Which is your favorite 10th place show of the decade?

Which is your favorite 10th place show of the decade?  

114 members have voted

1. 1. What’s your favorite 10th place DCI show of the 2010s?

• [no title] (Madison Scouts 2010)
    • Animal Farm (Boston Crusaders 2014)
    • Avian (Blue Knights 2012)
    • Conquest (Boston Crusaders 2015)
    • Continuum (Crossmen 2016)
    • Life Rite After (Mandarins 2018)
    • New York Morning (Madison Scouts 2011)
    • NoBeginningNoEnd (Blue Knights 2013)
    • Star Crossed (Blue Stars 2017)
    • Subterra (Mandarins 2019)

7 hours ago, kkrepps said:

Animal Farm.

I haven't voted in any of the polls yet, but I would likely be choosing between that one (which I think is one of the most difficult--and thus dirty--shows ever fielded) and Scouts '11.

19 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Read somewhere yesterday, in light of the news about the rights to Spider-Man being transferred from one movie company to another, that if the copyright laws that existed in the 1970s, i.e., when DCI was founded, hadn't been expanded a couple times, that a lot of classic superheroes like Batman and Superman would now be in the public domain, available for anyone to adapt free of charge. True of a lot of great music too! Though obviously not "Empire State of Mind".

Funny statement today from musician Carl Newman:

"My first quarter 2019 royalties from Pandora were $0.23. You have to laugh. Why keep up this charade of ‘paying royalties’? That ship has sailed."

I almost picked Madison’s Bew York Morning, as that show makes me wonder why I always get dust in my eyes when I hear it. Good stuff.

However it’s got to be 2012 Blue Knights. That Avian show was a bit strange to me at first, but grew and grew on me. Now it’s probably my favorite BK show ever. And you really can’t go wrong with Firebird...in space!

I'd be curious to hear from people about why they prefer "Life Rite After" to "Subterra" -- especially given that the judges gave the latter a score that broke a 31-year-old record.

31 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I'd be curious to hear from people about why they prefer "Life Rite After" to "Subterra" -- especially given that the judges gave the latter a score that broke a 31-year-old record.

I just connected with “Life Rite After” a little more thematically.   I thought the concept of what happens after “Rite of Spring” was so clever and they pulled it off really well with only using tiny snippets of the Stravinsky.  Musically there was also a little more that grabbed me as well, in particular the ballad and closer.  And it was also just super fun to see them make finals for the first time and then some, that doesn’t change my enjoyment of the show itself much like The Academy in 2016, but it was just more reason for me to root for them   

I also really enjoyed “SubTerra”, it was a step up in pretty much every performance caption outside of percussion and was a noticeable step up in difficulty across the board.  Their visual performance in particular really stood out to me, especially up close in San Antonio.  Total buy in to their product and sold incredibly well.  I got the intruder to the secret society plot line and they executed it pretty well, just wasn’t quite as imaginative as the previous years offering.  No less well done though.  I hope they keep doing what they’re doing.  

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Conquest has two votes. Do I recall rightly that it wasn't until Finals night that they got all the banner props to work correctly?

Edited by N.E. Brigand

• 2 weeks later...

I'm voting for "New York Morning", but this was tough, as I really like "Animal Farm", too.

(Honorable mention to Scouts 2010 and "Subterra".)

• Like 1