Here is a thought on broadcasting shows

1 hour ago, SuperSaderFan said:

Think small we stay small. The music education business in the US and globally is in the billions. Our groups are the best in this part of the performing arts. It needs to be sold in a wider lens. The same should be done for sponsorships. It can be done.

Think big go bankrupt. 

1 hour ago, SuperSaderFan said:

Just for the record, I do not use drugs. Not only is Flo a terrible platform is it less than desirable financially for DCI.

I agree with you that Flo is likely not a financially desirable for DCI. I preferred the old Fan Network that DCI setup, but I realize that it presented legal challenges that forced DCI to shut it down. DCI Live came next, but running a live stream for various shows is expensive and time consuming. It was easier for DCI to farm-out the work to a provider who had already made investments in the equipment, staff, and support to handle the business, like Flo. Sure, Flo is not perfect, but they have improved. 

It would be nice to have an alternative to Flo in which people could easily access their favorite DCI shows. I would love something where you can choose the shows you wish to watch (instead of monthly subscriptions). It would need to be something where the revenue was share with DCI and the corps, yet allowing the provider to make a profit too. 

Well, when looking at the tickets for the Big Live and Loud semi finals at my local theater, with reserved seating, there were only 6 seats taken. The market isn't there I could get more views doing an unboxing video of a popular video card. 

2 hours ago, Spatzzz said:

My guess is the technical issues some experienced with FLO would manifest themselves at a similar rate with another provider. If you want something that will run with ZERO issues (not that that is even possible) you are going to pay a massive premium for it. You guys are asking for Mercedes quality and Yugo prices. It doesn't work that way.

Again, if you people have all the answers I expect you to have your platform stood up and ready for the 2020 season here soon.

i watch a lot of free gaming events that have 100X the viewers and far more in the way of production values and logistics of anything dci will ever put out. 

these streams are free to viewers on streaming platforms that actually know what they're doing

they have the occasional glitch, but nothing like flo's utter and complete incompetence.

flo's product is dog doo and they are making a premium off of it.  good for them, i guess. i think it's probably the best dci fans will get in the foreseeable future. 

Edited by Lance
self-edited a swear word

1 hour ago, Slingerland said:

DCI doesn't pay Flo. Flo pays DCI.

Flo charges for the service, they pay for the costs of crew, transmission and marketing, they're liable for protecting the materials as they're streamed and dealing with any copyright headaches that might arise, and DCI gets money for allowing them to do this

If, at the end of the contract, DCI feels like their track record with Flo would make them appealing to another platform, great, I'm sure the DCI member corps will push to have Dan A look for other options, but my guess is that Flo is still well under 30,000 paid subscribers for the drum corps portion of their season, which is not going to get too many people excited to jump on board.

I initially thought this too but It was disputed that DCI is paying FLO.

If you have any source for the money exchanged that would be interesting.