Here is a thought on broadcasting shows

If structured correctly, DCI's agreement with Flo will include DCI being paid for the views that come from other Flo broadcast stream viewers who happen to land on DCI and stay long enough to count as new eyeballs.

In that way, DCI actually benefits when Flo improves its platform for both drum corps AND other event broadcasts.

If the deal was structured correctly.

3 minutes ago, garfield said:

DCI does not pay Flo.  Flo pays DCI.

Proof? I heard this and heard the other, I ask for proof and nothing?

12 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

Proof? I heard this and heard the other, I ask for proof and nothing?

You might find your proof in the 990s (although the most recent report is for the '17 year).

You might call DCI and ask directly.

The other person you asked is wrong and misinformed.

I know because I know I know, because I know.

i just read about some of flo's financial investors.  it's much bigger than i thought and growing pretty quickly. 

i'm used to high quality streaming of events at no charge, but i understand that they generate a lot more ad revenue for bigger platforms that actually understand how to cover the events they're covering.

maybe flo will get there someday with their dci coverage, or the contracted crews they hire every year will get better and better? for now, it's a pretty horrible product for anybody who cut the cord with cable/dish companies long ago and use streaming for pretty much everything. 

1 hour ago, Lance said:

so zero proof that flo pays dci. 

i don't doubt it, but i do wish there was something to see that shows it. 

The only proof I have is a personal conversation with Dan A as well as several DCI Board members in 2016/17 when the deal was being put together.  

Whoever posted the misinformation that DCI paid Flo might have been thinking of the old ESPN-2 deal, where DCI leased the airtime from ESPN, but they learned the hard way from that mistake, and wouldn't pay anyone else to show the product again. 

Flo paid a significant sum upfront to have exclusive license to stream the shows. If the OP's position is right, there'll be 10 or 12 other platforms clamoring for a shot at DCI's product when the contract is up in a couple of years, since they seem to believe there's huge money to be made from showing high level band shows.. 

Edited by Slingerland

27 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

So here's the 990 from 2017; https://apps.irs.gov/pub/epostcard/cor/362754480_201712_990_2018092015713833.pdf

Looking through it now.

So Looking through it it does not specifically mention it but PART III Line 4B (Page 2, Described on Page 9) is described as " to promote the Drum Corps activity through the broadcast of live competitions and performances in movie theaters and streamed over the Internet"

A total revenue of $462,085.

Now this doesn't split up what was from FLO and what was from the Big Loud and Live theater events so you cant tell for sure but the Expense here is whats important. They spent $497,046 to display the theater events and I would assume pay for the music rights, or pay FLO... Still no evidence that proves which way the money is flowing. 

You could man your own crew of Interns with Good camera and sound equipment and one good Director and media (Sound/Visual) engineer to follow the corps around all summer (8 weeks) for $95,000. After the first year of using the equipment your cost would go down because your initial investment can carry over for a couple of years. so all your Cost would be is the salaries of the people producing the shows. Broadcast everything on Twitch for Free ( Meaning Twitch wont charge you to broadcast on their service.) And still have $400,000 left to pay for the Music rights. (Of which I would imagine does not cost that much). Then use Twitch and earn just as much if not more than the $959,131 that they are currently earning from Ticket and Subscriptions, Tiered Subscriptions, Ads, Donations, Sponsorships.. etc.., 

You can Tier the subscriptions so that you get what you pay for;

Free - One show a week with 4-5 corps in the middle of the week just to get the appetite up. Since its Free Viewership is close to 100,000 people for these events. (DCI gets major Ad                           Revenue dollars here.) 

Tier 1 $5 / Month - Access to TOC Level shows with a good chunk of the highly competitive corps and the Free Level Shows.

Tier 2 $20 / Month - Access to the Tier 1 content plus the Regionals.

Finals Package $60 - to Watch Semis and Finals - Standalone access.

Full Season Pass $120 to watch everything including finals.

1 minute ago, Slingerland said:

The only proof I have is a personal conversation with Dan A as well as several DCI Board members in 2016/17 when the deal was being put together.  

Whoever posted the misinformation that DCI paid Flo might have been thinking of the old ESPN-2 deal, where DCI leased the airtime from ESPN, but they learned the hard way from that mistake, and wouldn't pay anyone else to show the product again. 

Flo paid a significant sum upfront to have exclusive license to stream the shows. If the OP's position is right, there'll be 10 or 12 other platforms clamoring for a shot at DCI's product wen the contract is up in a couple of years. 

thanks. i'm getting it now.  i'm not business savvy at all, so this has been helpful.