Here is a thought on broadcasting shows

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

Are not the media folks in most corps working for room and board only?

That's what I meant by intern, mostly recent ageouts, with a photography or graphic design background that want exposure, experience, and a shot to make it. They get to be a part of something that they can no longer do but on the other side of the lens.. think of them with an earpiece in their ear with a competent production director telling them what to film and when, and because they want to be a part of the action they will be paid in experience and a free ride for the summer. Perfect summer job for any kid wanting a shot.

31 minutes ago, Lance said:

thanks for informing me that nothing is free.

large amounts of eyes wouldn't be on the things i watch if the production and streaming sucked. 

dci knows their niche audience will pay for and watch the terrible streaming product flo puts out, and they obviously are making enough money off it to satisfy them.  good for them.

i was explaining that for cord cutters who do everything by streaming now, we've become accustomed to certain standards for a streaming product we pay X amount of dollars for, or yes, that we can view free of charge.   

no disagreement from me about dci not having the audience that games do.  it's why the twitter idea probably wouldn't work out, much as i wish it could. 

thanks again to the people who did explain how the relationship with dci and flo works.  it helped me understand things better. 

You just cannot compare the infrastructure of a Netflix, Amazon or Hulu to FLOSports and be expected to be taken seriously. 

1 hour ago, dbc03 said:

I'm sure your handful of unexperienced interns will do an amazing job. There is a difference between streaming a live event and being able film hours and hours of content that is then edited together. You've only got one shot at a live event.

You are delusional if you think this is the case for something like a drum corps show

You're right, I don't, but the people at DCI actually making the deal do and I trust them to do their jobs better than some guy on the internet saying they could just film Finals on an iPhone

Read above to what I refer to as interns.

The DCI fan network (perhaps you're too young to remember) was a high cam shot from the press box all summer long, and everyone was happy. Finals of course is a different story and I would still want Tom Blair to produce that, but everything else was a high cam.

We all know the multitude of Drum corps videos on YT. Every single one of those videos was shot on an iPhone or similar smart phone. Many of these videos had better quality than most FLO streams throughout the summer. Better sound, better overall experience. Now imagine that quality from the press box with a good vantage point all summer long.. 

3 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

You just cannot compare the infrastructure of a Netflix, Amazon or Hulu to FLOSports and be expected to be taken seriously. 

And what is stopping DCI from using the wealth of Amazon's streaming service? Anyone and I mean anyone with a smartphone or a computer with a webcam can stream on twitch free of cost. 

20 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

That's what I meant by intern, mostly recent ageouts, with a photography or graphic design background that want exposure, experience, and a shot to make it. They get to be a part of something that they can no longer do but on the other side of the lens.. think of them with an earpiece in their ear with a competent production director telling them what to film and when, and because they want to be a part of the action they will be paid in experience and a free ride for the summer. Perfect summer job for any kid wanting a shot.

So you are going to provide Netflix quality streaming and production by using non-paid interns with exactly 0 practical experience delivering a quality product. I actually think the Underpants Gnomes have a better business model than what you are pushing.

I'm all for someone attempting to create an alternative product to Flo but in order to do that you at least have to have a plan that is feasible. Again, you seem to have all the answers and apparently you can do this with zero experience so I wish you luck in your venture but be careful because you've made it out to be so easy I'm sure someone else will beat you to it.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

So you are going to provide Netflix quality streaming and production by using non-paid interns with exactly 0 practical experience delivering a quality product. I actually think the Underpants Gnomes have a better business model than what you are pushing.

I'm all for someone attempting to create an alternative product to Flo but in order to do that you at least have to have a plan that is feasible. Again, you seem to have all the answers and apparently you can do this with zero experience so I wish you luck in your venture but be careful because you've made it out to be so easy I'm sure someone else will beat you to it.

If you think that not exactly what FLO did with their camera operators all season I've got news for you... The difference is that they never had a competent director coordinating the shots all season until Tom Blair showed up for finals week. The difference would be that the camera interns could be ageouts who know the activity and would have an interest in photography. Not some guy off the street that is filming drum corps on day and high school gymnastics the next day...  This intern model already exists in all the world class corps, and has for the last 5 years 

8 hours ago, cybersnyder said:

Well, when looking at the tickets for the Big Live and Loud semi finals at my local theater, with reserved seating, there were only 6 seats taken. The market isn't there I could get more views doing an unboxing video of a popular video card. 

Good point.  I’ve been to three different theaters in the western suburbs since they started the premiere event and I’ve never seen a theater even close to full.

13 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

And what is stopping DCI from using the wealth of Amazon's streaming service? Anyone and I mean anyone with a smartphone or a computer with a webcam can stream on twitch free of cost. 

It just doesn't work that way Glenn. Sorry. Amazon DOES NOT allow a for profit company to use its infrastructure free out of the goodness of their heart. 

Also TWICH's music guidelines kinda put a gigantic dent in your business plan...

LINK

18 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Good point.  I’ve been to three different theaters in the western suburbs since they started the premiere event and I’ve never seen a theater even close to full.

Fwiw we had a pretty good crowd in Nashville. I’d say it was about two thirds full.

• Like 1