It is time for the business of the activity to evolve

3 hours ago, SuperSaderFan said:

If DCI is the major league of the marching arts, why don't we approach it that way? In other major leagues:

Uniforms & Equipment are bid out and awarded to one company for all teams. This provides for economies of scale and financial benefits.

It's time that we run the activity with the smarts of a business and the heart of a non profit.

Stop comparing the drum corps activity to professional sports.

• Like 2

I think that DCI is starting to be exposed as being run by Old people that don't really have the business acumen to properly monetize this activity. Just some old Band Directors who dont really understand Show business. They need new blood on the board to really take this activity into the future. Hell Dan was the Director of Glassmen in 85 and ran Glassmen for 10 years before being elected as CEO of DCI. There's a 22 year old Marketing major and a 24 year old MBA graduating College this year that could do a better job at running DCI and making it more money than it currently does. 

This got me going down a rabbit hole to try and figure out if DCI is a Corporation or if its operating as a Non-Profit.

And I found this searching FL Corporations;

http://search.sunbiz.org/Inquiry/CorporationSearch/SearchResultDetail?inquirytype=EntityName&directionType=Initial&searchNameOrder=DRUMCORPSINTERNATIONAL F970000033810&aggregateId=fornp-f97000003381-fd75e58c-14cc-41a0-8337-ed45308e057d&searchTerm=drum corps&listNameOrder=DRUMCORPSENTERPRISES N419160

and on the IL Corporation search;

https://www.ilsos.gov/corporatellc/CorporateLlcController

Some interesting things.

The EIN Was revoked for non filing in 2005 in Florida

The Corp was Revoked in IL in 2008

Jeff Fielder was listed on the 2004 Filing as a Chairman of DCI. 

Anyone have any up to date Tax Fillings for DCI? Any idea what name they are filing under?

Edited by Glenn426
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

I think that DCI is starting to be exposed as being run by Old people that don't really have the business acumen to properly monetize this activity. Just some old Band Directors who dont really understand Show business. They need new blood on the board to really take this activity into the future. Hell Dan was the Director of Glassmen in 85 and ran Glassmen for 10 years before being elected as CEO of DCI. There's a 22 year old Marketing major and a 24 year old MBA graduating College this year that could do a better job at running DCI and making it more money than it currently does. 

This got me going down a rabbit hole to try and figure out if DCI is a Corporation or if its operating as a Non-Profit.

http://search.sunbiz.org/Inquiry/CorporationSearch/SearchResultDetail?inquirytype=EntityName&directionType=Initial&searchNameOrder=DRUMCORPSINTERNATIONAL F970000033810&aggregateId=fornp-f97000003381-fd75e58c-14cc-41a0-8337-ed45308e057d&searchTerm=drum corps&listNameOrder=DRUMCORPSENTERPRISES N419160

Some interesting things.

Anyone have any up to date Tax Fillings for DCI? Any idea what name they are filing under?

Nailed it.  That’s why I’m happy to see the young ones who are educated in business taking the reins in some corps. 

• Like 3

So this is a thread of tossing random thoughts out there?  What are we trying to do?  Cut costs?  Increase revenue?  Increase viewership?  Increase revenue by increased viewership?  Increase participation?  What?

”Treat it like a professional sport”. What?  

2 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

So this is a thread of tossing random thoughts out there?  What are we trying to do?  Cut costs?  Increase revenue?  Increase viewership?  Increase revenue by increased viewership?  Increase participation?  What?

”Treat it like a professional sport”. What?  

My posts were trying to point out that there some pretty simple/basic "economics of scale" that DCI could look into to cut certain costs.

But, as i also posted,this would only work if DCI was willing to take responsible charge of the whole operation.

Unfortunately, DCI and "responsible charge" seem to be like oil and water. 

2 hours ago, Glenn426 said:

Some interesting things.

Drum Corps International EIN - 36-2754480

Charity Navigator has their 2017 990, but not their 2018 filing

Edited by cybersnyder

1 hour ago, Glenn426 said:

https://pdf.guidestar.org/PDF_Images/2017/362/754/2017-362754480-0f86aa61-9.pdf

Good lord, that took all of 5 seconds.

It's like a bad version of Oliver Stone's JFK around this place today (or should I say an even worse version of JFK, since it's uniquely bad in its own right). No conspiracies, no drama, just a somewhat dull but predictable business model.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Glenn426 said:

Some interesting things.

I think there are some leaders of some very big entertainment organizations who would take umbrage with your claim that they "just some old Band Directors".

Yes, and even "they" know they need "new blood" on the DCI BoD.

Dan's long experience is valuable currency and his tour management capabilities, not to mention his ability to wrangle herds of unruly cats into playing well together, are proven, demonstrable, and evident in fact.

I'm sorry, but the last sentence of your first paragraph is insulting, unproven, and likely not even close to true.  This activity, and the leadership qualities of its leader, are unique to darn-near any other you can name.  I would challenge you back to find this 22-year-old straw person and introduce him/her to us.

Non-profit corporations are still corporations.  To put it succinctly, DCI is run as a "not for profit" and each drum corps is run as a non-profit.  Specifically, DCI returns all of its "profit" to the corps each year and keeps little or nothing for itself.

All of the other bits you list are common data points easily found.  Jeff Fiedler has done a bunch of stuff in the activity since he was Board Chair.

"Up to date Tax Fillings (sic)"?  See Guidestar for a three year history of DCI's, and each corps', 990s.

DCI files their 990s under Drum Corps International.

1 hour ago, rpbobcat said:

My posts were trying to point out that there some pretty simple/basic "economics of scale" that DCI could look into to cut certain costs.

But, as i also posted,this would only work if DCI was willing to take responsible charge of the whole operation.

Unfortunately, DCI and "responsible charge" seem to be like oil and water. 

Unnecessary cheap shot.