Here is a thought on broadcasting shows

5 hours ago, SuperSaderFan said:

The social media platform would pay for the rights to broadcast, they are looking for content. Just like the NFL games that were broadcast on Twitter. Plus advertising.

Come on. The drum corps activity is small potatoes. No one is going to stream or broadcast an activity that has seen the number of organizations in the activity shrink in the USA from 500 or so to 75. There just aren't enough people who are interested.

• Like 1

I mentioned this idea briefly in my FLO S*cks thread,

But a Service like Twitch and a High Speed Internet connection and a couple of good cameras and sound Equipment could do a better job than FLO is currently doing..

Twitch.tv for those wondering is the preferred Social Media Site/App used by Game Streamers... The premise being that Viewers watch really good Gamers playing their favorite Video Games, Live. And there is a Chat feature so everyone watching along communicates with each other..

Quality is on par with YT/ Netflix, as its owned and operated by Amazon. Overwatch the most popular Streamed game even runs their Proffessional Esports League streamed through Twitch and regularly have streams of 80- 100K Viewers with not one single feed issue..

Bonus, to all of the above is that Twitch pays its Streamers for its content. So the streamers once they become popular enough (averaging more than 500 viewers per stream) Twitch starts to monetize the stream, and give the streamer an option to run Ads on the stream that the Streamer is paid a cut of. The streamer can modify the frequency of the ads and the more ads that are run the more money the streamer makes.. 

Twitch offers the service, to sell ads to advertisers and that is how they make money. From ad sales. As a viewer I also have to option to give "Bits" to the streamer directly. "Bits" are a sort of Twitch currency that you earn by watching certain streams or by purchasing them using a Credit Card that is on file with Twitch.

I as a viewer also have an option to Subscribe to the Streamers channel which not only give the Streamer a direct cut of money, but also give me the viewer additional exclusive content, VOD Streams, special Chat emojis.. the Streamers have the option to set different tiers of subscription and the more they give the more content they receive.

The only problem that I can see with this service is the rights for the Music. Within the Twitch app itself you can create Clip of the stream that you can save to post or make comments about on your own twitch account, so the rights would have to expanded but if DCI goes this route they would save money from not having to pay someone to stream your content on the internet.... And I would imagine that if a partnership is struck that Twitch has a way to make DCI's Streams Protected.

And because Twitch is used to very high viewership numbers, even broadcasting NFL Games for Free online, their system should have Zero problems handling the DCI Season..

I really really hope that DCI is exploring its options with someone who is informed on the matter when its contract with FLO is up...

There really are so many more options available now than there where even 4 years ago..

Edited by Glenn426

Think small we stay small. The music education business in the US and globally is in the billions. Our groups are the best in this part of the performing arts. It needs to be sold in a wider lens. The same should be done for sponsorships. It can be done.

You guys are smoking crack if you think that any of these platforms are going to lift a finger for the potential market that a DCI broadcast would bring.

If you personally think that FLO sucks so bad (I personally had very little problems with it) and you think you can find an alternative that offers better quality at a lower price then it sound like you are a genius and I look forward to you financing and standing up this new solution.

Good luck and God speed.

Just for the record, I do not use drugs. Not only is Flo a terrible platform is it less than desirable financially for DCI.

7 minutes ago, SuperSaderFan said:

Just for the record, I do not use drugs. Not only is Flo a terrible platform is it less than desirable financially for DCI.

My guess is the technical issues some experienced with FLO would manifest themselves at a similar rate with another provider. If you want something that will run with ZERO issues (not that that is even possible) you are going to pay a massive premium for it. You guys are asking for Mercedes quality and Yugo prices. It doesn't work that way.

Again, if you people have all the answers I expect you to have your platform stood up and ready for the 2020 season here soon.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

My guess is the technical issues some experienced with FLO would manifest themselves at a similar rate with another provider. If you want something that will run with ZERO issues (not that that is even possible) you are going to pay a massive premium for it. You guys are asking for Mercedes quality and Yugo prices. It doesn't work that way.

Again, if you people have all the answers I expect you to have your platform stood up and ready for the 2020 season here soon.

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-twitch-4143337

There is a way if you don't limit yourself and expand your thinking..

Imagine that DCI could attract 40-50 K unique viewers to a Free platform. Twitch will monetize it by running ads. a New Audience gains exposure to this because twitch channels with large number of viewers are automatically shown on a special list on the home page. DCI could even bring in their own advertisers to Twitch which I'm sure Twitch would love.

That is why when it was mentioned that DCI is paying FLO to show their content it was a shock to me because a good streamer makes alot of money just from streaming.. And their content is just from streaming video games online..

https://www.tubefilter.com/2018/10/10/twitch-streamers-earn-per-month-breakdown-disguisedtoast/

If I was sitting on the board of DCI, and I was paying to stream shows, I would immediately fire my marketing and promotions team.

That is why I feel like Tresona and the Rights scare must have scared the Jesus out of DCI into thinking that a Multi year Flo Deal was a good thing for DCI.

If DCI doesnt do this, Then I cant imagine that the Corps might just not create their own Twithc channels and have someone stream every single show they have live on twitch and charge a fee from it.. I would imagine FLO might have a problem with it, but that is the competition that FLO Faces and for what it is providing, It is POOP.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

That is why when it was mentioned that DCI is paying FLO to show their content it was a shock to me because a good streamer makes alot of money just from streaming..  

DCI doesn't pay Flo. Flo pays DCI.

Flo charges for the service, they pay for the costs of crew, transmission and marketing, they're liable for protecting the materials as they're streamed and dealing with any copyright headaches that might arise, and DCI gets money for allowing them to do this

If, at the end of the contract, DCI feels like their track record with Flo would make them appealing to another platform, great, I'm sure the DCI member corps will push to have Dan A look for other options, but my guess is that Flo is still well under 30,000 paid subscribers for the drum corps portion of their season, which is not going to get too many people excited to jump on board.

Edited by Slingerland

17 hours ago, SuperSaderFan said:

The social media platform would pay for the rights to broadcast, they are looking for content. Just like the NFL games that were broadcast on Twitter. Plus advertising.

This would be great if it were possible, but I don't think DCI generates enough eyeballs for Twitter or FB, etc. to want to do business with a small activity. The NFL generates huge numbers of viewers, which brings in advertisers, who essentially give the NFL 12+ $billion to advertise during their games.