Which is your favorite 12th place show of the decade?

Which is your favorite 12th place show of the decade?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite 12th place DCI show of the 2010s?

• Above and Beyond (Crossmen 2015)
    • Alma Gitana (Crossmen 2014)
    • ATL Confidential (Spirit of Atlanta 2011)
    • Fragile (Crossmen 2012)
    • I Am Joan (Phantom Regiment 2019)
    • The In-Between (Crossmen 2018)
    • The Last Man Standing (Madison Scouts 2017)
    • The Prayer Cycle (Glassmen 2010)
    • Quixotic (Boston Crusaders 2016)
    • Voodoo (Blue Stars 2013)

Very interesting that "I Am Joan", which no one has identified in the comments as their favorite, is the one leading in the votes right now. Maybe someone could share what led them to pick that show? (It is the highest-scoring 12th place performance ever.)

• Like 1

On 8/18/2019 at 10:50 PM, Cadevilina Crown said:

All solid shows, but I chose Crossmen 2012 because it marked the start of their series of Finals appearances this decade while also being just a great show from start to finish.

That "Earth Song" opener was top notch.

• Like 2

I enjoy a fair number of these, but I have to go with Xmen's "The In Between" from last year. It's probably in my top 10 listened to shows of 2018 --- just a fantastic music book. Excellent, top notch treatment of Tchaikovsky, unique pacing decisions throughout the show that make it sound fresh, that glorious build after Sweetness Follows, the huge low brass at the end of Tchaik 6, the distinctive umbrella/sisters of perpetual indulgence look for the opening segment that was actually pretty innovative. I think this music book is aging quite well and is proving to be more solid than many who finished around them in 2018, now looking at it a year removed.

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

That "Earth Song" opener was top notch.

It was the second year in a row that a drum corps played that Michael Jackson song, but for some reason Drum Corps Xperience doesn't list the first one.

Does anyone know which corps played it in 2011?

On 8/18/2019 at 10:52 PM, westcoastblue said:

ATL CONFIDENTIAL. Not close on this one. 

That show is narrowly holding on to second place in this poll.

How would you rank Spirit's three finalist shows this decade, "ATL Confidential", "Sin City", and "Speakeasy"?

5 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

How would you rank Spirit's three finalist shows this decade, "ATL Confidential", "Sin City", and "Speakeasy"?

All #1

35 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I would go with “Speakeasy.”

• Like 1

18 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Very interesting that "I Am Joan", which no one has identified in the comments as their favorite, is the one leading in the votes right now. Maybe someone could share what led them to pick that show? (It is the highest-scoring 12th place performance ever.)

I always tried to keep a totally open mind when watching PR this year. The show theme, the concept, the meanings...blah. Didn't care to get it nor did I try. From a pure is this corps entertaining me with their music, I got on board. I'm hardly an expert on design, drill and guard, but musically to me, PR seemed more like the PR I know and have loved for years,  despite their placement. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I voted for 2012 Crossmen. The screamers at the end of the first part of that show still play in my head!

• Like 1

On 8/18/2019 at 11:08 PM, Jeff Ream said:

Bones 18

It seems like a darker or more obscure show than you might be expected to like. Am I wrong about that?