Best and/or hardest place to perform

15 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Cooper Stadium in Columbus ... Ugh!

I remember those days. They would hold the U.S. Open prelims in Marion, OH and then move the finals to Columbus at Cooper Stadium, which was where the N.Y. Yankees used to play Triple A ball. The U.S. Open used to be a big show, but was always held at a small stadium in Marion, OH. They used to run prelims and finals in Marion up to around 1984 I think, when they moved Finals  to Columbus. Columbus offered more seating but the field was bad for the corps. 

I'm sure Massillon's Paul Brown Tiger Stadium in Ohio was one of the better places to perform. The sound is stunning in that stadium, and the crowds were always amazing. For the fans, this stadium may have one of the best sounds anywhere. The only issue is that you get packed in like sardines if the show is sold out, and there are only 2 restrooms and 1 concession stand on the concert side. This is why they moved the Pro Football Hall of Fame show to Akron this year. However, you can still catch the early June show in Massillon and get that legendary sound. I would imagine it is one of the best places to perform for the corps as well. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 1

I loved competing in Allentown.  Not so much at DCI Canada with the 55 yard line.  And the baseball stadiums - Pittsfield, MA and Waterbury, CT, not so much fun either.

6 minutes ago, CHRISP said:

I loved competing in Allentown.  Not so much at DCI Canada with the 55 yard line.  And the baseball stadiums - Pittsfield, MA and Waterbury, CT, not so much fun either.

Waconah Park, the baseball field in Pittsfield was especially unforgiving to drum corps. BITD the lot could barely accommodate the buses let alone all the 18 wheelers corps truck around today. However, most of the housing for that show was in the picturesque Lenox area and surrounding small towns. Great hospitality, stores, and of course Tanglewood where corps have been featured before this summer. Here's hoping Mike Martin is able to re-start that wonderful evening at Tanglewood. A few great hornlines have yet to be heard, right Cavies?

Waterbury, Ct would not be fun for corps anymore with I-84 under perpetual construction and "The MixMaster" a danger even without 5 buses, 4 18 wheelers, and multiple prop trucks.

6 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Waconah Park, the baseball field in Pittsfield was especially unforgiving to drum corps. BITD the lot could barely accommodate the buses let alone all the 18 wheelers corps truck around today. However, most of the housing for that show was in the picturesque Lenox area and surrounding small towns. Great hospitality, stores, and of course Tanglewood where corps have been featured before this summer. Here's hoping Mike Martin is able to re-start that wonderful evening at Tanglewood. A few great hornlines have yet to be heard, right Cavies?

Waterbury, Ct would not be fun for corps anymore with I-84 under perpetual construction and "The MixMaster" a danger even without 5 buses, 4 18 wheelers, and multiple prop trucks.

I wasn’t in Ithaca in 1974 for championships but I’ve been there.  It looks like it had to be a parking nightmare.  Even with just busses and smaller equipment vehicles. 

Allentown...hard. crowd wants good, even if weird.  if weird and not good....crickets

• Like 1

Marion, OH...maybe 1973 or 1974 and "A" Class prelims were at another school which (if I remember correctly) had terrible grass and out in Farm-land. I was always happy to march in North Tonawanda at the high school stadium (NT Open). Great crown and the grass was well maintained.

Ithaca....interesting stadium and a huge hill to get buses up!