DCA Weekend one week earlier??

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

I hear that, Jim.

The years I marched or announced during DCA's "two shows in one day" format, i can't recall a corps that did two great performances in one day. It was very tough to do. 

When in Allentown my sister and I would drive to Prelims and come home between end of Prelims and Finals. Think every year DCA tried different order for prelims groups and someone usually griped as they were on too early or too close to Finals. Groups were based on previous placing and was full members (top ten), associate members (11-14) and non members (15 and below). Problem was when an associate or non member had a shot at Finals and also full members didn’t want to go on first or at end of prelims

On 8/20/2019 at 7:15 PM, Fran Haring said:

I&E/mini-corps was held on Saturday evening through 2003, then it moved to Friday night.

I actually liked it better on Saturday night. It just seemed a bit more relaxed, since prelims were over and, among other things, the pressure was off for a number of people. 

you could then have rehearsal friday, prelims sat morning.  (14 corps x 15 minutes + 30 minute INT = 4 hours)
I&E sat afternoon, Mini Corps Sat Night. 
Alumni spectacular Sunday Mid-Day. finals Sunday Evening.  Leave sunday night/monday morning.  

now this schedule is NOT helpful to anyone outside of a few hours drive.  So sorry midwest, south/anyone not from NJ/PA/NY.

21 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

you could then have rehearsal friday, prelims sat morning.  (14 corps x 15 minutes + 30 minute INT = 4 hours)
I&E sat afternoon, Mini Corps Sat Night. 
Alumni spectacular Sunday Mid-Day. finals Sunday Evening.  Leave sunday night/monday morning.  

now this schedule is NOT helpful to anyone outside of a few hours drive.  So sorry midwest, south/anyone not from NJ/PA/NY.

Good stuff here.... but good luck trying to get the corps to move back to a morning/afternoon prelims.  LOL.  I&E was moved to Friday in 2004 to accommodate the later Saturday start time for prelims. The big guns like being on under the lights, or at least after the sun stops beating down.  :tongue:

Sadly, I'm  not sure any weekend without a holiday day tacked on.... like Labor Day weekend... is ideal, travel-wise, for any corps or fans outside of the "reasonable drive" radius of a championship venue.

But on the other hand... if moving the championship off Labor Day weekend means more corps would be involved... than IMO it pretty much has to be done.

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

Good stuff here.... but good luck trying to get the corps to move back to a morning/afternoon prelims.  LOL.  I&E was moved to Friday in 2004 to accommodate the later Saturday start time for prelims. The big guns like being on under the lights, or at least after the sun stops beating down.  :tongue:

Sadly, I'm  not sure any weekend without a holiday day tacked on.... like Labor Day weekend... is ideal, travel-wise, for any corps or fans outside of the "reasonable drive" radius of a championship venue.

But on the other hand... if moving the championship off Labor Day weekend means more corps would be involved... than IMO it pretty much has to be done.

there's no perfect equation. 

Right now people aren't showing up like the circuit needs.  How do you sell an activity  or event that's inconvenient? 

The circuit isn't attracting the age of membership that utilizes labor weekend as originally intended.  The flagship event timing limits the membership that the activity is attracting.  Moving the weekend causes increased regional bias due to travel time and money required to attend.

What then, becomes the solution? Do you place restrictions on design and time commitment to make the circuit more attractive to the original intended membership?  Do you reschedule the flagship event to a non-holiday weekend, and hope not to lose the groups outside of a reasonable drive?   Do you relocate the flagship event to a central location to put equal time/money burden onto all groups?  

3 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

I realize I&E has a historical perspective to it....but.....half the corps don't have people participating. What revenue is generated from it outside of any paperwork/registration fees? And the alumni show continues to break even at best....right there could free up a lot of time.

2 hours ago, C.Holland said:

What then, becomes the solution? Do you place restrictions on design and time commitment to make the circuit more attractive to the original intended membership?  Do you reschedule the flagship event to a non-holiday weekend, and hope not to lose the groups outside of a reasonable drive?   Do you relocate the flagship event to a central location to put equal time/money burden onto all groups?  

Or do like me and stay home to watch college football. :laughing:

16 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

I realize I&E has a historical perspective to it....but.....half the corps don't have people participating. What revenue is generated from it outside of any paperwork/registration fees? And the alumni show continues to break even at best....right there could free up a lot of time.

i think you could combine the alumni show and the mini corps into one.  Add a beer garden and some food trucks and it might even make money. 

57 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

i think you could combine the alumni show and the mini corps into one.  Add a beer garden and some food trucks and it might even make money. 

if you're going to keep using school facilities, beer gardens will be an issue.

14 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

if you're going to keep using school facilities, beer gardens will be an issue.

was not aware mini corps was at the school.  yeah, that puts a damper on things. 

2 hours ago, C.Holland said:

Good idea, but only if the logistics could be worked out, as per Jeff's post above.

To me, the "value" of DCA's I&E event has been.... it's fun for the fans and performers. And it's been a chance for fans to have up-close interaction with the performers in a relaxed atmosphere.

That "fun factor" and the "up close with the personalities" thing (not only at I&E, but at competitions)  was a hallmark of DCA for decades, something that helped make it unique from DCI.... since, let's face it, the DCI on-field product is of course at a higher level, just the nature of the beast. No secret there. Apples and oranges, to a degree.

Perhaps not as much fun... however that is defined... on the DCA side anymore? Am I off base here? Or am I opening up a can of worms for another thread? :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring