Best and/or hardest place to perform

i know this is a DCI thread but for some strange reason there was a disco out on the south shore that hired us -Sunrisers- to appear at their opening -Inside the Disco!   Oh wait the OP said stadiums!! Sorry ...well I'm going to tell my story anyway.  The manager told us not to play loud.  Well the Sunrisers being the Sunrisers who never paid attention to rules, suggestions, or for that matter orders proceeded to BLOW THE HOUSE DOWN!!!  Dust was settling in all the drinks of those yuppie come latelies and their faces were covered with a very fine soot.  Manager got ###### and then we went out to the parking lot and popped open our Foster's oil cans and had a helluva party.  My favorite venue

well on topic Roosevelt Stadium despite the dust and heat was the best and If I remember correctly we had a show in 68 on our way to Detroit that was actually a rodeo pen with a gazebo in the middle on the 50 with dirt instead of grass.  This was an actual competition!!  Could it get any worse?  Can't remember where that was...somewhere in Ohio..lol

Edited by Bucbari
  • Haha 1

On 8/22/2019 at 4:04 PM, E3D said:

Best - Camp Randall. 

Worst - Pittsfield Mass. 

Agree! I loved the championships in Madison. Pittsfield was definitely the worst but also have one of the best memories from there. It was the last show before going to Montreal in 1982.  We (Crossmen) went on and had a 3 tick field percussion performance. It was crazy. We were only to be outdone by Bayonne who threw down a 1 tick performance. We has such a blast going back and forth that year competing but that show in that crummy stadium (and I use the term loosely) had two of the great percussion performances of that era on that day. One for the ages.

• Like 1

What Terri and Jim said earlier.

The baseball parks. Angles here, there, and everywhere.

Giants Stadium at the NJ Meadowlands... I performed at the first drum corps show there, on a Sunday afternoon in 1978. It was broiling hot on that artificial surface. More like the surface of the sun.  LOL.

That same stadium over the years... an echo chamber. If we didn't get our horn angles up above the wall, the sound would bounce right back at us. And the video boards above either endzone...they could be distracting, you really had to keep from looking at them if your drill had you going in that direction. 1) They were about one or two seconds off from "real time"... you'd move, and see the move a second or two later.... and 2) they were the reverse image of what was actually going on. You turned left on the field... on the video board you turned right. :laughing:

The best... several.  Allentown was one... mostly because we (DCA's Sunrisers) owned the place back then. LOL.  I marched six shows there... DCA prelims and finals 1977-78 and '82... and we won all of them.

Edited by Fran Haring

49 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

The baseball parks. Angles here, there, and everywhere. 

64 VFW was held at the old Cleveland Municipal Stadium.   https://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/ballparks/cleveland-municipal-stadium/

I believe the corps entered from the right field corner with a long walk to the ready line.  With over 70,000 seats,  the good size crowd on the first base side didn't prevent some echos.

Just now, Ghost said:

64 VFW was held at the old Cleveland Municipal Stadium.   https://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/ballparks/cleveland-municipal-stadium/

I believe the corps entered from the right field corner with a long walk to the ready line.  With over 70,000 seats,  the good size crowd on the first base side didn't prevent some echos.

Wow... I can only imagine. That place was cavernous.

I will still always associate that stadium with the disastrous "10-Cent Beer Night" promotion at an Indians game, circa 1974. 

An idea to bring in more fans, gone horribly wrong. :tongue:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Cent_Beer_Night

• Haha 1

On 8/26/2019 at 6:34 PM, Fran Haring said:

Wow... I can only imagine. That place was cavernous.

I will still always associate that stadium with the disastrous "10-Cent Beer Night" promotion at an Indians game, circa 1974. 

An idea to bring in more fans, gone horribly wrong. :tongue:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Cent_Beer_Night

Fran the idiotic part of the 10-Cent Beer Night is that they did it a 2nd time a couple of weeks later!!!  Honorable mention goes to Comiskey Park in Chi.  The infamouse "I hate disco" night....lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Best: Hands down Camp Randall Stadium. When I marched we were lucky enough to have our home show there, as well as rehearsals, and I aged out there.

Hardest: Sevierville High School in Tennessee. They've got turf and the field is now flat, but in the late 90's the hill between the hash marks was so high that it was difficult to see back sideline to front.