Here is a thought on broadcasting shows

21 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

So Looking through it it does not specifically mention it but PART III Line 4B (Page 2, Described on Page 9) is described as " to promote the Drum Corps activity through the broadcast of live competitions and performances in movie theaters and streamed over the Internet"

A total revenue of $462,085.

Now this doesn't split up what was from FLO and what was from the Big Loud and Live theater events so you cant tell for sure but the Expense here is whats important. They spent $497,046 to display the theater events and I would assume pay for the music rights, or pay FLO... Still no evidence that proves which way the money is flowing. 

You could man your own crew of Interns with Good camera and sound equipment and one good Director and media (Sound/Visual) engineer to follow the corps around all summer (8 weeks) for $95,000. After the first year of using the equipment your cost would go down because your initial investment can carry over for a couple of years. so all your Cost would be is the salaries of the people producing the shows. Broadcast everything on Twitch for Free ( Meaning Twitch wont charge you to broadcast on their service.) And still have $400,000 left to pay for the Music rights. (Of which I would imagine does not cost that much). Then use Twitch and earn just as much if not more than the $959,131 that they are currently earning from Ticket and Subscriptions, Tiered Subscriptions, Ads, Donations, Sponsorships.. etc.., 

You can Tier the subscriptions so that you get what you pay for;

Free - One show a week with 4-5 corps in the middle of the week just to get the appetite up. Since its Free Viewership is close to 100,000 people for these events. (DCI gets major Ad                           Revenue dollars here.) 

Tier 1 $5 / Month - Access to TOC Level shows with a good chunk of the highly competitive corps and the Free Level Shows.

Tier 2 $20 / Month - Access to the Tier 1 content plus the Regionals.

Finals Package $60 - to Watch Semis and Finals - Standalone access.

Full Season Pass $120 to watch everything including finals.

You're doing a lot of hand waving and making up numbers here. You have no idea what the details of DCI's Flo deal are and I think you are vastly oversimplifying what it takes to live stream an event the size of a DCI show

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, dbc03 said:

You're doing a lot of hand waving and making up numbers here. You have no idea what the details of DCI's Flo deal are and I think you are vastly oversimplifying what it takes to live stream an event the size of a DCI show

DCI's 990 which I pulled the numbers from give you the bottom line of what DCI did financially in 2017 and what the spent and earned from this specific area.

$95,000 Estimate is just that an estimate. That is for a quality coverage of the events (Different 2-3) Camera Angles, Director, Control Board, Director to make sure that the cameras are pointing at the right thing and the feed is showing the right camera angle at the right moment. A Media Engineer who can make sure all the equipment is working and sounding right.  And 2-3 Camera operators (Interns, similar to the Media directors that the corps pay to follow them around all summer)

In all honesty all you need for a solid viewing experience these days is a Smart Phone, A Twitch App, and a Solid Internet connection.

And you're right I don't know what the details are in FLO/DCI agreement, but I would guess that you don't either. All you are contributing to the conversation is trying to dispute my estimates with nothing to provide of your own.

The way you see the resistance to any type of out of the box idea is pretty silly. 

Imagining these same people would never make a good business owner. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

DCI's 990 which I pulled the numbers from give you the bottom line of what DCI did financially in 2017 and what the spent and earned from this specific area.

$95,000 Estimate is just that an estimate. That is for a quality coverage of the events (Different 2-3) Camera Angles, Director, Control Board, Director to make sure that the cameras are pointing at the right thing and the feed is showing the right camera angle at the right moment. A Media Engineer who can make sure all the equipment is working and sounding right.  And 2-3 Camera operators (Interns, similar to the Media directors that the corps pay to follow them around all summer)

In all honesty all you need for a solid viewing experience these days is a Smart Phone, A Twitch App, and a Solid Internet connection.

And you're right I don't know what the details are in FLO/DCI agreement, but I would guess that you don't either. All you are contributing to the conversation is trying to dispute my estimates with nothing to provide of your own.

You just lost me here.  You cannot get a solid drum corps viewing experience with a phone!!!!  

6 minutes ago, oldbandguy said:

You just lost me here.  You cannot get a solid drum corps viewing experience with a phone!!!!  

I would characterize the viewing experience of the old DCI Live/ Fan Network shows as a good viewing experience.

One Shot from the press Box, Sound as its heard from the press box.

The Cameras on the Latest Smart phones are much better than the handheld camcorders used in the 2000's

A Solid Internet connection can stream at 1080p, we used to get 480 if we where lucky in the 2000's 

Heck even throw in a dedicated Microphone for the phone and boom  

https://www.amazon.ca/Shure-MV88-Digital-Condenser-Microphone/dp/B010W6W8OW/ref=asc_df_B010W6W8OW/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=292937956746&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11751365889879362323&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9001033&hvtargid=pla-369984223586&psc=1 

You got a good viewing experience that we all adored from DCI Fan Network.. 

1 hour ago, Glenn426 said:

I'm sure your handful of unexperienced interns will do an amazing job. There is a difference between streaming a live event and being able film hours and hours of content that is then edited together. You've only got one shot at a live event.

You are delusional if you think this is the case for something like a drum corps show

You're right, I don't, but the people at DCI actually making the deal do and I trust them to do their jobs better than some guy on the internet saying they could just film Finals on an iPhone

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Lance said:

i watch a lot of free gaming events that have 100X the viewers and far more in the way of production values and logistics of anything dci will ever put out. 

these streams are free to viewers on streaming platforms that actually know what they're doing

they have the occasional glitch, but nothing like flo's utter and complete incompetence.

flo's product is dog doo and they are making a premium off of it.  good for them, i guess. i think it's probably the best dci fans will get in the foreseeable future. 

Nothing is free. Nothing. Because the viewership is high whoever is streaming these events is making bank some way whether it is ad based revenue or some other way. In order for it to be profitable that means there needs to be large amounts of eyes on it and you have that with the current video game craze which has a WORLD WIDE audience. DCI is never going to produce an audience even a fraction of what video gamers do. 

2 hours ago, Glenn426 said:

And 2-3 Camera operators (Interns, similar to the Media directors that the corps pay to follow them around all summer) 

Are not the media folks in most corps working for room and board only?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Spatzzz said:

Nothing is free. Nothing. Because the viewership is high whoever is streaming these events is making bank some way whether it is ad based revenue or some other way. In order for it to be profitable that means there needs to be large amounts of eyes....

thanks for informing me that nothing is free.

large amounts of eyes wouldn't be on the things i watch if the production and streaming sucked. 

dci knows their niche audience will pay for and watch the terrible streaming product flo puts out, and they obviously are making enough money off it to satisfy them.  good for them.

i was explaining that for cord cutters who do everything by streaming now, we've become accustomed to certain standards for a streaming product we pay X amount of dollars for, or yes, that we can view free of charge.   

no disagreement from me about dci not having the audience that games do.  it's why the twitter idea probably wouldn't work out, much as i wish it could. 

thanks again to the people who did explain how the relationship with dci and flo works.  it helped me understand things better. 

Edited by Lance