DCA Weekend one week earlier??

With corps getting younger and school year starting earlier.....  what are pros and cons of having DCA Weekend one week earlier...

• Like 1

It's been said here that one key reason for scheduling on Labor Day weekend was to give the members, who have performed late Sunday, travel time for the return trip without missing work or school.

Just stopping by...  long time no reply. 

Labor day is fine if you're a 25+ year old that has that weekend off.  If only those in that age bracket wanted to perform in DCA.  (or more ageouts lived in the northeast)

It is not if you are a student in that has a football game that weekend.  Of which 50% of colleges do, and now high schools (at least in the northeast) do as well. 

• Like 2

Supposing this change happened, would it be better to have Prelims-Finals on Friday-Saturday or on Saturday-Sunday?

The reason for having it on two days, I have read here before, was in case there was a day of inclement weather. That way either all Prelims corps can be advanced to Finals if Prelims are cancelled, or the Prelims scores can stand if Finals are cancelled.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

The reason for having it on two days, I have read here before, was in case there was a day of inclement weather. That way either all Prelims corps can be advanced to Finals if Prelims are cancelled, or the Prelims scores can stand if Finals are cancelled.

And that Prelims starting at 8am and Finals after supper was a killer. Especially for any bubble corps. They usually left the better performance on the Prelims field and tired doing Finals with little break time.

1975 Rochester Phoenix was last Corps on at Prelims... dropped a position at Finals

1976 Westshoremen had less than an hour between Prelims and standstill recording (11th/12th place did not do exh). Recording... just.... flat...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

30 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Supposing this change happened, would it be better to have Prelims-Finals on Friday-Saturday or on Saturday-Sunday?

most, if not all, of the corps take friday for a full rehearsal day as it is.   It would mean that the 25+ year olds now have to take 2 days off, if they want to drive home on monday. 

Schedule would likely then become:

arrive friday for rehearsal. 
Saturday prelims/Mini-Corps/I&E (late night)

Sunday Alumni Corps/Finals.

Sunday night drive home. Or monday drive home. whatever the individual wants to do. 

Of course, this would likely kill one of the I&E/Alumni/Mini Corps events to allow some breathing room for getting between stadium and event space as well as corps simply not allowing members to do I&E due to needed rehearsal time.   

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

And that Prelims starting at 8am and Finals after supper was a killer. Especially for any bubble corps. They usually left the better performance on the Prelims field and tired doing Finals with little break time.

I hear that, Jim.

The years I marched or announced during DCA's "two shows in one day" format, i can't recall a corps that did two great performances in one day. It was very tough to do. 

2 hours ago, C.Holland said:

most, if not all, of the corps take friday for a full rehearsal day as it is.   It would mean that the 25+ year olds now have to take 2 days off, if they want to drive home on monday. 

Schedule would likely then become:

arrive friday for rehearsal. 
Saturday prelims/Mini-Corps/I&E (late night)

Sunday Alumni Corps/Finals.

Sunday night drive home. Or monday drive home. whatever the individual wants to do. 

Of course, this would likely kill one of the I&E/Alumni/Mini Corps events to allow some breathing room for getting between stadium and event space as well as corps simply not allowing members to do I&E due to needed rehearsal time.   

I&E/mini-corps was held on Saturday evening through 2003, then it moved to Friday night.

I actually liked it better on Saturday night. It just seemed a bit more relaxed, since prelims were over and, among other things, the pressure was off for a number of people.