It is time for the business of the activity to evolve

6 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Late arriving to this party.  Just in case anyone gets the wrong idea about the above:

DCI is a 501(c)3 "not-for-profit" organization.

Their Illinois incorporation ceased because they moved to Indiana.

IIRC, Jeff Fiedler was chairman of the DCI Executive Board, which at the time was composed of six corps directors and three outside people.

Criminy!  Where have you been?  I've been bailing like mad here!  🙂 

:sarcasm:

4 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

The formula was presented in this post by cixelsyd last August (to which, as I recalled, you responded -- a point which helped me find it again since I couldn't remember who had posted it).

Dang!  That completely slipped my mind!  I stand corrected!  Interesting.  I wonder what that would make the cost of our old Dublin show compared to what we actually paid.

But then, Centerville has filled that gap, I'm sure.

:sarcasm:

On 8/22/2019 at 12:15 PM, HockeyDad said:

Business model, other than uniforms:

What is the problem statement?  What are we trying to fix here?  

I didn't realize I had to go all the way back to the first page to find this question from you.  It stuck in my head...

I think the OP (or someone in agreement with his claim) has the obligation to answer this, but it seems that the problem is that DCI claims to be "major league" but doesn't act like other, actual Major League entities in its business practices.  The OP seems to believe that the problem rests in the BoD's lack of appropriate media/entertainment business experience.

He also claims that DCI should act like a Governing Body for the entire activity akin to sports enterprises.

I hope I have that right.

51 minutes ago, garfield said:

I didn't realize I had to go all the way back to the first page to find this question from you.  It stuck in my head...

I think the OP (or someone in agreement with his claim) has the obligation to answer this, but it seems that the problem is that DCI claims to be "major league" but doesn't act like other, actual Major League entities in its business practices.  The OP seems to believe that the problem rests in the BoD's lack of appropriate media/entertainment business experience.

He also claims that DCI should act like a Governing Body for the entire activity akin to sports enterprises.

I hope I have that right.

Hmmm. DCI does not have a major league product. It cannot act like a major league any more than the XFL could, or the AAFL (anyone remember that league?  It came and went quickly).  “Marching music’s major league” is a cute marketing term. Nothing more. It’s not in any way comparable to a sports major league. Or even a minor league. So I don’t know where this thread is going. But the best each individual corps can do is to try to stay solvent. Perhaps cutting down on the tour could help. And at the same time, increase the drama. Keep it regional until the final two or three weeks. 

6 hours ago, Slingerland said:

No one who produces TEP shows would prefer a lineup of six non finalist corps over a lineup with six finalist corps. No. One.

Why? Because a show with six finalists will sell better to the fan base of the activity.

Sorry, but "we're all of equal value" doesn't work in the real world. BD working for the same money as whoever finishes 13th to 20th,  rather than pushing show sponsors for premium pay (as they could, and likely, WOULD get) is a form of subsidy on BD's part.

6 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

Ask literally any DCI promoter to pick their dream lineup to sell tickets. I will guarantee you it starts with the corps that won the previous title and goes down to #7. That’s it. The only exception would be a Music City performing in Murfreesboro. 

And if in June, seven other corps are ahead?  Ask them again, and you will get a different answer.

So what does this prove, exactly?  The only thing this proves is what I just said earlier... the the so-called "market value" of a drum corps is the product of their ranking in contests.  Thanks for corroborating that!

Edited by cixelsyd
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

And if in June, seven other corps are ahead?  Ask them again, and you will get a different answer.

So what does this prove, exactly?  The only thing this proves is what I just said earlier... the the so-called "market value" of a drum corps is the product of their ranking in contests.  Thanks for corroborating that!

Their rankings are a product of their popularity; not the other way around.

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

The last time the top 6 or 7 corps from the previous season were not also the top 6 or 7 corps in the season following was.....40 years ago.

Your "if" is based on something that simply doesn't happen. Those corps with greatest track records of success are bigger draws for audiences than those who are not near the top.  But hey, I suggest you take your theory and use it to book a 4000 seat stadium and book no corps who placed higher than 13 the previous season, and see how you do. 

Edited by Slingerland