It is time for the business of the activity to evolve

If DCI is the major league of the marching arts, why don't we approach it that way? In other major leagues:

Uniforms & Equipment are bid out and awarded to one company for all teams. This provides for economies of scale and financial benefits.

It's time that we run the activity with the smarts of a business and the heart of a non profit.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

As far as uniforms,companies like Nike,Adidas,Champion can make team specific 

uniforms.

So there's no reason that same approach can't be used by DCI for corps uniforms.

I also think DCI is missing out on a number of "economics of scale" opportunities:

1.Bid out non perishable food items, including,of course  PB&J.       :-)

2.Bid out non-food dry goods like cleaning supplies

3.Bid out vehicle leasing

4.it may be a bit more complicated,but a number of companies

bid out fuel purchases for their vehicles all over the states.

DCI knows every corps' travel itinerary ,housing locations etc.

So they should be able to work out the logistics for food and dry goods.

I'd also think,depending on locations,they could work with places like

Costco for perishable food items.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Nike pays to get the NFL jersey contract, because butts in the stand want to wear the same thing and will pay $150 for a jersey. I'm not going to wear a SCV uniform or any other uniform ever. As far as bidding out food supplies, you could try that, but you're effectively 22 taco trucks and 24 smaller taco trucks that are only in operation for a few months out of the year. You will not get much better pricing than at Costco, but it's probably worth a shot. Purchasing would be centralized (and billing). I would not want to be responsible for paying the bill and collecting funds from the 46 corps to cover the bill. I think that part would kill any group purchases. 

16 minutes ago, cybersnyder said:

Nike pays to get the NFL jersey contract, because butts in the stand want to wear the same thing and will pay $150 for a jersey. I'm not going to wear a SCV uniform or any other uniform ever. As far as bidding out food supplies, you could try that, but you're effectively 22 taco trucks and 24 smaller taco trucks that are only in operation for a few months out of the year. You will not get much better pricing than at Costco, but it's probably worth a shot. Purchasing would be centralized (and billing). I would not want to be responsible for paying the bill and collecting funds from the 46 corps to cover the bill. I think that part would kill any group purchases. 

Even if its only for a few months,22 taco trucks and 24  smaller taco trucks,serving 3-4 meals a day,are quite a few tacos.

That could provide incentive for suppliers.

As you said,its worth a shot.

Thing is, to have any chance at working,DCI would have to have to be in responsible charge of the whole operation from

bidding,to distribution logistics ,to paying suppliers,then billing corps and collecting their payments.

Sorry,but being in " responsible charge" of pretty anything is not something I associate with DCI.

1 hour ago, SuperSaderFan said:

If DCI is the major league of the marching arts, why don't we approach it that way? In other major leagues:

Uniforms & Equipment are bid out and awarded to one company for all teams. 

Not true. Nike. Under Armor. Adidas. All make uniforms. 

Business model, other than uniforms:

What is the problem statement?  What are we trying to fix here?  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Not true. Nike. Under Armor. Adidas. All make uniforms. 

They all make uniforms.

I don't know about other pro sports,but as far as I know,Nike is the sole  uniform supplier for the NFL and

NBA.

In the NBA Nike replaced Adidas.

21 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Business model, other than uniforms:

What is the problem statement?  What are we trying to fix here?  

No one is trying to "fix" anything.  I believe SuperSaderFan is proposing an opportunity to leverage procurement for many elements a drum corps needs.  The premise being a smaller corps (World or Open) may have the same buying power a larger organization may have; whether through direct purchasing because of volume or financial stability or backing,  or sponsored discount purchasing.  Vendors would offer optimum pricing for exclusivity in being the provider of uniforms/costume, operational materials and supplies. transportation, lodging and so on.  DCI could do this or some forward thinking corps with a strong business acumen and supportive BOD,  could develop a process to be a distribution center or logistics team or Procurement house for corps that don't have this or don't do it well.

When I worked for a growing retail company building new stores, I didn't have much buying power on my own.  But when I could fall back on the parent companies power, my buy for a chain of 5 stores, quickly became a chain of 200 stores and I was in a much better position to procure best pricing for goods and services.  Significantly better.

Nike and Addidas  became exclusive providers of professional team's uniforms, gear and other equipment by offering attractive costs for the items to the teams,  and through the leagues got the access and approval.  They provide the teams their gear and get the licenses for souvie merch to their own stores, web sites and other retailers.  Any one of the number of uniform/costume companies would love to be the exclusive. provider of their merch for all World Class or Open corps and have that business opportunity and the trickle down to schools.  What if all corps purchased fuel at Mobil stations or routed all flights to Jet Blue, or bought all supplies through Amazon or Costco or in some cases direct form a manufacturer.  Organizations trapped for cash or with limited funding or fundraising,  I would believe would be very interested in iopportunities like this.  At the very least, it could be researched for feasibility.

• Like 1