Here is a thought on broadcasting shows

On 8/24/2019 at 12:19 AM, Jeff Ream said:

Amazon doesnt want to pay for it would be a good start

There are ways to get your content out using start of the Art Technology, and if you have enough of an audience, Twitch (Amazon) Pays you to run their ads on your stream.. All you need is interest. Looking at Instagram numbers there are about 100,000+ people following most DCI related accounts. Adverting dollars of an audience of 100,000 are not anything to sneeze at. And if DCI had someone who knows how to monetize this new medium could easily increase upon their $497 K profit for the 2017 year... 

You guys are applying your own Experiences to throw your hands up and say nothing else can be done. 

I am telling you that in my experience I can see a clear way for DCI to have better quality Streams, a better viewing experience and more reach to a broader audience than FLO.

In the old days the only way to get things out where through TV and Broadcasting. That is not the reality now.

Broadcasting rights for an entity like DCI are ludicrous. Keep it in house. Spend the money on Hiring Tom Blair and his team for the whole season not just finals week and securing the Rights to air the shows for the season.

Flo's team do a good job at promoting the activity, Once DCI doesn't re-up on FLO hire their entire (FloMarching) Team and make them DCI employees. Add Tom Blair and start advertising your brand new Twitch.tv channel. Because its free there will be 100,000 Followers within a couple of months.. 

1 hour ago, Glenn426 said:

There are ways to get your content out using start of the Art Technology, and if you have enough of an audience, Twitch (Amazon) Pays you to run their ads on your stream.. All you need is interest. Looking at Instagram numbers there are about 100,000+ people following most DCI related accounts. Adverting dollars of an audience of 100,000 are not anything to sneeze at. And if DCI had someone who knows how to monetize this new medium could easily increase upon their $497 K profit for the 2017 year... 

You guys are applying your own Experiences to throw your hands up and say nothing else can be done. 

I am telling you that in my experience I can see a clear way for DCI to have better quality Streams, a better viewing experience and more reach to a broader audience than FLO.

In the old days the only way to get things out where through TV and Broadcasting. That is not the reality now.

Broadcasting rights for an entity like DCI are ludicrous. Keep it in house. Spend the money on Hiring Tom Blair and his team for the whole season not just finals week and securing the Rights to air the shows for the season.

Flo's team do a good job at promoting the activity, Once DCI doesn't re-up on FLO hire their entire (FloMarching) Team and make them DCI employees. Add Tom Blair and start advertising your brand new Twitch.tv channel. Because its free there will be 100,000 Followers within a couple of months.. 

This is the dumbest thing I think you've said in this entire thread. How in the world does hiring them internally make this any better and it would cost DCI a ton in overheard. You would need to pay full-time salaries, benefits etc. and that isn't cheap. Contracting this out is cheaper for DCI than it would be to take it in house. Also as has been stated over and over and over again and you just want to ignore DCI does not have a large enough audience to make this worthwhile for most and that includes any ad revenue on Twitch. Add to that Twitch has a stated policy on streaming licensed music which I posted and you just want to ignore and your idea just plain will not work. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Spatzzz said:

This is the dumbest thing I think you've said in this entire thread. How in the world does hiring them internally make this any better and it would cost DCI a ton in overheard. You would need to pay full-time salaries, benefits etc. and that isn't cheap. Contracting this out is cheaper for DCI than it would be to take it in house. Also as has been stated over and over and over again and you just want to ignore DCI does not have a large enough audience to make this worthwhile for most and that includes any ad revenue on Twitch. Add to that Twitch has a stated policy on streaming licensed music which I posted and you just want to ignore and your idea just plain will not work. 

"hiring" for the length that they are needed. Contract workers. Since there was concerns about hiring Interns to run the cameras. These "Professionals" would only be paid for 8 weeks to cover the whole season, and they would have the "experience" necessary to put on a quality production.

Twitch's policy says that you have to secure Licensing for the Music. DCI already does this for the FLO Broadcast and the Bluray Sales. So what difference would it make if its for FLO or on Twitch. The Licensing fees are the same as long as the Streams are live. With no rewatch (VOD) available. DCI posted a $497,046 cost to stream in 2017 so you would assume that some of those cost are associated with the Music rights fees. It's not clear who is paying for the rights for the current streaming structure. Maybe FLO and DCI are splitting the cost, Maybe DCI is paying for all of it or maybe FLO is paying for all of it.

You can choose to be ignorant on how Twitch works, that's on you. The information is there on how money can be made by DCI from switching to Twitch.

https://kotaku.com/twitch-launches-subscriber-only-streaming-feature-1835883968

DCI Spent $497,046 to stream via FLO and the Big loud and live events. That much money can be used in different ways if the format changes from FLO to Twitch. Also I would imagine that Fathom charges a lot of money to stream these two events. I know they are of interest to some, but for many who have decent viewing equipment at home, I'd rather see that money spent on making sure that the Stream is watchable on Finals night... That is of course if the Big loud and live event aren't big money makers for DCI.

I'd be interest to see the 990 for 2018 and 2019 once they become available, to see if this much money spent to stream the events is stable or it is fluctuates based on investments in one year.. 

9 hours ago, Glenn426 said:

"hiring" for the length that they are needed. Contract workers. Since there was concerns about hiring Interns to run the cameras. These "Professionals" would only be paid for 8 weeks to cover the whole season, and they would have the "experience" necessary to put on a quality production.

Twitch's policy says that you have to secure Licensing for the Music. DCI already does this for the FLO Broadcast and the Bluray Sales. So what difference would it make if its for FLO or on Twitch. The Licensing fees are the same as long as the Streams are live. With no rewatch (VOD) available. DCI posted a $497,046 cost to stream in 2017 so you would assume that some of those cost are associated with the Music rights fees. It's not clear who is paying for the rights for the current streaming structure. Maybe FLO and DCI are splitting the cost, Maybe DCI is paying for all of it or maybe FLO is paying for all of it.

You can choose to be ignorant on how Twitch works, that's on you. The information is there on how money can be made by DCI from switching to Twitch.

https://kotaku.com/twitch-launches-subscriber-only-streaming-feature-1835883968

DCI Spent $497,046 to stream via FLO and the Big loud and live events. That much money can be used in different ways if the format changes from FLO to Twitch. Also I would imagine that Fathom charges a lot of money to stream these two events. I know they are of interest to some, but for many who have decent viewing equipment at home, I'd rather see that money spent on making sure that the Stream is watchable on Finals night... That is of course if the Big loud and live event aren't big money makers for DCI.

I'd be interest to see the 990 for 2018 and 2019 once they become available, to see if this much money spent to stream the events is stable or it is fluctuates based on investments in one year.. 

actually DCi pays for their recordings. Flo covers the rest

10 hours ago, Glenn426 said:

You seem to think these people are not professionals with full time jobs now. That's a huge assumption. Do you think they just sit around watching Twitch when they're not filming drum corps shows?

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

actually DCi pays for their recordings. Flo covers the rest

Flo is paying for the Big loud and Live events and the necessary rights for that?

8 hours ago, flugelswerebugels said:

You seem to think these people are not professionals with full time jobs now. That's a huge assumption. Do you think they just sit around watching Twitch when they're not filming drum corps shows?

Its my understanding that FloSports hired these people from the Marching arts community in Texas to create content for FloMarching when they signed the deal with DCI, BOA and WGI. In a hypothetical scenario where FloMarching doesnt exist anymore, these people I would imagine not have jobs anymore, because they were hired specifically to cover and create content for FloMarching. 

So yeah before FloMarching came around they were just people with knowledge of the Marching arts community that could provide some insight into DCI and its community.

Tried looking for backgrounds or bio on the staff but could not find anything.. 

I would also assume that the cameramen don't have a background in the Marching arts and are just Flosports employees that go around the country and video all of the different Flo sports events.. Judging by their excellent camera work throughout the years.

On a side note:  when did FLO start offering archives?  Is this part of an attempt to retain subscribers who would otherwise bail after Finals?

FLO 2019 Archives

5 minutes ago, gak27 said:

On a side note:  when did FLO start offering archives?  Is this part of an attempt to retain subscribers who would otherwise bail after Finals?

FLO 2019 Archives

I saw that yesterday, They posted a IG post announcing that BD's Finals run was available via Archive and they immediately started getting poop for it in the comments and I assume they started hiding comments shortly after because it was a poop-show in the comments.

This is a step in the right direction and I would assume that somehow magically the rights fees became reasonable?

Now the question would be what difference does it make if the archives with audio are happening now three weeks after the season or during the season? the cost I would assume are the same or a negligible difference.

Outside of creating year-round demand for their product this is something that they should consider in season to add value to their product.

1 hour ago, Glenn426 said:

Flo is paying for the Big loud and Live events and the necessary rights for that?

My understanding is that the live theatre events go through Tom Blair's team, which is not connected with Flo.  Finals week content is streamed by Flo, but the content is produced and directed by Blair's group.

Edited by Slingerland