Here is a thought on broadcasting shows

3 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

They may have it too many theaters here.  I’m fairly close to three of them.  Nothing over a half hour away. 

Yeah we only had three theatres in all of nashville 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, E3D said:

The way you see the resistance to any type of out of the box idea is pretty silly. 

Imagining these same people would never make a good business owner. 

Yea, you're probably right.  Not "good business owner".

Pfft.  Lol.

5 hours ago, E3D said:

The way you see the resistance to any type of out of the box idea is pretty silly. 

Imagining these same people would never make a good business owner. 

The real issue is that these are not "out of the box" ideas at all.  These are, in fact, old discussions about these same issues on which the proposed "easy button" solutions simply have never worked.

1 hour ago, Glenn426 said:

That's what I meant by intern, mostly recent ageouts, with a photography or graphic design background that want exposure, experience, and a shot to make it. They get to be a part of something that they can no longer do but on the other side of the lens.. think of them with an earpiece in their ear with a competent production director telling them what to film and when, and because they want to be a part of the action they will be paid in experience and a free ride for the summer. Perfect summer job for any kid wanting a shot.

Have you seen any BD productions?  Do you really think they are going to turn over their performance image to a recent grad with an iphone and a portable mic?  Seriously?

Now who's talking about a "Mom and Pop" operation?

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Glenn426 said:

We all know the multitude of Drum corps videos on YT. Every single one of those videos was shot on an iPhone or similar smart phone. Many of these videos had better quality than most FLO streams throughout the summer. Better sound, better overall experience. 

That is an exaggeration.  Yes, Flo quality suffers for a multitude of reasons.  But YT videos made via smartphones suffer from the following limitations:

• None are multi-camera.
  • All are shot from a seat in the bleachers, with view compromised by the heads of surrounding spectators.
  • All audio is compromised by crowd noise.  Most have heavy compression (automatic gain control), and the few that do not still cannot be cranked up to satisfying listening levels because of the crowd noise.
  • Many suffer both A/V from being in a cheap seat, like on the 20 yard line.

No amount of interns or crowdsourcing will fix those issues.  You need better equipment and staging.

What I would agree is "better quality", though, is the ability to simply watch a performance without pixel storms, freezing, or the halo of death.  That, however, is mostly owed to YT videos being played back by random individuals on-demand, as opposed to everyone having to watch the live stream at the same time.  If the Flo service was a next-day-upload, on-demand format instead of live, all these quality issues could be addressed.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

That is an exaggeration.  Yes, Flo quality suffers for a multitude of reasons.  But YT videos made via smartphones suffer from the following limitations:

• None are multi-camera.
  • All are shot from a seat in the bleachers, with view compromised by the heads of surrounding spectators.
  • All audio is compromised by crowd noise.  Most have heavy compression (automatic gain control), and the few that do not still cannot be cranked up to satisfying listening levels because of the crowd noise.
  • Many suffer both A/V from being in a cheap seat, like on the 20 yard line.

No amount of interns or crowdsourcing will fix those issues.  You need better equipment and staging.

What I would agree is "better quality", though, is the ability to simply watch a performance without pixel storms, freezing, or the halo of death.  That, however, is mostly owed to YT videos being played back by random individuals on-demand, as opposed to everyone having to watch the live stream at the same time.  If the Flo service was a next-day-upload, on-demand format instead of live, all these quality issues could be addressed.

Exactly.

Not to mention the fact that all of those "crowd-sourced" videos on YT aren't (to the best of my knowledge) legal.

• Like 1

YouTube benefits from having massive servers all over the world with virtually unlimited bandwidth and throughput on demand. Flo ain’t YouTube.

The goal of broadcasting a product is to build demand for what you’re selling. This means reach the widest possible audience. Satisfy everyone’s taste, no matter how varied. Multiple views achieves this best, particularly close-ups.  Color and detail of uniforms, performer emotions, equipment skills, etc.

Multi-cam is where it’s at. Yes, throw in a few high shots, too!

One of the things I like about some of the video that is captured from the stands (posted to YT) is that I get to see more of the whole show, especially if the videographer is not too far up in the stands.  

The folks at Flo do a fine job; I am so very grateful to be able to watch shows throughout the season.  But, I would LOVE a stable mid-stands camera that would allow more field of vision.  Often the multi cam is moving around so much that important choreography is missed.  

I know this is a pipe dream but maybe someday Flo/DCI will be open to this concept : )

Same thing with WGI shows..

Edited by Sasha1