Which is your favorite 9th place show of the decade?

Which is your favorite 9th place show of the decade?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. What’s your favorite 9th place DCI show of the 2010s?

• Behold (Cadets 2019)
    • Corps of Brothers (Madison Scouts 2013)
    • An English Folk Song Suite (Blue Knights 2011)
    • The Fall and Rise (Blue Knights 2018)
    • Game On (Cavaliers 2015)
    • Phantasm (Phantom Regiment 2017)
    • Reframed (Madison Scouts 2012)
    • La Reve (Blue Stars 2016)
    • Thy Kingdom Come (Boston Crusaders 2010)
    • Where the Heart Is (Blue Stars 2014)

On 8/25/2019 at 1:57 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

Another case where someone has put the first choice of the majority near the bottom. No reason you should follow the pack! But what didn't you like about that one?

Well this seems to be a pattern 🤣! Unlike with BK and That One Second, Blue Stars shows tend not to be my favorites because of the general concept that seems to be behind most of their designs (even moreso in the past two years, but really through most of the decade) — they pick a concept, and they hit you over the head with it until you can't miss it. I love their hornline's sound, but their visual "gimmicks" tend not to connect for me, and 2014 isn't an exception. That said, overall I don't dislike the show and it's one of the better recent Blue Stars productions for me — my 6th through 9th place were all pretty close and could easily flip. 9th was definitely the place where I felt like my views differed the most from the majority — Reframed is not only almost my favorite from this list, it's my probably favorite Scouts show from the 2000s; at the same time I'm not a huge fan of Corps of Brothers or Where the Heart Is.

I know I seem to be in the minority with my view on Blue Stars shows most of the time, but I'm curious (from you or anyone else who typically thinks highly of their design) — what do you find compelling or entertaining about it? Not trying to be antagonistic at all, just honestly curious about a corps whose shows I never really seem to "get" or enjoy as much as those around them.

Edited by kalad's_phantoms_regiment

1 hour ago, kalad's_phantoms_regiment said:

I know I seem to be in the minority with my view on Blue Stars shows most of the time, but I'm curious (from you or anyone else who typically thinks highly of their design) — what do you find compelling or entertaining about it? Not trying to be antagonistic at all, just honestly curious about a corps whose shows I never really seem to "get" or enjoy as much as those around them.

I haven't actually voted yet in any of the polls, but in this one, I would almost certainly vote for "Where the Heart Is", which is my favorite Blue Stars show of the decade. It was touching but not treacly and it didn't break its clear rules.

(As for your favorite, Scouts' "Reframed", it seemed to me to be trying to hard to recapture past glories. My favorite Scouts shows of the decade are 2011 and 2010, followed at a remove by 2012 and 2015, and then farther back by 2013. My favorite two movements from the decade's Madison shows are the closers of 2011 and 2014.)

• Like 1

I'm voting for "Where the Heart Is".

On 8/23/2019 at 7:09 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

Four people have picked Boston's 2010 show, "Thy Kingdom Come".

Does anyone remember why there were some jokes here at the time that it was a Tears for Fears show?

Hint:

5bd2f27d629f4b0a832f782c_zyfcyQ3px-9qaxF