G7 a catalyst for disruption and deeper quality

The G7 movement was a significant moment in the activity, The greed of a few enraged the others. Several years later the competitive landscape has started to change and the performance levels of the most corps outside of the G7 have improved dramatically. It will be interesting to watch it unfold over the coming years.

Edited by SuperSaderFan
spelling error
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

So you're saying that George Hopkins is like Gollum?

Yeah, I can see that.

• Haha 7

4 minutes ago, garfield said:

Other than the G7 proclaiming "GET BETTER!" to the Other-15

New era, new era, new, new, new, new era.

• Haha 6
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, SuperSaderFan said:

The G7 movement was a significant moment in the activity, The greed of a few enraged the others. Several years later the competitive landscape has started to change and the performance levels of the most corps outside of the G7 have improved dramatically. It will be interesting to watch it unfold over the coming years.

In all seriousness, garfield had a very thoughtful post in the middle of one of the G7 blowups in the early years of this decade in which he went to great lengths to try to see the big picture from the view of those corps. But really no one was able to make a strong [case in their favor].

As for other corps improving dramatically, I don't see it. Look at the "best of the 2010s" poll questions. Right now, the 10th place and 12th place favorites, i.e., those corps that are now seen as the ideal at those levels, are shows from 2011 and 2012, respectively. Other regular non-G7 finalist corps like BK and BS have yet to beat their pre-2010 best placements in the years since. The one big exception is BAC (although even they have yet to place higher than fifth), and yes, they did seem to be motivated in part by outrage at the G7 -- but they also appear to have been saving up for some time to buy the talent needed to move up. In the meantime, two of the G7, Cadets and Phantom, have been overtaken less because other corps are delivering better shows than Cadets and Phantom did in the early 2010s but because Cadets and Phantom are producing notably worse shows than they did before.

Edited by N.E. Brigand
Edited to add the missing phrase shown in brackets.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Daave said:

Except for the little piece they left in the proposal ensuring that they would forever remain in the 7 and "the show", wouldn't 2 of the 7 be one the outside looking in right now?

Yup. That was always the most galling part of the proposal for me: the idea that the status quo of 2010 should be locked in.

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 2

from what I heard during the G7 period there was a lot of sharing of ideas and knowledge between the 7 corps,  and although the G7 has gone away that sharing has continued and expanded down to the other corps as well.  This has helped a number of corps learn better and more efficient ways of doing things and thus helping them get better.  Making the whole of DCI better.

Facts since the G7 movement:

The organizations and performance levels of non G7 Corps have improved: BAC, Blue Knights, Blue Stars, Mandarins, Spirit to name a few

The organization and performance level of some G7 Corps have declined: Cadets & Phantom, Cavies were 8th in the first season of the G7

The thesis of the G7 was they were the only groups worthy of running a show. Not so much any more.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SuperSaderFan said:

Facts since the G7 movement:

The organizations and performance levels of non G7 Corps have improved: BAC, Blue Knights, Blue Stars, Mandarins, Spirit to name a few

The organization and performance level of some G7 Corps have declined: Cadets & Phantom, Cavies were 8th in the first season of the G7

The thesis of the G7 was they were the only groups worthy of running a show. Not so much any more.

I'm obviously (I hope) no G7 apologist, but I firmly believe that the primary motivation for the G7 was the impression that no, or few, other corps were demonstrating a willingness or ability to "Get Better" and the Seven were tired of sharing resources with freeloaders.  It's somewhat incongruous, therefor, to state that they believed they would always and only be the G7.

Your point is valid, though, and factual and, ironically, the end result that I think many or most of the Seven were hoping to attain from the outset.

• Confused 1