that you put out a good percentage of the members of your corps can see that too.  But it is what it is. 

On 11/5/2019 at 4:00 PM, hairbear said:

Why would a corps from New Jersey spend a truckload of money to travel to say.... Ohio or Georgia, to compete in a regular season contest? Why would they do this when traditionally, they've been able to have a full summer contest season and a championship finals right in their back yard? Is there a reason to spend that money? what are the benefits? If I was a corps director of an east coast DCA corps, those are the questions I'd be asking. Carpool 45 miles up or down I-95 to a contest, or charter two busses and go to Georgia for a contest that's held on a Sunday? I'm going to go out on a limb and say that they'd be going to the contest that's only 45 miles away.

Pretty much what Fran Alluded to. Without some travel from some of the top corps outside the NE there was no growth in the activity. Its a proven fact now. The activity is dying. The activity had its chance and they blew it. So many chances to grow the activity to other regions and have it flourishing with new corps and new markets...instead..this is what you have. 

1 hour ago, camel lips said:

Pretty much what Fran Alluded to. Without some travel from some of the top corps outside the NE there was no growth in the activity. Its a proven fact now. The activity is dying. The activity had its chance and they blew it. So many chances to grow the activity to other regions and have it flourishing with new corps and new markets...instead..this is what you have. 

Flourishing? In what way?  Chicago 1988 and 1989: there were more people at a soccer game next to where the DCA sanctioned senior drum corps show was being held. Dayton 1989: More people in the corps on the field, than fans in the stands. I don't think that's flourishing. I don't think that even showed a potential to "flourish". I think those shows were failures, in terms of exposure and revenue.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, camel lips said:

there were tons of chances besides traveling to other regions blown. that alone is not the sole cause for DCA being in the shape it's in, so please don't say that it is.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, hairbear said:

Flourishing? In what way?  Chicago 1988 and 1989: there were more people at a soccer game next to where the DCA sanctioned senior drum corps show was being held. Dayton 1989: More people in the corps on the field, than fans in the stands. I don't think that's flourishing. I don't think that even showed a potential to "flourish". I think those shows were failures, in terms of exposure and revenue.

there was no internet then, but i am pretty sure the marketing was about as good as what DCA has today. 

which really isn't saying much.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

there were tons of chances besides traveling to other regions blown. that alone is not the sole cause for DCA being in the shape it's in, so please don't say that it is.

Absolutely not the only cause. One reason, sure. But there's a list of them.  LOL 

I think Frank Dorritie might be onto something. Perhaps there will be a reorganization, a "starting over" if you will. Like the seven charter-member corps did when DCA was formed in the early 1960s. Much different circumstances now, of course.  Who knows.

None of us can reliably predict the future, right? If we could, then what the heck are we doing posting here on DCP... we should be buying lottery tickets and stock options, and betting on the winning horse in every race. :tongue:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ironlips said:

" betting on the winning horse in every race. "

Fran,

Who've you got in the 7th at Aqueduct?

The No. 3 horse. Runs well in the cold. :tongue:

Being a fellow NYC metro area guy, do you remember Fred Capossela, the great track announcer at Aqueduct and Belmont? 

A style all his own. "It is now post time..."

Edited by Fran Haring

2 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

The No. 3 horse. Runs well in the cold. :tongue:

Being a fellow NYC metro area guy, do you remember Fred Capossela, the great track announcer at Aqueduct and Belmont? 

A style all his own. "It is now post time..."

always pick #4 in the 4th. Westshore drummers will smile

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

always pick #4 in the 4th. Westshore drummers will smile

"Welcome to the 1990 Stakes...."   LOL

• Haha 1