Which is your favorite 9th place show of the decade?

Which is your favorite 9th place show of the decade?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. What’s your favorite 9th place DCI show of the 2010s?

• Behold (Cadets 2019)
    • Corps of Brothers (Madison Scouts 2013)
    • An English Folk Song Suite (Blue Knights 2011)
    • The Fall and Rise (Blue Knights 2018)
    • Game On (Cavaliers 2015)
    • Phantasm (Phantom Regiment 2017)
    • Reframed (Madison Scouts 2012)
    • La Reve (Blue Stars 2016)
    • Thy Kingdom Come (Boston Crusaders 2010)
    • Where the Heart Is (Blue Stars 2014)

I voted for "Le Reve," one of the Blue Stars' best outings to date, at least for me it was.
But I am writing today to additionally sing the praises of "Phantasm."

When I saw the show in early season, it looked like a runaway train, too often leaving the performers behind. Man, did that show move! But I thought: well, if they get their feet under this one, and perform the show instead of chasing it, this might break out. Danged it: the old "two more weeks rule" applied: the show was  just-about-almost a breakout, that just might have stuck for future development. As it was, the show seemed destined to play to folks too much like Oklahoma's Broken Arrow High School Band from whence "Phantasm's" designers hailed. Thing was: with fewer folks on the field, those designers had much more leeway than the crowd control that the mega-bands require (too often). Still, I wish that show had worked. The Regiment might already be on an upward track.

Just now, BranchHill said:

Wild

Blue

Phantom.

35 minutes ago, BranchHill said:

32 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Wild

Blue

Phantom.

Or as I started to think of it - the drum corps version of Bond's "Oh, James..." :blink:

Just now, BranchHill said:

When I saw the show ["Phantasm"] in early season, it looked like a runaway train, too often leaving the performers behind. Man, did that show move! But I thought: well, if they get their feet under this one, and perform the show instead of chasing it, this might break out. Danged it: the old "two more weeks rule" applied: the show was  just-about-almost a breakout, that just might have stuck for future development. As it was, the show seemed destined to play to folks too much like Oklahoma's Broken Arrow High School Band from whence "Phantasm's" designers hailed. Thing was: with fewer folks on the field, those designers had much more leeway than the crowd control that the mega-bands require (too often). Still, I wish that show had worked. The Regiment might already be on an upward track.

Back in 2015, a few days before the BOA grand nationals, George Dixon posted this question about Broken Arrow's "Wild Blue Orchid" show:

Why is this high school band show better designed than half the 2015 DCI top ten?

That led to quite a contentious discussion! A lot of respondents didn't agree with George at all. (For myself, I predicted that it would win. Thematically, I chose to treat it as a parody of symbolism, like Peter Handke's film The Left-handed Woman. If you take it seriously, it falls apart.) My argument was similar to what I've said more recently about why some lower-scoring shows are more satisfying than some higher-scoring shows: entertainment and difficulty are often at odds with each other. Also, in line with what you note: the top marching bands are huge, and can have members who do nothing but move props around while the others perform.

Some subsequent BOA shows also resulted in lively off-season conversations here:

Broken Arrow's answer to ramps: the arms race continues.

Tarpon Springs -- digital screens.

Four people have picked Boston's 2010 show, "Thy Kingdom Come".

Does anyone remember why there were some jokes here at the time that it was a Tears for Fears show?

"Corps of Brothers" is hanging tough, just one vote behind "Where the Heart Is".

(And still there's not one vote for "Behold".)

On 8/23/2019 at 1:40 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

Wow, this year's Cadets show has yet to get a single vote.

I mean, it was a terrible show. It's a miracle the members were able to do so well with it as they did 

The Fall and Rise (Blue Knights 2018)

Reframed (Madison Scouts 2012)

Thy Kingdom Come (Boston Crusaders 2010)

An English Folk Song Suite (Blue Knights 2011)

Game On (Cavaliers 2015)

Corps of Brothers (Madison Scouts 2013)

Behold (Cadets 2019)

Phantasm (Phantom Regiment 2017)

Where the Heart Is (Blue Stars 2014)

La Reve (Blue Stars 2016)

• Like 1

On 8/23/2019 at 3:07 PM, BranchHill said:

I voted for "Le Reve," one of the Blue Stars' best outings to date, at least for me it was.

When I saw the show in early season, it looked like a runaway train, too often leaving the performers behind. Man, did that show move! But I thought: well, if they get their feet under this one, and perform the show instead of chasing it, this might break out. Danged it: the old "two more weeks rule" applied: the show was  just-about-almost a breakout, that just might have stuck for future development. As it was, the show seemed destined to play to folks too much like Oklahoma's Broken Arrow High School Band from whence "Phantasm's" designers hailed. Thing was: with fewer folks on the field, those designers had much more leeway than the crowd control that the mega-bands require (too often). Still, I wish that show had worked. The Regiment might already be on an upward track.

Sorry, the narration sounded like the come-on girl on a 1-900 number advertisement.

19 hours ago, kalad's_phantoms_regiment said:

[...]

[9.] Where the Heart Is (Blue Stars 2014)

Another case where someone has put the first choice of the majority near the bottom. No reason you should follow the pack! But what didn't you like about that one?