Which is your favorite 11th place show of the decade?

Which is your favorite 11th place show of the decade?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. What’s your favorite 11th place DCI show of the 2010s?

• Drum Corpse Bride (The Academy 2016)
    • Enigma (Crossmen 2017)
    • Europa (Blue Knights 2010)
    • ReBourne (Blue Stars 2011)
    • Sideshow (Blue Stars 2015)
    • Sin City (Spirit of Atlanta 2012)
    • Speakeasy (Spirit of Atlanta 2013)
    • This New World (Phantom Regiment 2018)
    • Time Trip (Madison Scouts 2014)
    • Valkyrie (Crossmen 2019)

46 minutes ago, SNModdison said:

Academy 2016 is one of my favorite shows, period! 

Agreed! I revisit it with frequency. It truly does check all of the boxes for any drum corps fan --- a vague storyline that was insanely clear without being heavy-handed (and unique at the same time....how many other "death comes for the bride and then eventually the groom and they're reunited happily in the afterlife" shows have we seen? I would imagine the number would be close to zero), full hummable melodies and the use of well-known repertoire, the bizarre choice of ending with the ballad that proved to be one of the best choices they could have made, the xylobones, the beautifully written (and performed!) flugelhorn solo in Unchained Melody...ah. Seriously. I could wax poetic about that show all day long. Impeccable design choices for every detail, large & small.

What I also love is that they were comfortably in Finals after Prelims & Semis; Boston was of course the corps that memorably knocked Madison out, meaning that the show is one of the few isolated Finalist events that isn't really viewed as knocking someone else out, so there's really no bad blood towards this show from anyone --- fans or members who competed against it.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

So I'm curious to know people's second choices: if "Drum Corpse Bride" didn't exist, what would you have picked?

25 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

Valkyrie.

2 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Exactly my second choice.

6 hours ago, ThePlanets said:

I picked Sin City. Absolutely loved that show.

It was interesting that over in DCA, the Empire Statesmen show that year was titled "A City Called Sin", a theme which surely must have been chosen independently of what Spirit was doing -- but Statesmen made arrangements to buy some of Spirit's poker chip props.

• Like 1

So far every show in the 12th place poll has received at least two votes, but there are three shows in this 11th place poll that have yet to receive any.

11 hours ago, Jake W. said:

Agreed! I revisit it with frequency. It truly does check all of the boxes for any drum corps fan --- a vague storyline that was insanely clear without being heavy-handed (and unique at the same time....how many other "death comes for the bride and then eventually the groom and they're reunited happily in the afterlife" shows have we seen? I would imagine the number would be close to zero), full hummable melodies and the use of well-known repertoire, the bizarre choice of ending with the ballad that proved to be one of the best choices they could have made, the xylobones, the beautifully written (and performed!) flugelhorn solo in Unchained Melody...ah. Seriously. I could wax poetic about that show all day long. Impeccable design choices for every detail, large & small.

What I also love is that they were comfortably in Finals after Prelims & Semis; Boston was of course the corps that memorably knocked Madison out, meaning that the show is one of the few isolated Finalist events that isn't really viewed as knocking someone else out, so there's really no bad blood towards this show from anyone --- fans or members who competed against it.

Agree with every point.  I actually get misty-eyed at the last backfield sequence before the final rush to the last set because it is SO perfectly done...a true thing of beauty.

I was happier Drum Corpse Bride made finals than I would have been had BD gotten that elusive three-peat

Like most others, Academy wins this hands down. One of my favorite shows of the decade...period. I'd give my second and third picks to Crossmen from this year (2019) and Blue Knights' Europa show in 2010.

I see that one person has picked Scouts' "Time Trip". There was a once-regular poster here who was really disappointed that season at how Scouts watered down that show over the course of the season, cutting out some of the most interesting (and challenging) musical parts. And the visual concept never really worked.

But the ending is superb.

The academy by a landslide. No other show came close to audience friendly + quality design 

Lurker temporarily arisen!  My Drum Corpse Bride story.  I am from AZ and a long time supporter of our home Corps.  I got my 2016 show announcement and said to myself what the "H" , Drum Corpse Bride?????  Then I saw "Unchained Melody".  I went to you tube and pulled up the orchestral version ah yes a Flugel Horn solo lead and said to myself if they "the Academy" get this half right they have a standard and a winner.  Thanks to all those who voted for this show and gave the Academy some play this year.  BTW sprang for the Academy's dinner this year I believe at Allentown liked their version of BOTW.    

• Like 1

On 8/20/2019 at 12:37 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

So I'm curious to know people's second choices: if "Drum Corpse Bride" didn't exist, what would you have picked?

I liked Sideshow

Edited by ykw