It is time for the business of the activity to evolve

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

DCI is the major league of drum corps circuits. Major League Soccer is a major league, yet no on pr with major league baseball is it? Yet MLS calls itself major league.

it's marketing semantics. you're trying to be far too literal.

And MLS is not even major league in the Soccer (Football) arena, are they?  Or, are we only looking at North America here?

On 8/22/2019 at 4:15 PM, garfield said:

I think there are some leaders of some very big entertainment organizations who would take umbrage with your claim that they "just some old Band Directors".

Yes, and even "they" know they need "new blood" on the DCI BoD.

Dan's long experience is valuable currency and his tour management capabilities, not to mention his ability to wrangle herds of unruly cats into playing well together, are proven, demonstrable, and evident in fact.

I'm sorry, but the last sentence of your first paragraph is insulting, unproven, and likely not even close to true.  This activity, and the leadership qualities of its leader, are unique to darn-near any other you can name.  I would challenge you back to find this 22-year-old straw person and introduce him/her to us.

Non-profit corporations are still corporations.  To put it succinctly, DCI is run as a "not for profit" and each drum corps is run as a non-profit.  Specifically, DCI returns all of its "profit" to the corps each year and keeps little or nothing for itself.

All of the other bits you list are common data points easily found.  Jeff Fiedler has done a bunch of stuff in the activity since he was Board Chair.

"Up to date Tax Fillings (sic)"?  See Guidestar for a three year history of DCI's, and each corps', 990s.

DCI files their 990s under Drum Corps International.

On 8/23/2019 at 12:17 AM, LabMaster said:

So it’s all perfect?  No improvements needed?  No opportunities for future planning?

Of course all is not perfect.  

The future will be decided by them.  All of the "improvements" being hashed here and elsewhere will likely be considered by the corps at large.  "Future Planning" has been ongoing, of course.  The question is whether current planning will look like the past, or whether some new visions and functions will be introduced.

4 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

This sets up a thought / question I have had for a while:  Suppose at a competition very early in the season, 2 Corps swiched identities and were announced as the other Corps. 

For example - lets say BD and BDB premier at the same show, but BD is placed in the show order, announced as BDB, & vice versa. Would the judges have the guts to place the Corps announced as BDB ahead of BD?  

Yes. They would. It would be so obvious. Age, experience, tone, percussion technique, quality of the guard, the demand, body technique, and on and on. My guess is, less than 30 seconds into the show the judges would realize which corps they were really judging. 

4 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

My guess is, less than 30 seconds into the show the judges would realize which corps they were really judging. 

The head judge and others better have caught the mistake before the corps starts to set up.

Edited by Ghost

3 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

Yes. They would. It would be so obvious. Age, experience, tone, percussion technique, quality of the guard, the demand, body technique, and on and on. My guess is, less than 30 seconds into the show the judges would realize which corps they were really judging. 

I hope you are correct.

8 hours ago, PamahoNow said:

Didn't BD, SVC and Cadets have 1 company taking over the Souvie business this year?  (I could be wrong here.)

And if I am right, their combined Booth was dwarfed by the one for the Bluecoats.

Corps, like bands, get paid for the merch that is sold. You make less but you don’t have to manage the overhead or manufacturing.

12 hours ago, PamahoNow said:

Didn't BD, SVC and Cadets have 1 company taking over the Souvie business this year?  (I could be wrong here.)

And if I am right, their combined Booth was dwarfed by the one for the Bluecoats.

And at some shows that these corps were competing in their souvie tents were AWOL.  

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, oldbandguy said:

And at some shows that these corps were competing in their souvie tents were AWOL.  

What does this mean?

15 hours ago, PamahoNow said:

And MLS is not even major league in the Soccer (Football) arena, are they?  Or, are we only looking at North America here?

only looking here because, well, i dont know enough about soccer here or overseas to care.